What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2016, 03:00:27 AM
...I might pick this up next year. Can it (Rebellion...or any of them actually) be played solitaire?

Just to be clear I'll answer your question with regards to Rebellion.  I'm playing it solo and having fun with it.  In Rebellion the Rebels have a secret base located somewhere in the galaxy that only they know the location of.   Now since I'm playing the game alone when it comes time to playing as the Empire I have to ignore the fact that I know where the rebel base is.  I play the Empire turn by trying to guess which direction to take in the search for the 'hidden' rebel base that I would do if I really didn't know where the base was.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, for me at least, I've worked out a method to play the game solo and I like it.  Check out this video which is the one that convinced me to buy the game in the first place.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bison

JudgeDredd

Quote from: W8taminute on December 09, 2016, 06:45:34 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2016, 03:00:27 AM
...I might pick this up next year. Can it (Rebellion...or any of them actually) be played solitaire?

Just to be clear I'll answer your question with regards to Rebellion.  I'm playing it solo and having fun with it.  In Rebellion the Rebels have a secret base located somewhere in the galaxy that only they know the location of.   Now since I'm playing the game alone when it comes time to playing as the Empire I have to ignore the fact that I know where the rebel base is.  I play the Empire turn by trying to guess which direction to take in the search for the 'hidden' rebel base that I would do if I really didn't know where the base was.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, for me at least, I've worked out a method to play the game solo and I like it.  Check out this video which is the one that convinced me to buy the game in the first place.

Thank you and yes - it does make sense. I do something similar - ignore what's in front of me and think what I would do in his shoes.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I've thought about it from that point of view too, but the one thing I can't get quite past is how to determine where the Rebel Base is without knowing already. Ignoring that fact is difficult and I think removes a big portion of why that game is fun. (For the record I've not yet played it, but I own it. And have seen plenty of how to play videos on it over the last many months.)

Anyway, I was thinking of some tokens, maybe. Enough to put one on each planet (other than Coruscant of course) with one of them indicating the base and the others being blank. You reveal them as you land troops on a planet. It's not perfect but not bad.

That means playing as the Empire is a little easier, but how do you play as the Rebels solitaire with the Empire moving around? I think that's a little more complicated. Same with the Empire, to a lesser extent - I mean, you play the Rebels as best you can, but controlling the Empire is going to be difficult when you know where your own base is.

mirth

Just pretend you're the Emperor using your force powers to find Skywalker and the Rebels.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

There is no way I could play a game that requires hidden information like the location of the rebel base solo.  Sure I'd put it on the table to learn the rules and such, but a full on game?  I don't think I could do it.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 09, 2016, 12:44:55 PM
There is no way I could play a game that requires hidden information like the location of the rebel base solo.  Sure I'd put it on the table to learn the rules and such, but a full on game?  I don't think I could do it.

I couldn't either.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 12:45:54 PM
I couldn't either.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 12:45:54 PM

I couldn't either.

Oh, I could and do. It's fun, especially if you use tables to generate decisions for the 'AI' player side.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

I guess it takes a certain breed of player to ignore what secrets he knows and play the game based on what your gut is telling you to do.  You almost have to step outside of yourself to play.  The opposite of achieving zen harmony with the universe!   ;D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

BanzaiCat

Most any game can be played solo. Some are better than others of course. Card play and bluffing are two major factors that obviously don't enter well into it. I'd say a game like Rebellion is best suited for 2 players, but can be played solo to get a good feel for the mechanics.

bbmike

That's why I like PC games that have hotseat mode. I learn the game faster by playing both sides. I did that with Tiller's Squad Battles.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on December 09, 2016, 06:56:23 PM
That's why I like PC games that have hotseat mode. I learn the game faster by playing both sides. I did that with Tiller's Squad Battles.

:))

BanzaiCat

Now I really want to get Rebellion unboxed.

bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 09, 2016, 07:02:44 PM
Now I really want to get Rebellion unboxed.

Me too. Amazon has it for $69.95 right now. I might wait to see if I get any Amazon gift cards for Christmas.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak