What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I played Splendor for the first time last week. I was fun, but it was a completely pasted-on theme to a solid set-matching mechanic
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on April 11, 2017, 08:30:14 PM
I tend to jest about people who only play the same single game genre or system all the time, to the exclusion of all else. 

I hear you.  I enjoy all types of games, but I definitely have been playing more euro games lately.  Although I play a lot of family games which are hard to place in the whole "category" thing.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 11, 2017, 08:58:08 PM
I played Splendor for the first time last week. I was fun, but it was a completely pasted-on theme to a solid set-matching mechanic

Yeah Splendor has no theme to speak of other than...uh...gems.  I enjoy it occasionally.  The wife would want it on the table way more than I do, but its a good light 30ish minute game.

Nefaro

That fits my "jigsaw puzzle with a picture on top" metaphor.

I know they're not all quite like that.  But when I see the cover art on a Euro box, my mind tends to lump it in that category by default.  :-\

Think the closest I've come to owning a Euro have been Bring Out Yer Dead and maybe Polis: Fight For The Hegemony.  Although the latter definitely has a wargame theme, and I picked up the former as a simpler one to do with people who don't board game much (plus the unusual "coffin placement" theme to some extent   ;D ).

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on April 12, 2017, 11:32:33 AMThat fits my "jigsaw puzzle with a picture on top" metaphor.

That's totally what it is.  But it's well-done and entertaining.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Utterly theme-less,  but it's a good game. Easy to teach, too.

Bison

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 13, 2017, 02:47:21 PM

Utterly theme-less,  but it's a good game. Easy to teach, too.

But GEMS!

Ok it has no theme at all, but it does have some kick ass poker chips for the gem resources.   :)

mirth

Picked up my copy of Fields of Despair yesterday

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

Never been a fan of WWI games.. what makes this one good?

mirth

Eaay to learn and play, but nice mix of sophistication. Block game with fog of war element that works well. Outstanding production value. Really hits a sweet spot for a board game. Particularly WWI.

Barthheart

Cool. Bring it to Origins and you can teach me.  ;)

mirth

I've been told I'm running it at Origins ;)

Barthheart

mirth

I figured I should know how to play it :P