What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 09:43:59 PM
It was a jest.  I will never make another joke again about the serious nature of ASL as a wargame.  I promise.   O:-)

No, that's fine - it's easy to tease the seriousness that surrounds ASL (GOD's Wargame) and ASL players (GOD's Wargamers) - the comment just read as being very snarky to me. 

Let me add the little smiley thing here, as a jest about my own "GOD's" comment:  :))
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 09:48:22 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 09:43:59 PM
I will never make another joke again about the serious nature of ASL as a wargame.

I wish I could make that promise.

It is...serious...ASL serious...when your entire reputation as being either a REAL wargamer or just a pretender (can we say 'CoH' here???) is on the line - it is deadly serious.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

The ASL crowd  does tend to be a bit self-serious  :P *

*Please note the smiley thing  8)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 08:19:29 PM
Farting around with Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010-?, the expansion for Labyrinth: The War on Terror.  Going to play it at the nerd store later this week.

Lost in the pissing match is SDR's post.  I just received my copy of this expansion last week.  I've owned Laby since it came out and I've never played the damn thing; but I'd like to.  I need to tell my ASL buddies to STFU about ASL already and give another game a try.  There - I can laugh at ASL players too.  ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Well thank God I made sure to cover all of my wargaming bases by picking up a paper copy of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

GJK

Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 09:59:37 PM
Well thank God I made sure to cover all of my wargaming bases by picking up a paper copy of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

Pathfinder??  WTF???? That shit don't belong here!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on October 24, 2016, 10:00:48 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2016, 09:59:37 PM

Pathfinder??  WTF???? That shit don't belong here!

I know.  That's why I made a space for it on the bookshelf next to the ASL rule book binder.   8)

mirth

In all seriousness, there is something of an attitude with the ASL crowd. There was a time when I was an active poster at Gamesquad and I read the ASL forums there. One person got wind of me being from Maine and offered a game. When I replied that I was a newbie but interested in learning the game, I was basically told, "Let me know when you have a few games under your belt and we can talk".

Sorry, but if you are an experienced player and can't be bothered to teach the game to someone who is willing to learn, then FU and your niche, rules-lawyering game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GJK

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 10:07:35 PM
In all seriousness, there is something of an attitude with the ASL crowd. There was a time when I was an active poster at Gamesquad and I read the ASL forums there. One person got wind of me being from Maine and offered a game. When I replied that I was a newbie but interested in learning the game, I was basically told, "Let me know when you have a few games under your belt and we can talk".

Sorry, but if you are an experienced player and can't be bothered to teach the game to someone who is willing to learn, then FU and your niche, rules-lawyering game.

Sorry to hear that - though that's completely opposite of the experience that I had (and continue to have).  I did the same thing that most of us did (probably)- owned Squad Leader and bought the gamette's and then that got too convoluted (and girls became much more interesting thing to study) and then bought the ASLRB when it came out and just scratched my head and threw it in the closet.  I then discovered VASL (holy shit, they've digitized ASL??) and then the Starter Kits came out and I jumped onboard.  I met several friendly guys on VASL that were very helpful in teaching the game to me and an old Combat Mission pbem buddy and we played every night for hours.  I then joined the local ASL group and they've all been super as far as teaching the game; even "lowering" themselves to playing a starter kit scenario with me when I first joined up with them 12 years ago.  And hell, we all know how ASL has rules for everything ('commander crapped his pants during a banzai charge and so you have a +3 drm') so I'm *still* trying to learn new shit and our local group has been great about it.  Sounds like you just got a shithead that day and sorry to hear that has tainted your whole ASL experience.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

It wasn't just that one experience. Years of reading the GS forums had an influence too. I don't mean to paint all ASL players with the same brush, but there is an attitude with many players that is off putting for newcomers. Pedantic is one word that comes to mind.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: GJK on October 24, 2016, 09:58:56 PM
Farting around with Labyrinth: The Awakening 2010-?, the expansion for Labyrinth: The War on Terror.  Going to play it at the nerd store later this week.

Lost in the pissing match is SDR's post.  I just received my copy of this expansion last week.  I've owned Laby since it came out and I've never played the damn thing; but I'd like to.  I need to tell my ASL buddies to STFU about ASL already and give another game a try.  There - I can laugh at ASL players too.  ;)

I'm up for a PBEM or live VASSAL game if you are.

GJK

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 10:25:30 PM
It wasn't just that one experience. Years of reading the GS forums had an influence too. I don't mean to paint all ASL players with the same brush, but there is an attitude with many players that is off putting for newcomers. Pedantic is one word that comes to mind.

I refuse to read the GS forums- there's poison there.  Don't go to GS if you're new (or returning) to ASL.  Instead, I'd recommend VASL and Patrick Ireland, who is on a one man mission to teach the world how to play ASL.  Hell, I'm up for helping anybody here interested in learning ASL...me and Ubercat did it a couple of years ago and I *think* he's still playing it today.  Anybody reading can hit me up - I'd love to teach some ASL or ASLSK.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2016, 10:38:09 PM
Quote from: GJK on October 24, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

I'm up for a PBEM or live VASSAL game if you are.

Yeah, for sure.  I'm on vacation this week so if you want to connect online (if you're up for teaching it) or I can bone up on the rules and we can try Pbem- whichever you'd like.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've only got one game under my belt myself so maybe PBEM would be better to start off with?

GJK

Yeah, sounds good.  Base game to start?  I'll start grokking those rules.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer