Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Nefaro

Quote from: Crossroads on December 20, 2016, 02:18:04 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2016, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on December 19, 2016, 01:46:51 PM
While you lot stock up with the latest and the greatest, and nothing wrong with that  :bd: , I managed to find this Victory Games classic from 1991  :smitten:

Flashpoint: Golan is a game about a possible fifth Arab-Israeli war. It uses a highly interactive sequence of play. The map contains the Golan Heights and the surrounding area. The major combatants are; Israel, Syria and Jordan with possible intervention by US or Soviet Union forces.

A gorgeous map by Charles Kibler, a ruleset that was at the time considered a top simulation of modern warfare, what's there not to like  :)

I remember thinking that a very attractive game at the time, after opening it.  Oh my, how things have changed.

Curious: are you referring to ruleset, or what? I have not yet gotten into the rules in depth, so haven't formed an opinion yet. Anything particular stand out to you in them, in good or bad?

:)

I've not played Flashpoint: Golan since the late 90s. 

That said, I thought the map was very attractive at the time.  I recall liking the counters back then, too, despite being what you'd typically get.  I think it was just the number font or NATO symbols seemed a just a bit more crisp than other wargames I'd owned by that point.  *shrug*  They probably look rather drab today.

As for the game mechanics, I do remember being impressed with them.  They were different enough to stand out of the crowd a bit.  Again, I don't know how it holds up, nowadays, but if I happened upon a used one in a store I'd still consider picking it up (my old copy has been long gone). 

Crossroads

^^ Yes, that's pretty much how it pans out. The map is a thing of beauty, in two interlapping parts.  :smitten:

Counters have stood the test of time less so, both the material and the art are a bit meh for current standards. Additionally, they were cut in a manner the cruft needs to be cut from the center of the edges, not from corners, so counter clippers won't help me out here  :buck2:

As for the rules, I'll have a go at them over the weekend I hope, can't comment on them quite yet.  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GJK

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 20, 2016, 01:39:07 PM
If you say "ASL" three times, GJK will come storming in...that's twice now.

Somebody mention GOD's wargaming gift to us mere mortals?   8)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on December 20, 2016, 05:24:50 PM

I must have missed the discussion about Combat Commander.   :bd:

GJK

Quote from: Bison on December 20, 2016, 05:31:01 PM

You have to hold the right card in order to play that discussion.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Quote from: GJK on December 20, 2016, 05:33:33 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 20, 2016, 05:31:01 PM

You have to hold the right card in order to play that discussion.  ;)

Yes but the fields give me a cover bonus unless I miscalculated the season again.

Cyrano

Hush, now.  I can't hear you over the sound of my 12# Gribeauval battery.

All this current-events rubbish.

Really.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

Here's some cards, courtesy of mirth:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806