What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on November 10, 2016, 03:53:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 10, 2016, 03:32:44 PM
I wonder why the prices are so different between WWI and WWII sets.  Prices set by demand rather than production cost?  Or are they materially or artistically better in some way?

I think the WWII ships are generally larger. It could just be the additional costs for larger counter sheets and bases.

I'll also mention that they shipped promptly with a minimal shipping cost ($6.95 for priority USPS). I placed my order this past Sunday and had it Wednesday.

They offer 1 free 'promo' ship at absolutely no cost if you want to check out the quality at no-risk.

I haven't completely shit-canned the possibility of getting them, at some point, and may well prefer a WWI set over WWII. 

Still curious as to the differences and the reasons.  When you say the WW2 ships are larger, do you mean they're a different scale?  Or just that some of the biggest vessels are just longer at the same scale?   

If the scales are a bit different between the two, I would suppose that factor was driven by the scales depicted in a specific Miniatures Rules set for each?  And which?  I've never done pre-cold war minis so I'm unfamiliar with the rules and the scales they prefer to use.

mirth

Pretty sure they're the same scale, but the WW2 types generally run larger. Like I said, the WWI line is currently limited and mainly lighter type ships. The full dreadnoughts may be more expensive.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

One more thing on the scale. I think they're 1/1800 (the A&A minis scale) which is fairly large for naval minis gaming. They can be used with rules like General Quarters or Victory at Sea. It just means the table space becomes tighter.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

Could you use the WWI ships as replacements for the counter in AH's Jutland?

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on November 10, 2016, 09:56:18 PM

Hmmm... I actually have a copy of that game.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I suspect so, yes.

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 10, 2016, 09:59:35 PM

Lucky bastard. I'd love to get my hands on a copy. I have Flat Top and Submarine, but not Jutland.

Barthheart

I don't have a copy of Jutland either... a buddy from long ago had one we used to play on his basement floor... back when I could kneel for hours on end.

I do have a copy of AH's Bismarck, which I think uses much the same rules for naval combat when you break out the minis... Might be nice to pick up a set fer that....

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on November 10, 2016, 10:02:28 PM

Lucky bastard. I'd love to get my hands on a copy. I have Flat Top and Submarine, but not Jutland.

Unpunched because I've never had a time in my life recently when I've had both lots of floor space and no kids running around on that floor space.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

^Now I'm wicked jealous.

I scored an unpunched copy of Submarine last year for $20.

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 10, 2016, 10:09:05 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 10, 2016, 10:02:28 PM

Unpunched because I've never had a time in my life recently when I've had both lots of floor space and no kids running around on that floor space.

OMG! How much do you want fer that?!?  :wow:

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on November 10, 2016, 10:11:22 PM

Hadn't thought about it. I bought it on eBay about a year or two before my kids came to live with me and now I'll most likely never get to play it. The box is a little beat up and dishy and the trays inside are slightly flattened. Shoot me a PM tomorrow. Right now I'm off to bed. Busy day tomorrow...

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 10, 2016, 10:26:33 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 10, 2016, 10:11:22 PM

Hadn't thought about it. I bought it on eBay about a year or two before my kids came to live with me and now I'll most likely never get to play it. The box is a little beat up and dishy and the trays inside are slightly flattened. Shoot me a PM tomorrow. Right now I'm off to bed. Busy day tomorrow...

Don't sell it to him! He won't even have the decency to trim the counters!

panzerde

Bloody Canadians with their furry cornered battleships...  :hide:
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart