What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

GJK

Looks like a hell of a good time Mirth!  Were the models expensive or hard to obtain?  What about those rules?  I'd love to give something like that a try!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

They weren't my minis, but I don't think they are terribly expensive. Most of them are from NavWar, I believe. From what my buddy said, the biggest pain with NavWar is that the guy doesn't have a modern web presence. You basically mail in your order and a check and the guy sends you the minis.

I ordered the General Quarters rules today - http://www.odgw.com/forums/index.php?/store/category/3-general-quarters-iii

The rules aren't exactly cheap, but I really like them and I have ton of the pre-painted Axis & Allies ships that I can use to start.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Nice pics!  O0

Was there much down time during the 5 hours or was there lots to do for everyone? How many players?

mirth

3 players per side. There was plenty to do - plotting moves, resolving moves, torpedo movement, resolve gunfire, etc. Most of us were new players (I had played once before, but years ago) so it went slower than it otherwise might have. I don't think anyone was bored. We were all fully engaged in the fight.

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Silent Disapproval Robot

Cool!  Should have played with the lights out.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 10, 2016, 03:41:50 AMCool!  Should have played with the lights out.

if they'd been down here this weekend, that was the only option...  O0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: mirth on October 09, 2016, 01:53:09 PM
And it was a wicked good time! ;)

Little Boats!  Does look like fun.

It looks like I'm going to be having The Greatest Day on the floor of the Man Apartment for a while.  Here is the Panzer Lehr map for intro scenario number 6.  It's three days after D-Day and Pz Lehr wants to recapture Bayeux.  The 50th British Army Infantry Division plus the 8th Armoured  Brigade and a Brigade of the 7th Armoured Div and the 56th Brigade are also on the attack.  They want Tilly-sur-Seulles.  To sort of make that work in solo play, I've apportioned the six victory towns with paradrop markers:

ArizonaTank

Quote from: mirth on October 09, 2016, 01:52:37 PM
They weren't my minis, but I don't think they are terribly expensive. Most of them are from NavWar, I believe. From what my buddy said, the biggest pain with NavWar is that the guy doesn't have a modern web presence. You basically mail in your order and a check and the guy sends you the minis.

I ordered the General Quarters rules today - http://www.odgw.com/forums/index.php?/store/category/3-general-quarters-iii

The rules aren't exactly cheap, but I really like them and I have ton of the pre-painted Axis & Allies ships that I can use to start.

I always thought GQ is the right balance of playability and grog accuracy....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

mirth

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 10, 2016, 07:30:35 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 09, 2016, 01:52:37 PM

I always thought GQ is the right balance of playability and grog accuracy....

I reallly dig the GQ rules. I have the core rules and the Solomons Campaign supplement on the way now :P

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 10, 2016, 03:41:50 AM
Cool!  Should have played with the lights out.

We talked about that before we started :P

Crossroads

Played another session of Blood and Bridges, of the LnL World at War fame. Blood and bridges indeed!  O0

What a fun evening, neighbouring table was playing a WW2 miniature game, so there was nice banter going on about relative strengths of weapons systems from WW2 to modern day.  Talked about various articles and studies as well, like RAND's Baltics scenario and how that would likely pan out.

Which led to the fact we'll try Putin Strikes next, likely  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY