What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Looks nice. And it has 'made the cut' but how long before it gets printed is another matter.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Crossroads

Today I finally had the time and the chance to delve into Lock'n Load Tactical, and to Heroes of the Gap in particular! Ed, are you watching  :)  And no, I am not selling the game back to you. 

Having toyed around with the Modern demo a bit, and having read the rules and watched a couple of games, for a Panzer Leader / Arab Israeli Wars relic like me the move to Squad level combat was still perhaps even more taxing than what I expected. We had one guy who had the Vietnam module helping us for the first hour, yet it took us probably an hour and a half to get through the first turn, so as to ensure I and we got it as far as how each impulse went and which options are availabel to each units for every activation.

We played Back to Basics, as there were three of us initially, so Team Charlie defending Eisenbach agaist elements of 33d Motor Rifle and 69th Airborne. An out-and-out infantry struggle, quite nice as a learning game, with a decent unit density too. We got into turn four out of five before running out of time and calling it the quits. As it played, Team Charlie had to pull out from Eisenbach Town Hall having lost the units defending it to an Assault Move and then a Melee, after a series of succesful Smoke round after smoke round securing their way in. A Soviet Hero was born there, and if you know Mr Drago you perhaps know not to cross him. So the Motorized Rifle prided them, however, there was no way forward to my Airborne, who apparently got it the wrong way around, rolling high numbers for Smoke rounds and low numbers for fire attacks and defensive rolls.

Something bigger next time, perhaps with a few tanks to go around.

Really looking towards Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honour making it to the table next, will be an interesting comparison.

Gotta love the quality of the HotG content, a proper mounted high gloss map and beautiful chits in three sizes:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Great stuff Crossroads. That's a great module of LnLT. I played on line VASSAL against Mark Walker a few years ago. Great fun. I pull some cheesy moves and he got back at me with solid play.
I should try and see if I still have the recorded logfile of that game. Complete with trash talking log...  :)

panzerde

Hey Crossroads - keep an eye out for the Solo module that's coming out for LnL Tactical. Pretty great AI in it.

There's also a new LnL Tactical Starter Kit coming out, that includes both WW2 and Modern. Someone in this post may have done a couple of scenarios for it...   8)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on April 27, 2017, 01:21:08 PM
Hey Crossroads - keep an eye out for the Solo module that's coming out for LnL Tactical. Pretty great AI in it.

There's also a new LnL Tactical Starter Kit coming out, that includes both WW2 and Modern. Someone in this post may have done a couple of scenarios for it...   8)

Oooooo.... now I want to play your scenarios... can you send me a copy?  ;)

bob48

Are those the ones where you have to use counters that have been clipped?

'Clip those corners'

Barthheart

bob48

'Clip those corners'

panzerde

Pre-clipped scenario dispatched via email...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2017, 01:11:43 PM
Great stuff Crossroads. That's a great module of LnLT. I played on line VASSAL against Mark Walker a few years ago. Great fun. I pull some cheesy moves and he got back at me with solid play.
I should try and see if I still have the recorded logfile of that game. Complete with trash talking log...  :)

It is. I had looked for this particular module for some time but could not find it anywhere. Then Ed put his on sale so grabbed it the minute I saw. Postage from the States cost an arm and two legs, but all worth it at the end. Ed, the gentleman he is, packed a couple of ziplocked games too, including Stick'n Stones, gotta try that one at some stage vs a live oppo  :)

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Cheers, gotta try it. Works on the Modern too, the Solo  that is? I've read about it, looks good.

So you did make some scenarios for the Modern? Would love to try them out  :clap:

Crossroads

Quote from: bob48 on April 27, 2017, 01:26:14 PM
Are those the ones where you have to use counters that have been clipped?

Locked'n Loaded! And no pun intended, as the cards are now sleeved as well  :smitten:

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on April 27, 2017, 01:52:40 PM

Cheers, gotta try it. Works on the Modern too, the Solo  that is? I've read about it, looks good.

So you did make some scenarios for the Modern? Would love to try them out  :clap:

Solo works with ALL the modules in the entire LnLT system. Great fun.  O0

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2017, 01:54:59 PM

So the old ones such as HotG too? That would be awesome! I recall reading the Solo AI was based on the Conflict of Heroes one, which iirc comes with solo specific scenarios...?

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on April 27, 2017, 02:02:42 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 27, 2017, 01:54:59 PM

So the old ones such as HotG too? That would be awesome! I recall reading the Solo AI was based on the Conflict of Heroes one, which iirc comes with solo specific scenarios...?

All means all. I've been testing it with my originals of the series.

There are no scenarios written for the LnLT Solo. You use the scenarios that came with which ever game you are playing. So yes you do have to do some work like setting up the AI's units. But once yer playing it's all AI.