What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Crossroads

Had a most fun Thursday night playing Tinkershuffle and his friend a situation out of PB Hill of Death campaign at Stadin Strategit ("city strategists") club room.

10 July, 1944

Hill 112, 10 Km Southwest of Caen, France: Late on July 10th, it was realized that the battle to break through to the Orne
River was seriously in question. In fact, the battle for the vital Hill 112 was turning into a stalemate. Major General Thomas
decided that a fresh attack would be required to wrest control of the vital summit and the observation points looking south
into the German areas. The intense fighting to the northeast had sapped most of the British reserves, leaving only the 5th
Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (DCLI) Battalion, which was snatching much needed rest in the outskirts of Fontaine-Etouperfour.
It was decided that the gains would outweigh the risks and the 5th DCLI formed up behind positions held by the 4th Sommerset
Light Infantry Battalion along the Caen-Evracy road. The 5th DCLI was supported by the 44th Royal Tank Regiment, of the 4th
Armored Brigade, who arrived late.

The 5th DCLI jumped off across the open ground to clear the remainder of the hill as the 44th
RTR arrived. Elements of the German 19th SS Panzergrenadier Regiment were dug in down slope and supported by miscellaneous Panzers.

The battle raged up until dark, with artillery from both sides actively affecting the advantage on several occasions. The hill
was secured and several heavy counterattacks were fended off into the night.

What a difference to play a live opponent face to face. In this case, two of them. They played the part of the elements of 19th SS Regt (of 9th SS Div) , setting up two strongholds of one reinforced Coys, one with StuG support, one with Pzkpfw IVs and a PAK section. Before that, I had my Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry deployed in front of Hill 112, with 44th RTR Shermans in both flanks. The victory conditions called for the level 3 plateau to be cleared of eligible German units by end of Turn #7.

As the Op Chits were pulled, there were soon burning Shermans left right and middle! It looked very ominuous for the brave Brits, until I got a sequence of Op2 chits one late one turn one early the second one. The single Achilles platoon especially showed why it's called a "Tank Destroyer". I decided to pull all my muscle towards the western stronghold first, and even after finally having been able to clear the plateau of German steel, the Pz Grenadiers had not given an inch before we called our practice game off at the end of turn #3.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on September 02, 2016, 07:33:09 AM

10 July, 1944

Hill 112, 10 Km Southwest of Caen, France: Late on July 10th, it was realized that the battle to break through to the Orne
River was seriously in question. In fact, the battle for the vital Hill 112 was turning into a stalemate. Major General Thomas
decided that a fresh attack would be required to wrest control of the vital summit and the observation points looking south
into the German areas. The intense fighting to the northeast had sapped most of the British reserves, leaving only the 5th
Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (DCLI) Battalion, which was snatching much needed rest in the outskirts of Fontaine-Etouperfour.
It was decided that the gains would outweigh the risks and the 5th DCLI formed up behind positions held by the 4th Sommerset
Light Infantry Battalion along the Caen-Evracy road. The 5th DCLI was supported by the 44th Royal Tank Regiment, of the 4th
Armored Brigade, who arrived late.

The 5th DCLI jumped off across the open ground to clear the remainder of the hill as the 44th RTR arrived. Elements of the German 19th SS Panzergrenadier Regiment were dug in down slope and supported by miscellaneous Panzers.

The battle raged up until dark, with artillery from both sides actively affecting the advantage on several occasions. The hill
was secured and several heavy counterattacks were fended off into the night.

Definitively no fun, this jumping over open ground affair!  :knuppel2:  :buck2:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GJK

QuoteWhat a difference to play a live opponent face to face.

An unbeatable experience, if you're fortunate enough to have wargaming friends that live close enough by. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

And because I'm an unapologetic gaming heathen...the family spent the afternoon playing kitchen table Pokemon and Magic the Gathering. Wizards has a pretty cool promo where a new player can get a free beginners pack which has two 30 card decks from a lfgs in order to learn the game.  The owner at our lfgs hooked the girls up with a pack each.  Green and blue and white and blue.  Great product to introduce the card game to new players.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GJK

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Band of Brothers:Ghost Panzers opening scenario - Take a Building

Alba gu' brath

GJK

Nothing says "WW2" like that map.   :o

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Painting a few minis on the side Judge?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rekim

Quote from: solops on September 04, 2016, 06:35:09 PM
Russia Besieged 2nd Ed

I have a copy of the 1st Edition.

Look me up if you enjoy it and would like to try it out using Vassal.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 05, 2016, 07:44:53 AM
Painting a few minis on the side Judge?
No Stagger - models. The last "miniatures" I painted were back in the 1970's with my dad and my brother. We used Humbrol enamels and painted 1/32 Airfix Soldiers  :'(
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

A friend and I have been playing through the scenario book for Company of Heroes: Guadalcanal.  I'm 0 for 3 as the USMC so far.  It's a really fun game and the Bushido system for the Japanese is very well done.  It definitely encourages them to act aggressively, even when on defence.  It also makes them damned hard to kill.  You haven't witnessed the brutality of cardboard war until you see a Japanese mortar team go berserk, carge across the map, and then clobber your MG team over their heads with mortar tubes....the horror....the horror.

I also just picked up a used copy of The Hunters from a guy who's trying to thin out his collection.  Game looks to be in excellent shape and only $20.

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres