What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

The program I linked is free and plays the base game.  You can download a copy of the rules here: http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_240_gameRules.pdf

It's just a fun way to lose an hour or three playing against the AI.

Nefaro

Race For the Galaxy has an expansion featuring an automated AI tabletop board & such, right?

Bison

Bison

Blood Rage arrived in the mail yesterday.  I'm anticipating spending a night or two on the couch in my near future.  Awesome mini sculpts are totally worth it.

ArizonaTank

Played a few games of "The Grizzled" this morning.  Not so much a wargame as a WWI theme game, was still a bunch of fun, with a whole bunch of options and decision making.  I recommend the expansion, adds a whole bunch of flavor to the game.

I may even get my wife to play.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 19, 2017, 10:31:53 PM
Played a few games of "The Grizzled" this morning.  Not so much a wargame as a WWI theme game, was still a bunch of fun, with a whole bunch of options and decision making.  I recommend the expansion, adds a whole bunch of flavor to the game.

I may even get my wife to play.

I've seen a lot of good reviews about it, but I got the impression that there wasn't a whole lot of... meat(?) ...to it.  Was probably just judging by the components and setup.  I haven't watched a full playthrough to get a good idea, though, so I need to do that before final judgement. 

If it has more decision making than I thought, then it's going back on my radar. 

Cyrano

It's a very hard game to win and that's not a bad thing.  There's a lot of theme there and it's actually one of my small group's favorites.  Well worth checking out, although we've not grabbed the expansion.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on February 20, 2017, 04:14:13 PM
It's a very hard game to win and that's not a bad thing.  There's a lot of theme there and it's actually one of my small group's favorites.  Well worth checking out, although we've not grabbed the expansion.

Co-op games need to be difficult to win.  Certainly a good thing. :bd:

I'll look further into it.   8)

BanzaiCat

I brought Cruel Necessity with me to Scotland (seemed appropriate) just in case my evenings were left to me and the weather was bad, but it's been pretty decent on both counts. Haven't had a chance to play just yet but that's not a bad thing.

Arctic Blast

So, I have the week off, and I've been accumulating a load of games through local buys, a national math trade, my Arcadia Quest : Inferno Kickstarter showing up, and a few group buys. This is what I have yet to play, and this is AFTER I've gotten Castle Panic (with all expansions), Orleans (with 2nd expansion), Tiny Epic Galaxies and Tammany Hall on the table to mess around with.

I see much of my week happening around the table...

bayonetbrant

you gotta give us the scoop on Clockwork Wars
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

I'm interested in D-Day at Omaha Beach... I might get that game some day.....

mirth

Holy crap. That's a pile o' games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 21, 2017, 07:31:18 PM
you gotta give us the scoop on Clockwork Wars

Just finished playing around with it a bit. I really like it, but...well, we'll get to that.

Interesting game. Your 'guys' (wooden discs) are workers or troops or spies, depending on where you send them. And deploying guys out is done simultaneously after everyone writes out their deployment orders behind screens. Lots of opportunity for Diplomacy-esque backstabbing and 'enemy of my enemy is my friend. At least right now' type agreements. There will be 9 techs available for research per game, with 3 each in the early (turns 1-2), mid (3-4) and late(5-7) turns of the game. Once one player researches something, they're the only one who can have it. But it has to be based in a hex on the map, and every hex (and tech) can be taken from you.

Troop deployments can be made in hexes you control or neighboring ones, with the chance to 'forced march'  two hexes away. But if you're cut off from a friendly city at the end of a round, you lose strength to attrition due to cut supply lines. Also, all of your units except one per resource hex will be lost at the end of each turn, so nobody can just huddle up in a corner and turtle and assemble an unstoppable force. Each game also has a specific spy faction that gives the majority controller of it (you can deploy here as well as to the map) a bonus. Tech is in three schools (sorcery, religion, science) with different board regions giving points of the resources. Great game all the way around, with a lot of complicated mechanics boiled down into something very easily teachable.

However...I got this in a math trade, and I'm glad that I didn't go out and buy it. When I compare the price point to other games on the market with the same cost, Clockwork Wars does not come out favorably. And the box is annoyingly, needlessly oversized (which is probably half the reason for the cost, since the box contents don't really seem to square with the price point). This just continues what seems to be an annoying trend with Eagle-Gryphon where their obsession with massive boxes and expensive deluxe editions kills their retail presence, since stores don't want to spend valuable shelf and warehouse real estate on something like this when a similar amount of space could stock 2-3 other games instead. If you can find it on sale, get it. If you can't...I dunno. I might suggest passing.

Covering another game in that picture, The Colonists is a somewhat interesting idea drowning underneath several metric fuck-tons of components and a ridiculous playing time. It is now on my trade/sell stack. I don't have the patience for it.

Cyrano

In the spirit of 1977, I called out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

And was requited.

These re-issues are honestly masterpieces...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806