What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: GJK on August 25, 2016, 06:15:17 PM
A couple of guys at my local gaming group have been playing quite a bit of USCW for the past several months and they seem to really enjoy it.  In fact, I need to sit in with them one of these nights so that I can learn it from them.

Well either USCW is positively benefiting from the cult of the new overrating or it's a good game, if BGG's rankings are any sort of indication of how good a game is in general.

Bison

I've have the "learning to play" scenario setup to help me teach my daughter how to play Combat Commander tomorrow evening.

But I'm using it tonight to test out a solo rules variant from BGG.  >:D

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I admit that I love the simple, sometimes chaotic nature of Combat Commander.  The trick will be convincing her it's as much fun as Dominant Species....

GJK

Checked out VASL lately?  Fun stuff!

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

^ I haven't, but cannot even get regular old vassal to work lately.    >:(

Bison

Just finished up another best of three game of dominion against the wife.  I'm honestly surprised how much she loves the game.  Combat commander weekend got bumped by a sleepover party.  Fortunately next weekend is a four day so I still have hopes.

BanzaiCat

Got Flash Point out - one of the four games I got for my b-day - and played it with my daughter. It's a pretty simple game but highly challenging. There's a 'family' rule set and an 'experienced' rule set, so you can play this with the little ones on 'family' mode and have an easier time.

I loved the gameplay videos of this so much I also got four expansions for it - Honor & Duty (adds a subway map and a map of a passenger aircraft on the ramp), 2nd Story (adds, go figure, a second story and additional challenges), and Urban Structures (adding office complex-type buildings). The fourth adds a couple of characters, a Rescue Dog and a Veteran. One of the other three expansions also added the Structural Engineer to the mix.

It's a LOT of fun and very chaotic, as fires can be.

Can't wait also to get Police Precinct (2nd Edition) to the table, probably today or tomorrow.

Bison

^ I had looked at that one, but we went with Pandemic for our co-op game.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on August 27, 2016, 05:27:13 PM
^ I had looked at that one, but we went with Pandemic for our co-op game.

Which one? Flash Point?

All four that I bought can be played solo, which was a huge selling point for me. I think you can play Pandemic solo too if necessary, though I only own the app on the iPad and not the actual board game.

Bison

Yeah sorry Flashpoint.  I'm pretty sure you can play Pandemic solo, but I've not tried it that way.  I like to play and let the kids give the orders about how best cure the diseases.

Nefaro

I've seen a steady stream of great reviews for both Flash Point and Police Precinct, for family-level cooperative gaming.

Had forgotten about them.

smittyohio

I'm breaking out Zulus on the Ramparts this morning... I expect the British Empire to suffer an ignominious defeat.

mirth

Latest acquisitions. On the right, is a mounted map for GMT's Empire of the Sun.

And a nicely trimmed M1 counter

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

panzerde

O0  Looking good Mirth! MBT is definitely going to be an acquisition here soon.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres