What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 08:46:29 PM
Tigris and Euphrates is an outstanding game.  You people are fucking heathens.

Nope.  It's pure unadulterated shit.  It's one of the worst if not the worst board game I've played.

Bison

I introduced the family to Ra this evening.  I'll admit that Reiner Knizia is one of my favorite designers.  Yes his games tend to be highly abstract and can be questionable in terms of theme, but they are genius designs.  Generally easily understood mechanics, but deep on strategy possibilities.

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 18, 2016, 09:55:30 PM
Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 08:46:29 PM
Tigris and Euphrates is an outstanding game.  You people are fucking heathens.

Nope.  It's pure unadulterated shit.  It's one of the worst if not the worst board game I've played.

Rube!   :P

Bison

The problem I'm having with games right now is having the patience to sit and read the rules.  By the end of the day, I've read hundreds of pages of brain hemorrhage inducing research articles.  The thought of sitting down to read and understand a complex rule set for fun is discouraging.  I'd rather deal just with 2-6 pages of easy rules and just play a game for fun.  This is why I've been working my way through the rule book for US Civil War now for almost a month and have yet to get the damned thing on the table let alone punch the counters.  I'm really hoping to get the counters punched and the board on the table over Thanksgiving. 

GJK

Quote from: Ubercat on November 18, 2016, 09:54:09 PM
Quote from: GJK on November 18, 2016, 07:24:52 PM
This kinda of chat needs to cease in this thread *right now*! Take that Euro-game crap to BGG or something.   :tickedoff:

Who's playing some ASL this weekend?  Uber - let's get some VASL in next week!!

Just so's you know's this weekend won't work for me, nor will Monday night. I only work until 7PM Tuesday and Wednesday, then I'm off Thursday(Turkey), Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. let me know what of that is good for you.

Any of the Thurs-Sun day or nights will work for me.  That girl that lives here with me will be with her parents so I'm flying solo next week!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 09:56:52 PM
I introduced the family to Ra this evening.  I'll admit that Reiner Knizia is one of my favorite designers.  Yes his games tend to be highly abstract and can be questionable in terms of theme, but they are genius designs.  Generally easily understood mechanics, but deep on strategy possibilities.

Different strokes and all that.  I have played three of his games (Tigris & Euphrates, Amun-Re, and Blue Moon) and found them all to be misery in a box.  Far too abstracted and lacking in any sort of cohesive theme for my tastes.  They feel to me as though I'm taking a math quiz, not playing a board game.

(and, no, I am not a fan of chess or go.)

Bison

My gaming tastes have definitely changed over the years.  I used to love highly thematic games a by-product I think of computer gaming, but now a days I'm more interested in game mechanics and how they affect strategy.  I think that's why I'm never really overly put off by pasted on themes.  I do understand why someone wouldn't enjoy an abstract game like T&E, but the game play fits my analytical leanings. 

GJK

Quote from: Bison on November 18, 2016, 10:10:25 PM
The problem I'm having with games right now is having the patience to sit and read the rules.  By the end of the day, I've read hundreds of pages of brain hemorrhage inducing research articles.  The thought of sitting down to read and understand a complex rule set for fun is discouraging.  I'd rather deal just with 2-6 pages of easy rules and just play a game for fun.  This is why I've been working my way through the rule book for US Civil War now for almost a month and have yet to get the damned thing on the table let alone punch the counters.  I'm really hoping to get the counters punched and the board on the table over Thanksgiving.

Yup, ^this.  A by product of aging.  I was just thinking the other day "how the hell did I manage to learn" (by myself) Carrier, Pacific War, Gulf Strike, and many others that I can go on and on about just by myself by simply reading the rules?  It's not that I can't comprehend or wrap my head around rules these days, it's the ability to stay focused and to have the patience to stick to it...yes, exactly as you Bison.  I'm blaming technology for this. It's too damn easy to want to "change the channel" and to look or do something else for a bit and that causes a loss in focus.  We need an article on this but yeah, I've realized this very thing and it's not just with boardgaming; I can't focus on a computer game for much length of time either- it's too easy to 'click-away' and go on to a different game or to just pop back over to the message boards or that unGodly facebook or something.  I feel your frustration here - I've been fighting getting a game from the old La Bataille series on the table for months now.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

That's pretty much exactly why I haven't gotten either Carrier or Tokyo Express to the table...the rules' length.

GJK

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2016, 07:53:47 AM
That's pretty much exactly why I haven't gotten either Carrier or Tokyo Express to the table...the rules' length.

Yeah, lost my long and brilliant reply to this message because of an attachment issue but the end point was the ability to make an ebook of the rules that I could annotate and add custom play-aids that others create.  I have one that I've been putting together for Carrier for what seems like years now; I can send a copy your way if interested.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GJK on November 19, 2016, 08:20:57 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 19, 2016, 07:53:47 AM

Yeah, lost my long and brilliant reply to this message because of an attachment issue but the end point was the ability to make an ebook of the rules that I could annotate and add custom play-aids that others create.  I have one that I've been putting together for Carrier for what seems like years now; I can send a copy your way if interested.

Well, hell yeah! If you've done work to make it easier to learn the game, I'd love to see it, GJK!

BanzaiCat

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!