What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2016, 07:32:35 PM
My rules arrived today

The WWI version, "Fleet Action Imminent" are also very good and I recommend.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

smittyohio

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2016, 04:27:03 AM
I tried out my first game of Labyrinth tonight.  I picked up a used copy last week and a friend who often trounces me in Twilight Struggle was eager to give it a whirl so we had at it.  It was the first time playing for either of us so there was a bit of floundering going on as we tried to get familiar with the rules and the pacing.  Seems like a very interesting game, somewhere between Twilight Struggle and the COIN series.

I played as the Jihadists and we had an interesting back and forth.  I was able to spread my terrorist cells from Afghanistan into Pakistan and then the Philippines and Somalia.  The Americans committed to a regime change and war in Afghanistan which tied down their forces.  They were successful in setting up a puppet government in Afghanistan but in the meantime, I toppled the Pakistani government and set up an Islamist state which gave me access to the Pakistani nuclear arsenal.

There was a fair amount of back and forth with the US invading Pakistan and restoring government and me using this aggression to sway world opinion against such blatant US imperialism.  With US prestige damaged, I was able to smuggle some cells into the US as well as three WMDs.  The Americans were able to prevent two of the devices from going off but not the third.  This meant an automatic win for the Jihadists.

We both enjoyed the game quite a lot and are looking forward to a rematch.  I ordered the expansion which covers the Arab Spring and Syrian civil war.  Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

This is such a fun game, even solo versus the bots.  The expansion gives you an updated Jihad bot, and a US bot.  Both are playable with either the base game or expansion.

mirth

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 14, 2016, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2016, 07:32:35 PM
My rules arrived today

The WWI version, "Fleet Action Imminent" are also very good and I recommend.

It's on my list. I almost ordered the Sudden Storm rules covering the War Plan Orange interwar period.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just found a couple of versions of Labyrinth on TableTop Simulator.  They look pretty nice.  Who's up for a game?

Richie61

Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2016, 04:40:35 AM
Wow. They offer a free rules set and will send you 1 free unit as a sample.

Same scale as the A&A minis which is a little larger than I'd prefer, but still.

Looks sweet! We used SEEKRIEG 4 as a kid with cardboard counters we made. These look very nice  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

nht

Slowly struggling my way through learning Clash of Monarchs.

GJK

Played a fun ASL scenario (SP194; Schwerpunkt publications, "Requiem for a Dreadnaught").  Interesting board setup.  My objective was to exit > 10 CVP's worth of men/equipment off the far edge while keeping the Russians from occupying any of the multi-hex buildings AND keeping the T-35 tanks from being within 3 hexes of any of the multi-level hexes.  Tall order to fill and in the end, the clock ran out on me.  I've got to learn to be better about deploying squads and using smoke for concealment; my PzIV's had great smoke capabilities and I just under utilized that.  We had a good time though and it's a highly recommended scenario.

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on October 24, 2016, 07:47:47 PM
Played a fun ASL scenario (SP194; Schwerpunkt publications, "Requiem for a Dreadnaught").  Interesting board setup.  My objective was to exit > 10 CVP's worth of men/equipment off the far edge while keeping the Russians from occupying any of the multi-hex buildings AND keeping the T-35 tanks from being within 3 hexes of any of the multi-level hexes.  Tall order to fill and in the end, the clock ran out on me.  I've got to learn to be better about deploying squads and using smoke for concealment; my PzIV's had great smoke capabilities and I just under utilized that.  We had a good time though and it's a highly recommended scenario.

That's all fine and good, but when do you finally plan on playing an actual wargame? 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Farting around with Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010-?, the expansion for Labyrinth: The War on Terror.  Going to play it at the nerd store later this week.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 08:03:45 PM

That's all fine and good, but when do you finally plan on playing an actual wargame? 

Oh My

But answer the question :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GJK

Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 08:03:45 PM

You mean like Fantasy Grounds while learning Castles and Crusades?  WTF is this that kind of comment?  I seriously hope that you just forgot to put a little emoticon there.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on October 24, 2016, 09:36:53 PM

You mean like Fantasy Grounds while learning Castles and Crusades?  WTF is this that kind of comment?  I seriously hope that you just forgot to put a little emoticon there.
[/quote]

It was a jest.  I will never make another joke again about the serious nature of ASL as a wargame.  I promise.   O:-)

mirth

mirth

Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 09:43:59 PM
I will never make another joke again about the serious nature of ASL as a wargame.

I wish I could make that promise.