What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

J and D Hobbies has about 80 videos out for ASL.  They're very brief and cut right to the chase and so sometimes you have to watch them a couple of times to get down everything that he's talking about but they're a little less "dry" than idjesters videos (IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBHNj4Ivrw_q4nT0FfZEQ6w/videos
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

I don't think I'd call the videos dry, but idjester could definitely get his points across with a few less words. He repeats himself a lot.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mirth

Latest acquisitions. Assortment of ships from Topside Minis. I picked up one each of everything currently in their WWI line. 45 ships and bases for $20 (including shipping).

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Those are nice!  Where did you get the wood pieces to mount those on from?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

Quote from: GJK on November 09, 2016, 07:26:30 PM
Those are nice!  Where did you get the wood pieces to mount those on from?

They're part of the order. You can buy just the ship sheets, but it would be a pain to come up with bases.. Each ship is only 35-40 cents with the bases included.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GJK

I must of missed whatever sale that they were having - the prices are considerably higher than that now.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

mirth

Staggerwing

What ruleset do you play for WW1 minis?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on November 09, 2016, 08:13:06 PM
I must of missed whatever sale that they were having - the prices are considerably higher than that now.

I previously shit-canned the idea of purchasing some of it, after seeing the Topsidemini prices for the first time.  But maybe I'll keep checking if they occasionally offer sale prices like Mirth got.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on November 09, 2016, 10:24:02 PM
Quote from: GJK on November 09, 2016, 08:13:06 PM

I previously shit-canned the idea of purchasing some of it, after seeing the Topsidemini prices for the first time.  But maybe I'll keep checking if they occasionally offer sale prices like Mirth got.

I'm not sure it's a sale. I think the WWI ships are just cheaper. They have a limited selection and most of the types are smaller ships (BCs, cruisers, light cruisers).

Anyway, I doubt I'll buy any of of the WWII ships. I have a bunch of the Axis & Allies War minis for WWII and they are the same scale as the Topside stuff. One thing I may pick up is counters for aircraft. Those are cheap and they have a lot types available.

If the Jutland set they are putting together isn't exorbitantly priced, I will likely pick that up. The ships themselves look pretty good and are perfectly serviceable for gaming. The nice thing is that the name/class/national flag is printed on the ship, so it's easy to keep track of things during a game.

Nefaro

I wonder why the prices are so different between WWI and WWII sets.  Prices set by demand rather than production cost?  Or are they materially or artistically better in some way?

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on November 10, 2016, 03:32:44 PM
I wonder why the prices are so different between WWI and WWII sets.  Prices set by demand rather than production cost?  Or are they materially or artistically better in some way?

I think the WWII ships are generally larger. It could just be the additional costs for larger counter sheets and bases.

I'll also mention that they shipped promptly with a minimal shipping cost ($6.95 for priority USPS). I placed my order this past Sunday and had it Wednesday.

They offer 1 free 'promo' ship at absolutely no cost if you want to check out the quality at no-risk.