What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Hey, I WRITE content for the "front page." That doesn't mean I read it!

bob48

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 05, 2016, 07:28:09 PM
Quote from: bob48 on December 05, 2016, 03:06:22 PM
Arrived today; 'Dien Bien Phu - The Final Gamble' from Legion Games.

I have a copy coming too.  O0 Site unboxing/review TBD.

Excellent!

I would recommend that you print out the latest rules; v2.2 here is the link on CSW.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd51d86/0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

This is currently getting my attention again.

It ground to a halt previously...allowing my eyes to wander to other treats. But I'm back on it. No AAR this time...just me and the board
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

BTW JD...The Inbetweeners is brilliant. I watched everything our Netflix has on it (the whole series and two movies).  O0

W8taminute

Star Wars Rebellion.  It's pretty good actually.  Surprisingly easy to learn but deep with strategy for either side.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 08, 2016, 08:11:28 PM
BTW JD...The Inbetweeners is brilliant. I watched everything our Netflix has on it (the whole series and two movies).  O0
It's not for everyone certainly - very strong language - but I think it captures some various adolescent male mentalities quite well.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: W8taminute on December 08, 2016, 11:19:58 PM
Star Wars Rebellion.  It's pretty good actually.  Surprisingly easy to learn but deep with strategy for either side.
That's good to hear. I've been hovering my mouse pointer over this now and again.

Is that the base game? Does it come with everything you need or are there essentials that you need to get the most out of it (other units/cards etc)

Also - there's Star Wars Armada and Star Wars Imperial Assault too...what's the difference between them? Or if you don't have the other ones, why did you go for Rebellion?
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

Imperial Assault is 1 mini:1 unit scale tactical ground combat.  It's based off the Descent rules and there are basically two ways to play.  You can do skirmish battles where each player builds a squad by spending points to "buy" units from on the minis they own via a point system.  The other way to play is a campaign style where 1-4 players take on the role of a team of heroes and 1 player takes on the role of the opposition (almost like a GM in an RPG).  They then play out a series of linked battles as they work their way through a scenario book storyline.  The game's a bit of a money pit, especially if you play skirmish mode as you'll need to shell out for the dozens of little add-on packs of miniatures and tile sets.  Minis are unpainted.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the game.  I find the Descent combat rules don't really translate all that well to the Star Wars universe.  The ranged combat feels very clunky to me.  The movement system seems very fiddly and I don't like the fact that melee units don't exert a zone of control so other units can sprint right past them.

Armada is capital ship level combat.  Again, each player builds a force out of the minis he owns by purchasing ships, squadrons, and ability cards using points.  I'm a big fan of this game but it is even more of a money sink than Imperial Assault is as the ship miniatures tend to be a lot more expensive than a few stormtrooper figurines for Imp Assault.  The capital ship minis are painted but the fighter/bomber squadrons aren't (they're tiny).  The setup parameters were a bit limited out of the box but a new campaign system is coming out in a few weeks and it looks like it will add a lot of depth to the game.  It's similar in play speed and style to Sails of Glory but the components are much nicer.  Damage modelling isn't as robust as SoG's but the movement/command system components are much more elegant making it far easier to control multiple ships. 

Rebellion is, for now at least, a stand alone game.  I haven't read of any plans for them to add expansions.  I think if they do, it would likely be by releasing eras rather than new units.  They could put out large expansions to cover the prequels and perhaps the new films as well.  The scale is abstracted and covers the main planets mentioned  in the Star Wars films, TV shows, and other stuff.  It borrows a lot from Twilight Imperium, War of the Rings, and the PC version of Star Wars Rebellion.  It's a fun game but it can start to drag in the later turns due to the fact that each player gets to add more heroes to their activation pool as the game progresses and each hero has the potential to lead a fleet or army, conduct a mission, or attempt to block an opposition fleet, army, or mission.  A fair number of reviewers were a bit down on the combat portion of the game but I think it's fun.  The average game takes about 3-4 hours to play.  The box says it's for 2-4 players but it really is a 2 player game.  The 3 and 4 player rules are frustrating and make it hard for the players to keep from telegraphing their intentions through table talk/gestures.

JudgeDredd

^ ooooh...thank you  :notworthy:

First mini's I ever bought was Memoir '44...never bought another. I think I found them (or at least thought them to be) more expensive due to the extra production values

I might pick this up next year. Can it (Rebellion...or any of them actually) be played solitaire?
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

No, not out of the box.  A key component of gameplay is the use of hero units which get assigned to missions in secret.   In order to counter missions, each player needs to keep some of their heroes in reserve to respond to mission attempts.  Players alternate hero activations so trying to outsmart your opponent is a major factor in deciding which heroes to commit and in what order to use them.  Further, the main goal of the Empire is to locate and destroy the Rebel base.  The base is initially hidden and the Rebel player does have the ability to relocate during gameplay. 

I suppose it would be possible to develop a bot system to control the Empire (might already have been done by someone at BGG) but I don't think it'd be possible for the Rebels.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

Imperial Assault should be getting an app driven opponent that will let you play the campaign game solo.  I just picked up Descent recently and have been using the app to run a solo campaign for me.  Having tonnes of fun with it.

bob48

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 08, 2016, 05:23:06 PM
This is currently getting my attention again.

It ground to a halt previously...allowing my eyes to wander to other treats. But I'm back on it. No AAR this time...just me and the board

:bd: :bd: :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2016, 01:47:44 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 08, 2016, 11:19:58 PM
That's good to hear. I've been hovering my mouse pointer over this now and again.

we covered this on the GrogCast with James Sterrett
http://grogheads.com/?podcast=grogcast-season-4-episode-iiiiii

he talks about some of the strategy, and the hidden depth of the game, and having fun playing it with his son
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers