What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Impressive list of fun activities AT!

Are those Vassal games PBeM?

Did you play in the tournament at Winter Offensive?

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 20, 2014, 10:51:18 AM
Just came back from MMP's Winter Offensive in Bowie, MD...got a few great games of ASL in. 

They had a "damaged" merchandise table and I picked up a copy of The Battle Above the Clouds for half price.  Just a dent on the box, otherwise in great shape.

Also recently started a handful of Vassal games:

The Russian Campaign (4th ed), two games
The Guns of August (4th ed)
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (4th ed)

Going back over the rules for the MMP Grand Tactical System (in a small Where Eagles Dare scenario).

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rekim on January 21, 2014, 08:29:49 AM
Impressive list of fun activities AT!

Are those Vassal games PBeM?

Did you play in the tournament at Winter Offensive?

Yes, all PBEM. 

I could only stay for a day at WO so didn't enter the tournament and just did some Bull Pen games.  But got paired against two very experienced players.  I managed to beat one (but frankly he had some really bad rolls), and lost to the other guy...but not by much...gave him a run for his money.  So I am happy.

I have to say I found the ASL players a really welcoming bunch of guys.  I hadn't been to one of these before, and it had a much more friendly atmosphere than some other events I have been to.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

How has this thread done dormant for so long?  Re-energizing it...

Some ASL today.  Have been playing a TON of ASL lately and GOD I love this game.  Let me tell you this; if you live in an area with other ASL players and thus have the opportunity to play against an experienced player who is willing to help teach you the game (most will)...and if you have an interest in learning ASL, then do yourself the favor and hook up with him/them and learn it.  No other gaming experience will surpass it, I assure you!

Scenario At Start - J169 (from the very recent Journal #11).  Playing the Germans here.  Towards the far side of the map from me is several multi-hex buildings which are factories. I have to take 3 of the 4 or otherwise make sure that no 'Good Order' Americans are in any of them.  This scenario has seen about every crazy thing that *could* happen actually happen.  Gun duels with the AFV's, placed Demo charges, a Beserker, Sniper taking some crucial shots and lots of close combat.  We played all day today and have only gotten through 4 of the 6 turns but man, what a blast.  Love this game!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Who knew...there are two threads with identical titles. It's the other 'What's on your table right now?' thread that's been getting most of the love for the last year or two. The other one is a dozen topics or so down the list at the moment. Here's a link to the (current) last page:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10771.780

I am also fortunate to live in an area with a healthy ASL community. These days I have little desire to play anything else.

I'm currently prepping to play another scenario from Journal 11: VotG26 Bad Day For The Luftwaffe. We played it last week already and enjoyed it so much we just had to switch sides and replay it again next week.

GJK

Yeah, I was sure that there was a "what's on your table" thread that had been replied to more recently but this is the one that came up in the search.  Oh well, we can make this the "What ASL is on your table?".   O0

We played "Bedbugs in Bedburg" (similarly named) scenario from J11 last weekend for our monthly club meeting that I hosted.  I was just talking to one of the guys yesterday about our group; 5 of us fell out of the game and just stopped playing for about a 5 year period (me included) but almost simultaneously each of us has come back and so our monthly pow-wow's have been popular.  The Texas Team Tournament is coming up in June and I'm anxious to see how I'll do this year.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

rickbill

Quartermaster General
Liberty or Death
WSS2: LBF40 (while waiting for Paths to Hell!)

Jamm

Playtesting in Normandy for next volume of Old School Tactical.
Shermans go Boom  :buck2:

When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

panzerde

Red Poppies Campaigns: Ypres, both cardboard and Vassal:

Really liking this. Fast to play but challenging.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 05, 2016, 09:55:58 PM
just came in the mail today

I've seen that.  I'll be curious to know what you think of it.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

So far, I'm really digging it :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Third Reich, "John Prados, Avalanche Press" style.  Custom map (my design).  This game never gained traction despite the name of a very popular designer and the pedigree of the game because a) it was from AP and b) it was plagued by a horribly written rulebook and stupid graphics issues with the first edition map and c) people scoffed at the "bucket of dice" combat system.  Said that, there is really a brilliant design here.  Lots of politics via political chits that can totally throw a wrench in how things did play out and it boasts a really nicely detailed combat system.  The AP website has a ton of extra's that can be downloaded for this series and it really adds a lot of depth for a game that is really pretty simple to play (out of the box).

Note: crappy looking pictures with a crappy Android phone that work has graciously provided to me.  Game is laid out in the wonderful looking table that I built and will likely sit in there, concealed when not being played, for several months. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer