What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

And to make all you purists happy I also have the manual for US Civil War on my night stand.  :)

mirth

Quote from: Bison on October 27, 2016, 08:09:39 PM
And to make all you purists happy I also have the manual for US Civil War on my night stand.  :)

Good man  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Getting out of my comfort zone a bit but working on a print-n-play copy of "The Plot to Assassinate Hitler".  I found my copy of the mag game the other day and started to dig into it a bit when I found Stuka Joe's playthrough and became intrigued with it.  I liked the graphical overhaul (and added cards to replace the chits) that he did so I'm reproducing my own version of the same.  Will likely make a VASSAL module out of it as well.

Screenshot of the WIP attached-
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on October 28, 2016, 06:40:27 AM
Getting out of my comfort zone a bit but working on a print-n-play copy of "The Plot to Assassinate Hitler".  I found my copy of the mag game the other day and started to dig into it a bit when I found Stuka Joe's playthrough and became intrigued with it.  I liked the graphical overhaul (and added cards to replace the chits) that he did so I'm reproducing my own version of the same.  Will likely make a VASSAL module out of it as well.

All of us out in Vassal land really appreciate your efforts to bring in the old and great games.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 28, 2016, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: GJK on October 28, 2016, 06:40:27 AM

All of us out in Vassal land really appreciate your efforts to bring in the old and great games.

Unfortunately it's an SPI game and DG has restricted all VASSAL module releases for those games but I'll certainly make it available upon request once it's ready.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Pinetree

QuoteUnfortunately it's an SPI game and DG has restricted all VASSAL module releases for those games but I'll certainly make it available upon request once it's ready.

Actually, that's a misconception so you'll be fine to release it. There was a discussion about this in the Central Front folder at CSW. Check out the posts from here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d04b/1798

QuoteMoreover, Doc told me that:
"... we have clearly stated in our Vassal update of 24 Mar 14 (http://decisiongames.com/wpsite/whats-new/dg-vassal/ ) that everyone is free to create Vassal modules of our games (whether DG, S&T Press, or SPI or other titles we have purchased from other parties) so we had already provided you with permission to do as you please."

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

GJK

Oh, that's good news.  It had just been such a long standing "no go" from DG that I never thought to think to see if they had finally come around.  Cool!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

That's good to hear. I was about to lump them in with Avalanche Press as a company that never gets my business.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Ubercat on October 28, 2016, 11:07:26 PM
That's good to hear. I was about to lump them in with Avalanche Press as a company that never gets my business.

agree...Avalanche...bad

To be fair, Avalanche does have some vassal modules that you can download from their website.  But very weak as most titles are not available....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

This will be on my table after I print it out (very zoomed out view, the actual map is 30"x20"):

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

nht

Continuing my Clash of Monarchs learning game while also pushing forward on my No Retreat: The Italian Front campaign AAR. And reaaally wanting to have time to learn Virgin Queen, too...

Crossroads

What's on my table right now? Heroes of the Gap, Stick'n Stones, and WaW Gamer's Guide, that's what  :smitten:

I had looked around for Heroes of the Gap for quite some time, but they are really difficult to find. So when Ed had one available I jumped at it of course.  :smiley6600:

Stick n Stones is an interesting concept, will study that too. WaW Gamer's Guide sorely needed to up my game at the wargaming club  :buck2:

Thanks Ed, you're a true gentleman. USPS was a bit of a pain with shipping from US, at the end with Ed patient about it, alls good and the parcel traveled here really far. USPS insisted on Priority Mail which is double the First class, the latter having a weigh limit that is very strict. I blame USPS for disappearance of Book Case game boxes, by the way  :tickedoff:

Next, some TLC with HotG counters, clipping the corners to rid the cruft. Stick n Stones are fastened from mid of the counter, so their corners are sharp so no clipping there but will need to give them some surgical cuts via the edges to finalise them too.

:smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quality wise, Heroes of the Gap is really, really top class. A shiny, sturdy map mounted on a thick base, large counters especially with vehicles, good quality manuals and laminated player aids.

I wish games would continue to move towards the bigger counters, as with Nations at War. My eyes are not getting any better, so while I really like say World at War counters whose design I probably like the best of all great counters out there, well, they "5/8 counters are quite small.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Ubercat

Quote from: GJK on October 26, 2016, 10:22:28 PM
Quote from: jwoodall04 on October 26, 2016, 06:52:52 PM
I'm still learning with Patrick Ireland on VASL, but we're on SK3 now so I'm trucking along. After that, I do hope to join you fellas here and there. I play a lot of stuff though and I only have so much brain space.

Patrick is a class guy - and like I said, he's on a one-man mission to teach the world ASL. 

Good to have you onboard James.  Yeah, we should look at getting an online league going for grogheads ASL players (and those that want to learn).

Definitely count me in. I've been making a more concentrated effort to learn the last few days by watching these tutorial vids on youTube.

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell