What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Quote from: Bison on August 23, 2016, 07:40:11 PM
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.  I've watched several youtube videos and started to read the living rules on GMT.  My real concern right now is if it will fit on my desk or not.  If it doesn't I may need to risk more couch time and steal the wife crafting tables to set it up.

I've got a pair of those heavy white plastic folding tables that I picked up from Walmart for like $30 that I use when I host game days.  Each table holds a fairly large map and would hold the USCW map.  Or go even cheaper and buy a piece of plywood to lay across your existing table.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on August 23, 2016, 08:25:13 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 23, 2016, 07:40:11 PM
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it.  I've watched several youtube videos and started to read the living rules on GMT.  My real concern right now is if it will fit on my desk or not.  If it doesn't I may need to risk more couch time and steal the wife crafting tables to set it up.

I've got a pair of those heavy white plastic folding tables that I picked up from Walmart for like $30 that I use when I host game days.  Each table holds a fairly large map and would hold the USCW map.  Or go even cheaper and buy a piece of plywood to lay across your existing table.

Ha!  Two of those exact tables are what I'm planning on, uh, borrowing from the wife. 

However I think the map is 30 X 44 and my desk is 30 X 48, so I "should" be able to get away with just setting it up there.  From what I've seen other than a hand of 5 cards everything else is tracked on the board.

Ubercat

Each side also has an army sheet. It tracks the SP's and subordinate generals in each army.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

Quote from: Ubercat on August 24, 2016, 09:05:21 AM
Each side also has an army sheet. It tracks the SP's and subordinate generals in each army.

Yeah I forgot about the army sheets.  How often are you finding that your various army stacks are large enough to warrant moving over to the sheet tracker?

bob48

A great big heap of BoB stuff :-))
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Ubercat

Quote from: Bison on August 24, 2016, 01:28:44 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on August 24, 2016, 09:05:21 AM

Yeah I forgot about the army sheets.  How often are you finding that your various army stacks are large enough to warrant moving over to the sheet tracker?

If there's an army, you're generally going to want to put its particulars off the map. At least I do as tall stacks can get unwieldy. Personally, I wasn't nearly as blown away by the game as I expected to be. A full play through showed a number of things I didn't like about it. My friend Fred has been playing it a lot in the CSW staff game and told me that many improvements are being considered. It wasn't playtested enough before release.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

UC, could you use VG's Civil War rules with these components?  Or if not, could you incorporate some of VGCW rules into this game; namely the way the leaders are handled (not on a time schedule)?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Thanks UC.  I know that there is some criticism of the game, but to be honest I hadn't really dug into the details.  Based on the let's play and reviews that I read and watched, it looks like a game that I'll enjoy.  I just hope that any adjustments to the game are limited to rules errata, because I'll be rather annoyed if they add some bits and pieces to a new print run. 

Ubercat

The scripted leaders are my single biggest gripe, but not the only one. I think you could work out alternate leader rules but I'm not certain you could do it without some small changes to the counters. I seriously thought about experimenting with some changes myself but I had enough other problems with the game that it seemed too much like putting lipstick on a pig.

Trying to go all out with rules changes yourself would probably require some physical alterations to the counters, I'm guessing.

Also, Bison, in addition to army trackers, where will you set your manual, unused counters, play aids etc. and where will you roll your dice? If your table is only just big enough for the map itself, you'll definitely need a little more room. Maybe a coffee table next to you?

I sincerely hope that they manage to improve the game and turn it more into what I was expecting but I've moved on. If anyone is interested, I'd let my copy go for $35 plus shipping!  :P  Bonus: My game is already punched and clipped. My counters are organized in trays, though I don't recall if they came with the game or I added them myself. (I'm such a great salesman! The game sucks but I'll sell you my copy, cheap.  ;D)

- Thomas Sowell

avrotim

The Lamps are Going Out on my table.  Despite being involved in the graphics for this game for years, I only played an early version once back in 2012.  Now I can actually play and see what it all looks like in real life and not just on a computer screen.  Note to self: don't use that awful font on the Tech cards again; its almost impossible to read and I know what it says.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

Bison

I have folding end table that I bought at ikea.  Its like 18x24.  I can see wanting both a historical and variable leader setup,  but my impression is that the leaders are not so central to game play that their stats overwhelmingly change outcomes.  Anyway I remain optimistic that the game will provide me with entertainment enough to justify the purchase.

GJK

Quote from: Bison on August 25, 2016, 02:58:34 PM
I have folding end table that I bought at ikea.  Its like 18x24.  I can see wanting both a historical and variable leader setup,  but my impression is that the leaders are not so central to game play that their stats overwhelmingly change outcomes.  Anyway I remain optimistic that the game will provide me with entertainment enough to justify the purchase.

A couple of guys at my local gaming group have been playing quite a bit of USCW for the past several months and they seem to really enjoy it.  In fact, I need to sit in with them one of these nights so that I can learn it from them.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: avrotim on August 25, 2016, 02:20:57 PM
The Lamps are Going Out on my table.  Despite being involved in the graphics for this game for years, I only played an early version once back in 2012.  Now I can actually play and see what it all looks like in real life and not just on a computer screen.  Note to self: don't use that awful font on the Tech cards again; its almost impossible to read and I know what it says.

I've been hearing some buzz about this one.  Quite the gamble, or maybe not so much so.  WWI.  No hexes.  Area movement.  Cards.  Competes with PoG.  Yet seems to be a big hit thus far.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.