What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Meanwhile, Houston is pretty much fringe when it comes to gaming. Hardly any damn groups around here...at least not that I can find.

Ubercat

If my wife and I are ever forced to move it will most likely be to Houston. If that happens, we can wargame FtF. Till then, Vassal is your BFF!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

BanzaiCat

Meh. VASSAL *is* pretty damned cool, but it just isn't the same as actually pushing counters around on a map and talking smack with a gaming buddy or three.  :-\

GJK

There is a Houston ASL group that belongs to the CenTex group but it's been *very* slow lately (see: http://asl.casagranda.com).  The webpage is several (SEVERAL) years out of date and I have no way to tell if they even meet any longer, however, you may be able to pull some names off there and reach out to them to see if you can get in some games and to perhaps revive that club.  Be the savior.  ;)

Austin group is hopping (see www.texas-asl.com) so if you can plan to join us for a monthly game day (usually the first Saturday of the month), then please do!

Forgot: the CenTex Wargamers group is very active as well as mentioned - they game every Tuesday evening and most every weekend.  Anything from CC:A/N to Saga to OCS to whatever you bring.  They have a Yahoo group if you want to join the mailing list: Central_Texas_Historical_Wargamers@yahoogroups.com
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

I've never had issues with talking smack while playing VASSAL

Crossroads

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 13, 2016, 07:31:44 PM
Meh. VASSAL *is* pretty damned cool, but it just isn't the same as actually pushing counters around on a map and talking smack with a gaming buddy or three.  :-\

+1

Having said that, I managed to get VASSAL working with TBL module installed. The most difficult part so far was to figure out how the map was first hidden underneath the text box, with the initial view  :D
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

I'm not much into Squad Leader or any of its iterations (ASL or otherwise).

I know, I know - blasphemy!

GJK

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 14, 2016, 02:41:38 AM
I'm not much into Squad Leader or any of its iterations (ASL or otherwise).

I know, I know - blasphemy!

Why Private Joker...I don't believe that I heard you correctly!  You do play ASL, don't you???

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

Hahahaha, no. I played Squad Leader when I was in high school. A LOT. Alone. Talk about demented and sad and not even social. Anyway I got completely burned out on it, and it still makes ASL and similar games not entirely appealing.

Barthheart

This year's Origin's haul:

OST was a KS pickup at the con, The War was a regular purchase (I owe Doug a punch in the face), Falklands was a gift as was WarParty.

GJK

It seems to be a real love-hate relationship with "The War".  I was following that one for a while and the "how to play" videos on the Geek make it seem like a fairly solid game- once you get through the rules, which appears to be the real Achilles heel with this one.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Yeah, having glanced through the rule book, 118 pages worth  :o , I can see how it might be hard to get into. But I've read that the scenarios can ease you into the game if you don't jump off the deep end with the campaign first.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on June 21, 2016, 08:07:18 PM
It seems to be a real love-hate relationship with "The War".  I was following that one for a while and the "how to play" videos on the Geek make it seem like a fairly solid game- once you get through the rules, which appears to be the real Achilles heel with this one.

Did "The War" ever get a vassal module?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 21, 2016, 11:32:36 PM
Quote from: GJK on June 21, 2016, 08:07:18 PM

Did "The War" ever get a vassal module?

I heard/read someone mention one but I haven't looked for it yet. Maybe it was only for testing.

BanzaiCat

I'm going to drag myself out of the house on Saturday morning to go to a gamer's flea market at a nearby game store, one I've never been to before. You bring in old games, people come in, and if they want to buy it, you agree on a price and they go buy store credit for you in that amount, and voila, it's yours.

I have culled about 71 games out of my collection that's done nothing but look pretty/gather dust, and it's depressing how most of it is stuff I've actually bought but never played over the years. Or, took out of the box, looked at, and put it right back, unpunched. Of course, I think this plays well into the prices I'll be asking for on these, but we will see.

I asked a friend of mine that's been to these before at this store, and he said 70 games is not at all unusual and depending on my prices, I could easily sell all of them.

In that case, if I can get rid of 70 games and get a few solitaire-leaning ones, I'd be quite happy.

And no, none of the games I'm selling are review copies that I've received over the years; I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that at all.

So, there may be a few new ones on my table this weekend.

As for actual games, I have Silent Victory on the dining room table right now, along with another game called Der Kessel. I'm also getting Kido Butai to the table again a few more times before the weekend so I can finish my review of it.

Silent Victory is all kinds of awesome. My first patrol of my first game, I sunk a large freighter in one engagement, a small one in another (if I remember right...but it was two merchantmen, I know that). Those damnable Mk14 torpedoes aren't worth a crap; I had a lot of hits but a LOT of duds, so I was not doing really all that well. But then I stumbled on a warship, and rolled up the Akagi. I sent my last four fish at her, and two actually hit. I figured they'd both be duds...but they were not. I rolled a 5, then a 6, so they both exploded. Then, I thought, surely they didn't have the 'oomph' needed to damage her severely...but I rolled a 1, which is 4 points of damage for the first fish, then a 2, which is 3 points of damage...enough to sink her. My boat sank over 43,000 tons of shipping in her first bloody war patrol! Which of course means some peasant in a hollowed-out tree-trunk canoe is going to sink her with a couple of WWI-era hand grenades in the next patrol, I'm almost certain of it.