What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: GJK on October 09, 2016, 01:41:01 PM
Looks like a hell of a good time Mirth!  Were the models expensive or hard to obtain?  What about those rules?  I'd love to give something like that a try!

Brant posted a thread a while back about a company that was selling 2D, top down view stickers of WWII era ships that you could paste onto a slat of balsa wood.  Damned if I can find the thread now though.  They offered a free sample so I sent away for it thinking that I might be able to use them as targets for Wings of Glory.  The scale was a bit too small for WoG but it'd be perfect for General Quarters.

Rekim

Trying the 2 player version of Enemy Action: Ardennes in solo mode before moving on to the two solitaire versions

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 13, 2016, 03:52:36 PM
Looks like a hell of a good time Mirth!  Were the models expensive or hard to obtain?  What about those rules?  I'd love to give something like that a try!

Brant posted a thread a while back about a company that was selling 2D, top down view stickers of WWII era ships that you could paste onto a slat of balsa wood.  Damned if I can find the thread now though.  They offered a free sample so I sent away for it thinking that I might be able to use them as targets for Wings of Glory.  The scale was a bit too small for WoG but it'd be perfect for General Quarters.

Oooh. I'd like to see those.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Rekim on October 13, 2016, 06:12:33 PM
Trying the 2 player version of Enemy Action: Ardennes in solo mode before moving on to the two solitaire versions

That map is gorgeous!

mirth

Rekim

Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2016, 06:14:38 PM
That map is gorgeous!

All of the components are sharp looking imo. It's a shame they didn't do more a thorough QA job before sending it to the printers, though. The were numerous misprints on the map/counters/cards I had to contend with.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2016, 06:14:02 PM

Found it!

http://topsideminis.com/

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried out my first game of Labyrinth tonight.  I picked up a used copy last week and a friend who often trounces me in Twilight Struggle was eager to give it a whirl so we had at it.  It was the first time playing for either of us so there was a bit of floundering going on as we tried to get familiar with the rules and the pacing.  Seems like a very interesting game, somewhere between Twilight Struggle and the COIN series.

I played as the Jihadists and we had an interesting back and forth.  I was able to spread my terrorist cells from Afghanistan into Pakistan and then the Philippines and Somalia.  The Americans committed to a regime change and war in Afghanistan which tied down their forces.  They were successful in setting up a puppet government in Afghanistan but in the meantime, I toppled the Pakistani government and set up an Islamist state which gave me access to the Pakistani nuclear arsenal.

There was a fair amount of back and forth with the US invading Pakistan and restoring government and me using this aggression to sway world opinion against such blatant US imperialism.  With US prestige damaged, I was able to smuggle some cells into the US as well as three WMDs.  The Americans were able to prevent two of the devices from going off but not the third.  This meant an automatic win for the Jihadists.

We both enjoyed the game quite a lot and are looking forward to a rematch.  I ordered the expansion which covers the Arab Spring and Syrian civil war.  Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2016, 12:34:44 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2016, 06:14:02 PM

Found it!

http://topsideminis.com/

Mucho gracias!

mirth

Wow. They offer a free rules set and will send you 1 free unit as a sample.

Same scale as the A&A minis which is a little larger than I'd prefer, but still.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I sent away for the free sample and got a Japanese destroyer sticker and a slat of wood to paste it onto.  I'd prefer miniatures but if you're on a budget, want a huge number of ships, and/or don't want to or can't paint minis, they're a reasonable alternative.

The sample was delivered in a hand written envelope so I'm guessing they're not the hugest operation out there.

mirth

I doubt my group would use them, but it's hard to say 'no' to some of those battle sets for the price.

I ordered the free unit and rules. Worth checking out.

Thanks for the link.

mirth

The free rules are very basic, but I'm thinking they'd be a good way to introduce my kids to naval wargaming. I may order a set of the ships to use with the kids. I'll see what I think of the free unit they send.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2016, 04:27:03 AM
I tried out my first game of Labyrinth tonight.  I picked up a used copy last week and a friend who often trounces me in Twilight Struggle was eager to give it a whirl so we had at it.  It was the first time playing for either of us so there was a bit of floundering going on as we tried to get familiar with the rules and the pacing.  Seems like a very interesting game, somewhere between Twilight Struggle and the COIN series.

I played as the Jihadists and we had an interesting back and forth.  I was able to spread my terrorist cells from Afghanistan into Pakistan and then the Philippines and Somalia.  The Americans committed to a regime change and war in Afghanistan which tied down their forces.  They were successful in setting up a puppet government in Afghanistan but in the meantime, I toppled the Pakistani government and set up an Islamist state which gave me access to the Pakistani nuclear arsenal.

There was a fair amount of back and forth with the US invading Pakistan and restoring government and me using this aggression to sway world opinion against such blatant US imperialism.  With US prestige damaged, I was able to smuggle some cells into the US as well as three WMDs.  The Americans were able to prevent two of the devices from going off but not the third.  This meant an automatic win for the Jihadists.

We both enjoyed the game quite a lot and are looking forward to a rematch.  I ordered the expansion which covers the Arab Spring and Syrian civil war.  Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the AAR. 

I've had this game for years, now, and still haven't played it.  At this rate, I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it before the expansion gets scarce. 

Would still like to hear about the experience with the expansion being used, however.  Because once I start something, I turn into an obsessed completionist.