What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Got my Tide of Iron loot from the FFG sale.  Somebody in the packaging department needs a slap upside the head.  They stacked all 22lbs of boxes one atop another and didn't put any padding at the bottom of the box.  End result?  The Fury of the Bear box has a not so secret trap door bottom. Duct tape to the rescue!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on December 17, 2016, 08:16:48 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 17, 2016, 08:06:34 PM
Star Trek Ascendancy is on its way to me.  :bd:

I was going to get that but the recommendations for 3 or more players and the be ready for LONG games kind of turned me off. Plus I'm still working on my PhD to learn Star Trek: Frontiers.

I was on the fence about both of these, actually...kept thinking I wanted Frontiers, then Ascendancy, then back to Frontiers, and back again, over and over. It finally boiled down to the fact that Ascendancy has cool bits, looks tremendously easy to get into, and it's not a clone of Mage Knight.

Not that MK is a bad game; I've heard very good things about it, and even though Frontiers is a clone, it's still an excellent game since MK is good.

Regarding 'long' games, it's my understanding you can reduce the number of Ascendancy tokens needed to win if you want a shorter game, or make them more if you want a longer one. Seems like an easy enough fix, but I guess I'll see when it gets here.

I saw too that Gale Force 9 (makers of Ascendancy) are releasing a Ferengi expansion this month, and next June or so are releasing a Cardassian expansion. I reached out to GF9 for a review copy of the new Ferengi expansion. Just three powers doesn't seem much fun, but four or five?

I think I might need the play mat eventually too. Amazon's prices are incredibly f'd up when it comes to these things; Cool Stuff is much better.

bayonetbrant

I think I'm going to get Mage Knight out one day next week and try to get a game in
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 17, 2016, 11:32:17 PM
I think I'm going to get Mage Knight out one day next week and try to get a game in

Pics and an AAR or it didn't happen!

BanzaiCat

I traded for a game called Warrior Knights some years ago, which I keep confusing with Mage Knights.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 18, 2016, 09:02:50 AM
I traded for a game called Warrior Knights some years ago, which I keep confusing with Mage Knights.

another excellent game, if you've got a good cut-throat crowd :)

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/warrior-knights/
(I'll migrate it over here someday as a Classic Review)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

You want me to click on a Wargamer link? Heathen.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 18, 2016, 10:05:57 AM
You want me to click on a Wargamer link? Heathen.

yeah, sorry - haven't migrated that one yet.  Too busy wondering if anyone else wants to write stuff for us...

BanzaiCat

Nah, I clicked on it. I even went so far as to search my name on their site. I was surprised by the amount of content that came up.

bayonetbrant

yeah, they finally unfuggled their content 'migration' that credited Scott Parrino w/ everything that the rest of us wrote over the years.

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 17, 2016, 11:32:17 PM

Good solitaire game!

I want to break mine out again sometime soon, too.  I've only done a couple Solo Conquest scenarios, losing both attempts when within sight of a win.  Bodes well for future solo plays when it's challenging but not a total blowout.  Then there are the new expansion solo scenarios yet to be touched..

Didn't think the game was all that difficult to learn, after running through a game just as the Intro manual suggests.  Even better, much of it is easy to remember when you bust it back out much later... unlike many games with little fidgety rules, it still makes sense and the little special rules are all on a few cards.

Bison

I scored a new Pathfinder GM screen today at a game store in the clearance bin for $10.  They are between print runs right now I think because Amazon clowns want between $60 and $370 for one.  I shit you not.  It's insane what people think they can get for some stuff on Amazon.

BanzaiCat

I finally broke out the DVG Warfighter WWII card game rules and got more than halfway through it, last night. I'm looking forward to trying it out. With all the expansions they sent me there's tons of replayability in this. I'm going to do a couple of play throughs and then possibly do a Let's Play, if I can find a spot in the house that won't be disturbed, now that my mother in law is back in our house again. :(

Crossroads

While you lot stock up with the latest and the greatest, and nothing wrong with that  :bd: , I managed to find this Victory Games classic from 1991  :smitten:

Flashpoint: Golan is a game about a possible fifth Arab-Israeli war. It uses a highly interactive sequence of play. The map contains the Golan Heights and the surrounding area. The major combatants are; Israel, Syria and Jordan with possible intervention by US or Soviet Union forces.

A gorgeous map by Charles Kibler, a ruleset that was at the time considered a top simulation of modern warfare, what's there not to like  :)

Additionally spotted a The Boardgamer issue with a Yom Kippur adaptation by Alan R. Arnold. Quite a treat to replay the whole Syrian attack at Golan Heights here, should be a treat!

Better get that laminating machine warmed up, there's some player aids that need some TLC there  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Additionally, the SPI "Central Front" classics can be played with Flashpoint: Golan rules, apparently. Will need to have a look at that. I have S&T #82 Fifth Corps and found #131 Donau Front (game only) at a tenner as mentioned earlier.

I am now considering getting #88 BAOR and #117 North German Plains from Noble Knights sale, while the separately made boxed game Hof Gap remains elusive. Maybe one day...
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY