What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

And amidst the gibberish, a flagrant act of wargaming occurs.

That is comes from Mirth was not expected.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on January 29, 2017, 04:08:10 PM
And amidst the gibberish, a flagrant act of wargaming occurs.

That is comes from Mirth was not expected.

It's a topsy-turvy world.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Because I know BC loves these pictures when I post them.   ;D

Me and a buddy from the ASL group started J145 "Golden Pheasants" today.  This one is very late war (April '45) in Nuremburg with Hitler Youth and SS mixed vs a large American force trying to secure the town center.  There's a Nazi political officer named Simon ("General Simon") and those officers were nicknamed the "Golden Pheasants". 

The Americans start on the far right in this picture (which is really poor quality, I need to get work to buy me a decent phone/camera!) and have to slog through the town center to get the fortified building that you see full of German units.  I am playing as the Americans in this one and we got through turn 4 before putting it on hold until next weekend.  I've made it through the center map with light resistance but my playing opponent had carefully strewn "dummy" stacks throughout so I was more cautious than I should of been.  That is going to leave me 3 turns to storm that fortified and heavily defended building which is 3 levels and can contain no "Good Order" German units at the end of 7.  Not only is the building fortified (meaning I have to blast my way in with charges), there's trenches and barbed wire strewn about and I've yet to find a hidden StuGIIIG that is out there somewhere. 

I haven't lost any of my armor (yet) so the plan is to get up on that building and Wooly Pete the snot out of it as well as blast it with HE while I storm into the wire. 

The only close call on a tank was when a hidden 'shrek popped up with a beautiful side shot on one of my tanks that was moving down a street but fortunately the shot sailed wide and fell harmlessly.  This should be a fun nail biter next weekend to wrap up.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

P.S. Not my map nor counters and the wrecks that are on the map were placed by SSR- no armor has been lost (again, yet) in this one.  ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I love Eclipse.  Such a great game.  Long as hell but fun.  5 player game and 3 of us this was the first time we played the game.  Game lasted about 4 1/2 - 5 hours.  Close game, but I won by 1 point. 

Full table setup

Close up of the map at the end of the game.  I was tan and easily had the best warships flight in the galaxy tonight.  I few different moves and I could have eliminated a number of colonies from my opponents.  Next time.  No mercy! MAHAHAHAHAHA!

GJK

Dang...I thought that we had a mess with the ASL game....look at that!  Looks like fun though, especially with a group playing.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Yeah.  The game really needs some storage/organization to help with setup and keep it cleaned up during gameplay.  The map board isn't bad, but the tech tree and other bits got disorderly.  The other thing is that we played with all of the expansion, which adds to the clutter.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

It's some Eastern European company, but Asmodee distributes in the states I think.

Ubercat

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2017, 10:15:25 PM
Yeah.  The game really needs some storage/organization to help with setup and keep it cleaned up during gameplay.  The map board isn't bad, but the tech tree and other bits got disorderly.  The other thing is that we played with all of the expansion, which adds to the clutter.

There's and app for it that I have on my iPad. I played about a half dozen games against multiple bots and realized that I'd pretty much experienced everything it had to offer. Haven't played since. At least it saved me from buying another boxed game to take up space on my shelf!  :buck2:
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GJK on January 29, 2017, 09:36:11 PM
Because I know BC loves these pictures when I post them.   ;D

Me and a buddy from the ASL group started J145 "Golden Pheasants" today.  This one is very late war (April '45) in Nuremburg with Hitler Youth and SS mixed vs a large American force trying to secure the town center.  There's a Nazi political officer named Simon ("General Simon") and those officers were nicknamed the "Golden Pheasants". 

The Americans start on the far right in this picture (which is really poor quality, I need to get work to buy me a decent phone/camera!) and have to slog through the town center to get the fortified building that you see full of German units.  I am playing as the Americans in this one and we got through turn 4 before putting it on hold until next weekend.  I've made it through the center map with light resistance but my playing opponent had carefully strewn "dummy" stacks throughout so I was more cautious than I should of been.  That is going to leave me 3 turns to storm that fortified and heavily defended building which is 3 levels and can contain no "Good Order" German units at the end of 7.  Not only is the building fortified (meaning I have to blast my way in with charges), there's trenches and barbed wire strewn about and I've yet to find a hidden StuGIIIG that is out there somewhere. 

I haven't lost any of my armor (yet) so the plan is to get up on that building and Wooly Pete the snot out of it as well as blast it with HE while I storm into the wire. 

The only close call on a tank was when a hidden 'shrek popped up with a beautiful side shot on one of my tanks that was moving down a street but fortunately the shot sailed wide and fell harmlessly.  This should be a fun nail biter next weekend to wrap up.

???

Really, GJK? Really.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2017, 10:27:55 PM
It's some Eastern European company, but Asmodee distributes in the states I think.

I just assumed FFG because of the 3498572034985723049851732095482734 pieces on the table.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 30, 2017, 08:05:53 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2017, 10:27:55 PM
I just assumed FFG because of the 3498572034985723049851732095482734 pieces on the table.

Yeah I can see that.  FFG does love their pieces.

@Uber. I've never played the app but humans are fun.  There is a lot of psychological warfare going on much more than actual combat.  I could see the game getting stale over many plays if players chose the same path but there is a lot of randomization.  Anyway it was my first game so by the time I play again it'll be a fresh experience.

GJK

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 30, 2017, 07:16:09 AM

???

Really, GJK? Really.

We need to meet up on VASL one of these days and play us a little ASL scenario.  That or we need to get you over to the tournament here in June for some face to face ASL.  Shall I reserve us a table?   <:-)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

When I saw the hex tiles and research tracks for Eclipse, I knew it'd be something I could enjoy.  But would almost never be able to wrangle a group up to play.

Hell.. I still haven't played Rune Wars yet, despite owning it for years, and that looks a lot easier to get into.

:-\