What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Certainly every COIN game yet released (and those proposed for release) are wargames.  You're a weird kind of pedant if you can call TS a wargame and not the COIN games, as I've seen argued.  I was, largely (not entirely), set free from my love of miniatures by Paddy Griffiths who argued that the greatest mistake wargames ever made was fetishising miniatures.  Much the same could be said of hexes and counters.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on May 22, 2016, 10:15:47 PM
Certainly every COIN game yet released (and those proposed for release) are wargames.  You're a weird kind of pedant if you can call TS a wargame and not the COIN games, as I've seen argued.  I was, largely (not entirely), set free from my love of miniatures by Paddy Griffiths who argued that the greatest mistake wargames ever made was fetishising miniatures.  Much the same could be said of hexes and counters.

What's "TS"?

smittyohio

Nefaro

Quote from: smittyohio on May 23, 2016, 09:38:07 PM
Twilight Struggle

Thanks.

I've still never played TS, nor Labyrinth.

But I consider both those, and the COIN series, as Political "Warfare" as much, or more than, the traditional kind.   Military-Politico Wargame? 

It still has very Euro-centric mechanics.  Which doesn't necessarily disqualify it as a "Wargame", IMO.  I'm certainly not one of those with a rigid classification of the subject (i.e. "must have hexes & counters!!").  ;D

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on May 23, 2016, 09:52:50 PM
But I consider both those, and the COIN series, as Political "Warfare" as much, or more than, the traditional kind.   Military-Politico Wargame? 

It still has very Euro-centric mechanics.  Which doesn't necessarily disqualify it as a "Wargame", IMO.  I'm certainly not one of those with a rigid classification of the subject (i.e. "must have hexes & counters!!").  ;D

+1. Definitely wargames, regardless of the Euro mechanics. I'm just not typically excited by Euro mechanics or the political aspects of games like this.  I don't really enjoy base building games either, or even stuff like Civ. Completely valid games, often easily classed as wargames, but not my thing.

A lot of wargamers have certain periods that they tend to enjoy or not enjoy. There really isn't a historical (or even SF) period I don't enjoy. What I don't enjoy are certain mechanics or games that focus on politics and diplomacy as much or more than the military part of things.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

ArizonaTank

Pursuit of Glory, over Skype with opponent 3000 miles away.  Allenby is ready to crush the Turks in the south.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

BanzaiCat

These just arrived this week...though work continues to kick my ass and make it impossible for me to even open them up!

I'm going to savor the moment when I do get to finally open them...which is really sad, actually, but considering how much time I've had for games lately...essentially zero...Silent Victory should be a LOT of fun and allow me to blow off some steam from being all work and no play.

Derek over at SingleHandedWarfare convinced me to finally buy Firefly: The Game, after his video review of it. The people I've gone to game night with more than a year ago are coordinating a get-together tomorrow and...and...I think I'm going to NOT work and go! They said they have Firefly plus one expansion and the guy's wife said they had plenty of folks that love the game and to teach it, so it sounds like a win-win for me. FINALLY. GAMING.

Nefaro

Cyrano

This is, by turns, the fault of Doug and Enterprise Games...the former having told me of the latter...

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

Holy hell, Cyrano!

[img width=###]

:)

Turning Point: Stalingrad is a great game, though.  O0

bbmike

Spoiler tags would also work. You know, if we had 'em.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Are ya bringing any with ya to Origins?  :D

panzerde

I will probably bring the In the Trenches games from Tiny Battle, and Red Poppies Ypres. If I get the upgrade kit, I'll probably throw in Won By the Sword.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

Well, I gather we'll be demoing some fine, fine COIN so perhaps you, me, and Doug tear each other up at "Triumph and Glory"?

Dibs the Soviets.  I wish to be fickle.

Barthheart