What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Is playing the a requirement for buying the game?  I thought that was an established fact around here.  You know like clipping is good for counter aesthetics.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on March 15, 2017, 03:40:48 PM
That looks awesome. I was so tempted to get in on that KS.... but there's no way in hell im getting my game group to play it.....

It has some solitaire options.  One of the KS unlocks IIRC.

Haven't looked into how extensive they are.  But I don't think there is any hidden information for multi-player games, and most of the game's challenge is of the race/efficiency type without much (any?) direct conflict, so it's probably easier to solo that way too.

I shouldn't say any of it is "easy" considering the amount of rules.  Fortunately the manuals have a lot of pictorial examples and symbology next to the appropriate rules entries.  Also comes with a book further detailing the various, and often experimental/hypothetical, tech portrayed in the game.  Moistened loins.

Would've begun learning this evening, but I have Star Wars RPG learning to do and a first session to scratch up for next week.

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on March 15, 2017, 11:50:09 PM
Would've begun learning this evening, but I have Star Wars RPG learning to do and a first session to scratch up for next week.

I just finished reading Edge of the Empire and started Force and Destiny. I like what I've read so far!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on March 16, 2017, 08:04:57 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 15, 2017, 11:50:09 PM

I just finished reading Edge of the Empire and started Force and Destiny. I like what I've read so far!  O0

It's good stuff.   :bd:   I just gotta get acclimated to running it, then I may start up a play-by-post here in the future.

Bison

Took a risk and picked up a discounted Marvel Legendary for an easy solo game.  I don't mind the game play for what it is, but the set up and storage is kind of a pain in the ass.  Not horrible, but annoying.  I think the kids will dig it because its co-op gameplay, but I think I should have gotten something else.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on March 18, 2017, 12:29:06 AM
Took a risk and picked up a discounted Marvel Legendary for an easy solo game.  I don't mind the game play for what it is, but the set up and storage is kind of a pain in the ass.  Not horrible, but annoying.  I think the kids will dig it because its co-op gameplay, but I think I should have gotten something else.

I think the Legendary Encounters titles are more interesting for solitaire.  More thematically relevant mechanics = much more fun. 

I also look at the Marvel version as being easy enough to play with kids & non-gamers without too much trouble.  Has it's uses.  But the default difficulty is too easy for solo/co-op, so I generally use one of the options to make it more difficult, e.g. adding extra points to the Mastermind cards, and perhaps his lieutenants.

Cyrano

I've not played Marvel, but the family loved Aliens.  Brutally tense and quite difficult, we've made it through the first two movies and are looking forward to the third.

I will nod at Bison re: the decision made by some sadistic bastard in the bowels of the company who decided that the mountain of cards would come unsorted.

Love the mat, though.

It's a definite "any timer" for my closest group.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

The disappointment I have with Marvel Legendary is tempered by the fact I scored a discounted copy of Formula D.  I'm setting it up this evening to learn the basic rules and hopefully the advanced racing rules.  I just wish there was an expansion that added machine guns, rockets, spike and oil traps to the vehicles as a special ability.  Now that would be awesome. 

bayonetbrant

that is an excellent game, and was a tough one to find for a long time until the reprint finally came out.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Just wrapped up a four car race with the basic rules.  It's fun, but I can tell that the advanced rules are going to make it a much, much better gaming experience.

Cyrano

Worth it almost for the 1d30 alone...

Although I prefer the mechanics of Thunder Alley these days...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on March 18, 2017, 10:53:27 PMAlthough I prefer the mechanics of Thunder Alley these days...

The designer is an Origins regular and Columbus native, if you want to meet him this year...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Got El Grande to the table last night.  Good times with the classic area majority game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

My copy of Terraforming Mars finally arrived today.  Just in time for me to start 3 nights of shift work....Bugger.