What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Crossroads on December 19, 2016, 01:46:51 PM
While you lot stock up with the latest and the greatest, and nothing wrong with that  :bd: , I managed to find this Victory Games classic from 1991  :smitten:

Flashpoint: Golan is a game about a possible fifth Arab-Israeli war. It uses a highly interactive sequence of play. The map contains the Golan Heights and the surrounding area. The major combatants are; Israel, Syria and Jordan with possible intervention by US or Soviet Union forces.

A gorgeous map by Charles Kibler, a ruleset that was at the time considered a top simulation of modern warfare, what's there not to like  :)

I remember thinking that a very attractive game at the time, after opening it.  Oh my, how things have changed. 

Crossroads

Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2016, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on December 19, 2016, 01:46:51 PM
While you lot stock up with the latest and the greatest, and nothing wrong with that  :bd: , I managed to find this Victory Games classic from 1991  :smitten:

Flashpoint: Golan is a game about a possible fifth Arab-Israeli war. It uses a highly interactive sequence of play. The map contains the Golan Heights and the surrounding area. The major combatants are; Israel, Syria and Jordan with possible intervention by US or Soviet Union forces.

A gorgeous map by Charles Kibler, a ruleset that was at the time considered a top simulation of modern warfare, what's there not to like  :)

I remember thinking that a very attractive game at the time, after opening it.  Oh my, how things have changed.

Curious: are you referring to ruleset, or what? I have not yet gotten into the rules in depth, so haven't formed an opinion yet. Anything particular stand out to you in them, in good or bad?

:)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Rekim

What an awesome looking map.

If I had room in my collection for another series I'm fairly certain Flashpoint would be it. Maybe some day....

GJK

Kibler has always been my favorite map artist.  What's intriguing to me is when I talked to him about the transition from hand-painting maps to using a computer and how he was able to transfer his unique style from analog to digital.  Very talented.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Played a game of "Last Battle: Ie Shima" on Saturday at a buddy's house.  Fun game (Judd really likes it and we went off his recommendation). I have never played any of the classic area movement games before (Breakout Normandy, Stalingrad, etc) but have played MMP's "Iwo Jima: Rage against the Marines" and this reminded me of that game very much (and which I enjoy).  Nice little game for $20.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

I've not been a big fan of area movement games in the past, but the more I play Kriegsspiel sorts of games, the more area movement games are appealing to me.

And that map for Golan is a thing of beauty.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

Quote from: GJK on December 20, 2016, 10:51:21 AM
Played a game of "Last Battle: Ie Shima" on Saturday at a buddy's house.  Fun game (Judd really likes it and we went off his recommendation). I have never played any of the classic area movement games before (Breakout Normandy, Stalingrad, etc) but have played MMP's "Iwo Jima: Rage against the Marines" and this reminded me of that game very much (and which I enjoy).  Nice little game for $20.

Looks like a neat little game!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GJK

Quote from: mirth on December 20, 2016, 10:56:09 AM
Quote from: GJK on December 20, 2016, 10:51:21 AM

Looks like a neat little game!

And of interest - Charlie Kibler did the map for this one as well.  ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Crossroads

Quote from: GJK on December 20, 2016, 10:39:20 AM
Kibler has always been my favorite map artist.  What's intriguing to me is when I talked to him about the transition from hand-painting maps to using a computer and how he was able to transfer his unique style from analog to digital.  Very talented.

Kibler definitively one of my very favourites as well. If I'd have to give only one name, I'd probably say Dean Essig myself, but since I don't, I name them both  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

Quote from: panzerde on December 20, 2016, 10:54:51 AM
I've not been a big fan of area movement games in the past, but the more I play Kriegsspiel sorts of games, the more area movement games are appealing to me.

Me either, at least not on a relatively tactical-ish scale. I say that because I actually enjoyed Turning Point: Stalingrad, another area-type movement wargame that's maybe a similar scale to that one.

panzerde

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 20, 2016, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: panzerde on December 20, 2016, 10:54:51 AM

Me either, at least not on a relatively tactical-ish scale. I say that because I actually enjoyed Turning Point: Stalingrad, another area-type movement wargame that's maybe a similar scale to that one.

I can't see it on a pure tactical scale, since it abstracts too much of what's important at that level. It can generally work at a grand tactical level, with decent rules, and is nice at Operational and above, I think.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BanzaiCat

I hate to say it, but *shudder* ASL is probably one of the better tactical combat games. ;)

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 20, 2016, 01:36:37 PM
I hate to say it, but *shudder* ASL is probably one of the better tactical combat games. ;)

You had to go there...

BanzaiCat

If you say "ASL" three times, GJK will come storming in...that's twice now.