What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on September 08, 2016, 05:47:04 PM
Quote from: bob48 on September 08, 2016, 04:48:01 PM
You're making me want to get the cards out again, Bison :-)

Do it!  I'm a big fan of Magic the Gathering and deck building games in general.

When I saw Android: Netrunner LCG on sale, a few years ago, I snatched it up.  Because I instantly recognized it to be pretty much the same as the old Netrunner CCG from the 90s, which was fookeen awesome but got lost in the CCG avalanche that came after MtG hit it big. 

Same with the Lord Of the Rings card game.  There are others I'd played back then too (Call Of Cthulhu, Star Wars, 40K, etc) which I haven't yet revisited.

Never played the old Doomtown, but picked up the Reloaded version. 

Glad some of the good but less known oldies have resurfaced as LCGs.  Much prefer that marketing over the randomized CCG packs too.  Even though I haven't been playing these much, due to my gaming fads being all over the place, they're definitely staying in the collection.

Bison

OMG!  The package from NWS finally arrived and it's contents are waiting to be lovingly fondled later. 

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

l'amour

Barthheart

Ouch! Italians joined the Allies eh?

Bison

Bison

Played two awesome games of MtG Commander with the oldest daughter this morning.   She played a mono-green preconstructed deck (thanks Staggerwing!) and I played a mono-blue preconstructed deck.  The green deck is an elf/token strategy - lots and lots and lots of +1, +2 creatures that swarm the board.  The blue deck is a slow ponderous big creature/control deck.  She won the first game stomping me with a ton of elf and wolf tokens.  I won the second game with a 1:1000 combo of cards.  Great fun.  I highly recommend the preconstructed commander decks for those who like MtG, but want to stay on a reasonable budget and don't want to spend hours building decks.  They also contain some very nice commander staple cards to use in home brewed decks.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

l'amour

Quote from: Barthheart on September 10, 2016, 08:22:48 AM
Ouch! Italians joined the Allies eh?

Yup. The Anglo-Italian-Yugoslave allies have been texting Russia a lot, asking when they will tear up the Nazi-Soviet Pact and get involved..

ArizonaTank

Hapsburg Eclipse:  About 1/4 of the way through the war.  So far so good.  Emperor Franz-Joseph gets lucky with an early Russian revolution, forcing the Russian Army to weaken and back up.  But constant bad news of losses is weighing heavily on national moral, and those Croats...well they just won't stay satisfied with their lot...and they keep revolting.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

The Arab-Israeli Wars, by AH.  With as many AH games as I owned and played in my youth, I somehow missed this one.  Just got a copy and took it for a test drive. 

Here is scenario 1, Bir Gifgafa, set in 1956.  Israeli Shermans and AMXs vs. Egyptian T-34s and SU-100s.  The Egyptians try to stop the Israelis from exiting off the North edge.  Firing hull-down behind sand dunes, the Shermans waste a slew of T34s.  In this pic, the Israelis start to run off the board.  The Shermans leave behind a whole bunch of dead T34s, and a few of their friends in scattered burning Shermans and AMXs.  According to the forum chat on BGG, this is a horribly one-sided scenario: I can confirm that.... 

Still, a great deal of fun and the game itself holds up well after almost 40 years.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 18, 2016, 12:22:18 PM
The Arab-Israeli Wars, by AH.  With as many AH games as I owned and played in my youth, I somehow missed this one.  Just got a copy and took it for a test drive. 

Here is scenario 1, Bir Gifgafa, set in 1956.  Israeli Shermans and AMXs vs. Egyptian T-34s and SU-100s.  The Egyptians try to stop the Israelis from exiting off the North edge.  Firing hull-down behind sand dunes, the Shermans waste a slew of T34s.  In this pic, the Israelis start to run off the board.  The Shermans leave behind a whole bunch of dead T34s, and a few of their friends in scattered burning Shermans and AMXs.  According to the forum chat on BGG, this is a horribly one-sided scenario: I can confirm that.... 

Still, a great deal of fun and the game itself holds up well after almost 40 years.

Sweet!!!  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:

Did you notice my post at the Computer Wargaming forum saying all the AIW situations are now available in Campaign Series Middle East  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Bison

The wife and I played several games of MtG last night, as a break from our regular best of three games of Dominion.

GJK

Quote from: Bison on September 18, 2016, 04:25:48 PM
The wife and I played several games of MtG last night, as a break from our regular best of three games of Dominion.

As a quick warm-up before your game of ASL I hope.   >:(
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer