What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I will say this for Risk - I'm seriously considering the new Risk Europe game, bc it looks like a good light game I can get Bayonet Jr and his friends to try
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I'm not familiar with Risk Europe, but to be fair I've never played any of the variants of Risk.  The original however while I don't think it's necessarily a "bad" game is not something I care to play.  My primary issues with the game are strictly based on my prior experiences playing.  The game is needlessly long and I've never seen so few meaningful decisions cause such AP in people.  Of course this is most likely due to who I played the game with more than the game mechanics themselves.

Bison

I don't have a photo, but the oldest and I played our first game of Dominant Species yesterday.  Holy moly is that an awesome game. 

GJK

Played some "Stonewall's Sword" yesterday with a buddy.  I was rather surprised to of found that I really enjoyed it given how much I enjoy the CWBS.  Definitely recommend it if you're looking for something in the regimental/brigade scale that has a small footprint, low counter density and is easy to learn but still has enough chrome to keep it out of the "light wargame" category.

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

Interesting, Gary. That's the second time in a week I've heard good things about that game. What are we looking at here  - looks like Cedar Mountain?

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

I tried to get into the CWBS, well the regimental sub-series actually, but the way the rules were written, organized and spread across two separate rule books (core and game specific) was just a bar to entry I didn't want to cross.

GJK

Quote from: panzerde on August 22, 2016, 05:17:48 PM
Interesting, Gary. That's the second time in a week I've heard good things about that game. What are we looking at here  - looks like Cedar Mountain?

Yes, Cedar Mountain.  Stonewall is off sleeping somewhere and needs to be awakened to get his ass to the battle.  It's all chit draw for activations with "random event" type chits thrown in.  Unit depletion is abstracted so you don't have strength charts or markers to track every hit- they have a reduced side and then when they flub what is basically a strong morale check while reduced, they go to a track where they can gradually rebuild (gather stragglers and their nerves) and then possibly return to the field.  This game has a small map and is at like the 240 counter range so quick to set up and would make a good travel game.  Should play well solitaire with the random chit activation technique that is involved.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: Bison on August 22, 2016, 05:54:17 PM
I tried to get into the CWBS, well the regimental sub-series actually, but the way the rules were written, organized and spread across two separate rule books (core and game specific) was just a bar to entry I didn't want to cross.

RSS became too much.  CWBS is a good fit for me.  Yeah, the two rulebooks I can take it or leave it but once you grok the series rules (which are really rather simple after you just set up and play it) then you find the game specific rules just have the chrome and scripted necessary to make it fit at least marginally along historical situations/outcomes.  And these games are *heavily* scripted so if that's a turn-off (and it is for many, sure), then you either will just plain not like it and move on or you could play it without using the scripted rules and just get a wildly unique historical outcome.

The thing that CWBS has that I like that SS doesn't is the details of regimental order.  IOW, in CWBS, you march in column and then change formation to enter line and facing is critical so as to "refuse flanks" and all that semi-tactical stuff.  SS has no facing, no formations and the ammo is unlimited - my only gripes about it.  But if you like just being the army commander (or division commanders really) and let the game handle the minutiae, then SS should work for you where as you might find CWBS just too fiddly with the details.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I actually had GMT's US Civil War in my cart today, but it went out of stock went I went to complete my order.  It seems like it's in my currently perferred level of complexity.  I'm sure my wallet and wife are secretly happy I was sniped. 

GJK

Quote from: Bison on August 22, 2016, 06:45:50 PM
I actually had GMT's US Civil War in my cart today, but it went out of stock went I went to complete my order.  It seems like it's in my currently perferred level of complexity.  I'm sure my wallet and wife are secretly happy I was sniped.

Chris has it new for $44:  http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/uscivilwargmt.html

"For the People" may be in your wheelhouse too if you're wanting to fight the entire war.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Yeah I've looked at that one too.  The big thing about the USCW is that it's hex based and a strategic level, which is which is the level I want to introduce my oldest too.  I'm putting Combat Commander on the docket for a tactical level experience this weekend. 

Bison

And thanks for the link I'd forgotten about NWS.

Bison

Quote from: GJK on August 22, 2016, 07:07:24 PM

Chris has it new for $44:  http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/uscivilwargmt.html

"For the People" may be in your wheelhouse too if you're wanting to fight the entire war.

Of course I ordered US Civil War last night and  then learned this morning that I need to replace the copper tubing and all the R 22 in my HVAC.  R 22 is expensive!.  Now I'm not about to cancel the order, but the family will need to sacrifice a meal out and I may need to sleep on the couch for a night.  It seems like a fair trade for what I expect to be an awesome game at a great price.

GJK

Quote from: Bison on August 23, 2016, 12:13:02 PM
Quote from: GJK on August 22, 2016, 07:07:24 PM

Of course I ordered US Civil War last night and  then learned this morning that I need to replace the copper tubing and all the R 22 in my HVAC.  R 22 is expensive!.  Now I'm not about to cancel the order, but the family will need to sacrifice a meal out and I may need to sleep on the couch for a night.  It seems like a fair trade for what I expect to be an awesome game at a great price.

In my long list of games to get to eventually.  If you beat me to it, I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on it.  Being a big fan of the old VG's Civil War I was at first excited to get what looked to be an update to that game but have since learned that it's got some things taken from it but also For the People as well as original and unique ideas.  Seems like a great mix of games!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.  I've watched several youtube videos and started to read the living rules on GMT.  My real concern right now is if it will fit on my desk or not.  If it doesn't I may need to risk more couch time and steal the wife crafting tables to set it up.