What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 10:07:35 PM
In all seriousness, there is something of an attitude with the ASL crowd. There was a time when I was an active poster at Gamesquad and I read the ASL forums there. One person got wind of me being from Maine and offered a game. When I replied that I was a newbie but interested in learning the game, I was basically told, "Let me know when you have a few games under your belt and we can talk".

Sorry, but if you are an experienced player and can't be bothered to teach the game to someone who is willing to learn, then FU and your niche, rules-lawyering game.

I think it was more because you are from Maine.  :P

Quote from: GJK on October 24, 2016, 10:54:19 PM
...Anybody reading can hit me up - I'd love to teach some ASL or ASLSK.

Does that include the card game Up Front?  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

...Anybody reading can hit me up - I'd love to teach some ASL or ASLSK.

Quote from: bbmike
Does that include the card game Up Front?  ^-^  [/size]

Hell yeah, we could do that one too!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on October 25, 2016, 05:14:58 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 24, 2016, 10:07:35 PM
In all seriousness, there is something of an attitude with the ASL crowd. There was a time when I was an active poster at Gamesquad and I read the ASL forums there. One person got wind of me being from Maine and offered a game. When I replied that I was a newbie but interested in learning the game, I was basically told, "Let me know when you have a few games under your belt and we can talk".

Sorry, but if you are an experienced player and can't be bothered to teach the game to someone who is willing to learn, then FU and your niche, rules-lawyering game.

I think it was more because you are from Maine.  :P

Good point. We're not the most sociable folks up here.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Ubercat

Hell, I'm up for helping anybody here interested in learning ASL...me and Ubercat did it a couple of years ago and I *think* he's still playing it today.  Anybody reading can hit me up - I'd love to teach some ASL or ASLSK.

I'm not exactly playing, but I am fixin' to. I finally got Beyond Valor when it was reprinted, and then Yanks more recently. BV is completely punched, clipped, and organized. That took a few months, doing a bit most nights while drinking Bill Murray's favorite spiced rum with ginger ale and listening to music.  I'll start on Yanks pretty soon.

I could still use some more practice games. ASL, and even the SK's, are a tough hill to learn solo. My dream is to play the Decision at Elst campaign game. I think that I'll print a slightly oversized copy of the map to play on and put the actual map in a poster frame to use as a planning map and tracking controlled territory between campaign battles.

Gary, how the hell do you store all your maps? I have all my scenario cards in plastic sleeves in a big 3 ring binder. I can just turn pages to see them and decide what to play. I want to do something similar with all the maps but can't find a suitable solution. I was at Hobby Lobby earlier today looking at artists portfolios but they don't quite fit the bill. A binder with sleeves that are the right dimensions for the 8" by 22" ASL maps would be perfect.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

Quote from: Ubercat on October 25, 2016, 01:54:00 PM
Gary, how the hell do you store all your maps? I have all my scenario cards in plastic sleeves in a big 3 ring binder. I can just turn pages to see them and decide what to play. I want to do something similar with all the maps but can't find a suitable solution. I was at Hobby Lobby earlier today looking at artists portfolios but they don't quite fit the bill. A binder with sleeves that are the right dimensions for the 8" by 22" ASL maps would be perfect.

That's funny - I bought a little "Pirates Chest" (heavy cardboard) at Hobby Lobby that happens to fit all of my maps perfectly.  It's not very portable so I'll just pull out the maps that I need for the game(s) that I'm going to be playing and just slip those into document protectors.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Hey Uber. I play ASL weekly (mostly VASL) and always looking to meet new ASL players. I'd be more than happy to link up with you some time. I'll pack the maps even.

Ubercat

Quote from: Rekim on October 26, 2016, 11:48:14 AM
Hey Uber. I play ASL weekly (mostly VASL) and always looking to meet new ASL players. I'd be more than happy to link up with you some time. I'll pack the maps even.

Thanks! Fair warning, I'm still a newb. I'll give you a shout in the near future.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

If you guys set up a date/time, let us know- I'd love to follow along!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Sure thing Gary. Perhaps we could try a 3 player scenario some time. Not that I have one on hand, but probably not too hard to track one down.

Woodall

I'm still learning with Patrick Ireland on VASL, but we're on SK3 now so I'm trucking along. After that, I do hope to join you fellas here and there. I play a lot of stuff though and I only have so much brain space.

GJK

Quote from: Rekim on October 26, 2016, 06:30:30 PM
Sure thing Gary. Perhaps we could try a 3 player scenario some time. Not that I have one on hand, but probably not too hard to track one down.

There were a couple in J11 (which I have).  I'll have a look at them and see if there's one that would work.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: jwoodall04 on October 26, 2016, 06:52:52 PM
I'm still learning with Patrick Ireland on VASL, but we're on SK3 now so I'm trucking along. After that, I do hope to join you fellas here and there. I play a lot of stuff though and I only have so much brain space.

Patrick is a class guy - and like I said, he's on a one-man mission to teach the world ASL. 

Good to have you onboard James.  Yeah, we should look at getting an online league going for grogheads ASL players (and those that want to learn).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Woodall

That'd be nice. I feel like I'm missing about 20 years experience vs a lot of folks.

Bison

Arboretum.  Pretty epic game of tree planting strategy.