What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on November 10, 2016, 09:51:20 PM
One more thing on the scale. I think they're 1/1800 (the A&A minis scale) which is fairly large for naval minis gaming. They can be used with rules like General Quarters or Victory at Sea. It just means the table space becomes tighter.

Thanks for the info!

You guys seem to enjoy General Quarters.  I'm guessing that's the most-liked in general?

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on November 10, 2016, 11:14:10 PM
You guys seem to enjoy General Quarters.  I'm guessing that's the most-liked in general?

It's an excellent rules set, imo. Nicely balances complexity and playability. Over the years, I've also tried Victory at Sea, Battlestations! Battlestations! and Fletcher Pratt (I own copies of each).

This is a good article discussing the pros/cons of GQIII, VaS, and BS!

https://viewfromtheturret.com/2007/02/27/a-trio-of-naval-miniature-rules/

I agree with the conclusion about the suitability of each set for various sized games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on November 11, 2016, 02:24:36 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 10, 2016, 11:14:10 PM

It's an excellent rules set, imo. Nicely balances complexity and playability. Over the years, I've also tried Victory at Sea, Battlestations! Battlestations! and Fletcher Pratt (I own copies of each).

This is a good article discussing the pros/cons of GQIII, VaS, and BS!

https://viewfromtheturret.com/2007/02/27/a-trio-of-naval-miniature-rules/

I agree with the conclusion about the suitability of each set for various sized games.

Great info.  Thanks again.

:bd:

ArizonaTank

Finally on my table:  Compass Games' Paths to Hell

Platoon level- Russia 1941

Here is the first scenario.  June 21, 41, elements of the SS Wiking Div attack the village of Tarnopol.  A few Stugs burn the fields from 57mm AT gun fire... But German artillery and Stuka attacks are taking a heavy toll on the Russians. 

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on November 13, 2016, 12:12:02 PM
^that looks great

+1

There can never be too many Platoon level games out there  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

I'd really like to try Heroes of Normandie. Any of you have it? Thoughts on the game?

I like the whole "Hollywood war movie" vibe it gives off.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 13, 2016, 02:41:39 PM
I'd really like to try Heroes of Normandie. Any of you have it? Thoughts on the game?

I have the PC version of it. It's a lot of fun. Good light fare that's fun to blow shit up in.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The artwork has a cartoonish, Hollywood war theme to it but the gameplay doesn't necessarily reflect that.

The play style is quite "gamey" to me.  Each player gets a number of activation points each round that will only enable him to use a few of his available units on the map.   He also gets some bluff activation makers to place so his opponent will not know exactly which units will activate that turn.  Winning comes down to out guessing your opponent and making sure to activate your units in proper sequence.  There's also a fair amount of luck involved as there's a lot of dice rolling.

It can be fun and plays out very quickly.  I wish the maps were bigger though as I find that they feel quite constrained for most scenarios. 

I think I prefer the PC version to the tabletop. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw a copy of Duel in the Dark plus expansions on sale from a shop in Ontario so I ordered it.  Should be here sometime this week.

Never played it or even seen it being played before but I'm a fan of the subject matter.  I suspect it might be a little light for my tastes but at least it has nice components to play with. 

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 13, 2016, 02:41:39 PM

I have the core tabletop game. 

Have yet to punch out the cardboard.  But it's damn attractive.  The cardboard pieces are big and pretty thick.  Components =  O0

Think I picked it up for something like $40 quite awhile back.  Haven't grabbed any expansions yet, since it's still on my massive "To Do" pile.

The game mechanics look both enjoyable, and relatively easy for a wargame.  While the card decks add extra surprise and strategy opportunities, the basic system is straightforward and intuitive.

I'd go so far as to say that it could possibly fill a beginner-to-intermediate type of wargame introduction, especially if you start without using the cards although those add a lot of variety. 

All the relevant unit stats & special abilities are on the big counters, and stuff like Terrain DRMs are printed directly on the board in the appropriate terrain type.  They've cut down on excessive charts & tables.  IIRC, about the only thing you need to reference besides the pieces and the board, after getting familiar, is a chart referencing what all the special ability symbols on the counters do.

I enjoyed playing the PC port, although I haven't revisited since they added some of the cards in a beta test situation.  Not all the cards of the tabletop were added to it, IIRC, but it was a must after learning the basics.   

BanzaiCat

Interesting stuff on Heroes of Normandie. I figured it has to have a good-sized and passionate following, otherwise there wouldn't be 1,854 expansions for it. Which is a question for another time.

I'm looking at it on Amazon...48.17. I'm not sure though - freakin' SDR has me looking at Duel in the Dark (and Duel of the Giants also caught my eye). And also Enemy Coast Ahead.

Though I'm more interested in games with solo play - I saw some fan-made solo rules for HoN. I might hold off for the moment.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 13, 2016, 05:00:08 PM
Though I'm more interested in games with solo play

So play Carrier, jerk :P

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 13, 2016, 05:00:08 PM
Though I'm more interested in games with solo play

he's into playing with himself
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers