What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Always wanted to try that version.
Is it very different from Ah's Third Reich other than the combat system?
What's different about your map?
Have you played the Pacific version?

bayonetbrant

Bring it to Origins!  Let's all play :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Rekim

great looking map.

what was the problem with the original map? I seem to recall there being a big seam between the mounted boards.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: Rekim on May 14, 2016, 07:10:37 AM
great looking map.

what was the problem with the original map? I seem to recall there being a big seam between the mounted boards.

There was a number of issues.  The hexes on the original map were also 1/2" so it was very congested in central Europe.  Yes, big seams between the boards and they had an extra hexrow graphic super-imposed in Russia (printing error).  Mostly though, the original graphics were just horrendous (IMO).  *Very* green and *very* busy and it would just give you a headache to look at it.  I'm *o.k* with my version but have already started to do a more traditional mercator projection instead the projection that was originally used (I think it's mercator also but it's tilted so that it fits more fully on the mapsheet). 

But yeah - somebody fly me out to Origins and let's party!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on May 14, 2016, 09:48:56 AMBut yeah - somebody fly me out to Origins and let's party!

I'm not sure any of us are flying.  We're all bringing too many games! :D

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 14, 2016, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: GJK on May 14, 2016, 09:48:56 AMBut yeah - somebody fly me out to Origins and let's party!

I'm not sure any of us are flying.  We're all bringing too many games! :D

In both directions!  :D

GJK

Missed this earlier-

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2016, 05:06:50 AM
Always wanted to try that version.
Is it very different from Ah's Third Reich other than the combat system?

Similar enough but uniquely different is how I'd classify it.  It's not as "chess-like" as the original in that you can make a bonehead error and not lose the entire war over it.  Of course if you make enough boneheads like I tend to do, then you'll lose the war irregardless. 

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2016, 05:06:50 AMWhat's different about your map?

See next post.

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2016, 05:06:50 AMHave you played the Pacific version?

I have not.  I have the player's guide for this game and I'm very seriously contemplating on picking up the Pacific game.  The question for myself though is will/would I actually every play it.  I'm kind of waiting for my opinion on the ETO game first though I know a PTO game will always be vastly different than it's ETO cousin just because of the scale.  Also, and it's very unfortunate, but there's not a lot of reviews on this series on BGG because I think people have just shied away from it for the reasons that I mentioned previously.  I'd be tickled almost pink if this really turns out to be a hidden gem.

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Ok, so I'm going through the evolution of map design here.  I like the map (redo) that I did for this game some 8 or 9 years ago.  But I'm not creaming over it.  That sounds gross...I'm not thoroughly thrilled with it.   So here's where I'm at now on redesigning it yet again:

Ok - here's the original map (which I redrew keeping faithful to it another lifetime ago):

You can see how I've rotated it to give it the landscape of Europe that I think we're more used to in our games.  I want a printed version of this map that does the same.  In my mind and with my OCD'ness, I keep wanting to rotate the map that I have on my table because it's bugging the crap out of me that it's not "straight".  So I'm going to "fix" that....

So I've rotated it to a position that I like and I've started to redraw it again:

What I've also done is I've redrawn the coastlines.  That's another thing with the JP3R map - my freakin' cat could make a more professional looking drawing of the coastlines than the artist for this map did.  So I'm using the original 3R map (also one that I redrew) to give me some guidance on how to draw the continents of Europe and N. Africa.  Here I have the 3 maps layered together:

And this is where I'm at now.  And no, the mountains aren't going to look like little chocolate candies when it's all said and done  :)

Kinda cool.  Very fun in a geeky sort of way. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

This may sound like an odd question but, by rotating the hexes to point-side up in certain spots on the map could gameplay be affected, adding or taking away or re-orienting choke points or what not?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 14, 2016, 01:43:22 PM
This may sound like an odd question but, by rotating the hexes to point-side up in certain spots on the map could gameplay be affected, adding or taking away or re-orienting choke points or what not?

Yeah...probably.  Maybe.  Dunno.  Easy enough (and fun enough) to print off a set and see how differently it plays.  Good question though.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Gary,
Another question: do you scan the original paper maps yourself or do you take them somewhere that can scan large maps but not fuss about whether they are copyright or not? I tried scanning a game map a while back on the flatbed part of my MF printer. The result: not only are there obvious seams after stitching the scans together but the color values vary slightly from scan to scan. I was hoping to drive out to the nearest Fedex/Kinkos but they are not close and I've heard they are very copyright-shy about what they will scan. I emailed the game's publisher with a request to allow me to scan for personal use in creating a VASSAL mod but never heard back. I even offered to turn over the mod to them afterwards but heard nary a peep.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GJK

Yeah brother, I just scan them in and then stitch them together within Photoshop.  That creates my template that I then draw upon.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

I don't have PS so I used GIMP. The map looked pretty craptacular when done. I do know next time I'll have to scan bigger overlaps since my scanner is just about 8 2/3 inches wide.