Main Menu

Fallen Enchantress

Started by Zulu1966, October 21, 2012, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

So it is out in a few days - does anyone one have any info on whether this is any good ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Martok

Welcome to Grogheads Zulu

I've not bothered playing the beta, so I can't answer that question yet.  However, since I was foolish enough to pre-order WoM -- and therefore am receiving a copy of FE -- I plan to fire it up when it comes out. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Will those of us who purhcased WoM get a steam code for FE?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

IIRC it will transfer over to Steam.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2012, 10:17:49 AM
IIRC it will transfer over to Steam.

Thats some good news in this crap storm that was WoM.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

I lied.  If this post is still true, you'll have to download through Stardock to get your free copy.

(9) Before anyone asks, no, you can't transfer your FE serial to Steam. I can't go into the details on why this is so don't ask. Just assume it has something to do with gold plated rocket cars or something.  http://forums.elementalgame.com/429972

Sorry about the misinformation and making your week suck again TCT.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2012, 10:35:38 AM
I lied.  If this post is still true, you'll have to download through Stardock to get your free copy.

(9) Before anyone asks, no, you can't transfer your FE serial to Steam. I can't go into the details on why this is so don't ask. Just assume it has something to do with gold plated rocket cars or something.  http://forums.elementalgame.com/429972

Sorry about the misinformation and making your week suck again TCT.

Grrrr..... I really should have just asked for my money back in the beginning.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Zulu1966

Quote from: Martok on October 21, 2012, 10:13:21 AM

I've not bothered playing the beta, so I can't answer that question yet.  However, since I was foolish enough to pre-order WoM -- and therefore am receiving a copy of FE -- I plan to fire it up when it comes out.

Thanks  ;). Reading the small print in the post Bison linked to below - seems as though what is going on sale on steam in a couple of days is still a BETA. And after that there will be another beta. So the actual finished product is still a ways off yet. Funny - its not being advertsied as a beta product on steam.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Bison

Kushan

Quote from: Zulu1966 on October 21, 2012, 11:18:05 AM
Quote from: Martok on October 21, 2012, 10:13:21 AM

Thanks  ;). Reading the small print in the post Bison linked to below - seems as though what is going on sale on steam in a couple of days is still a BETA. And after that there will be another beta. So the actual finished product is still a ways off yet. Funny - its not being advertsied as a beta product on steam.

Whats going up on Steam in a few days is the full game. The post Bison linked was posted back in August and was right before a beta update. Little disappointed that we can't transfer are codes onto Steam. I don't want to use stardock central or whatever SD calls their in house download program.

I've played a little bit of the beta. I've only played 2-3 hours at the most, and most of that was before they started working on balancing or the AI, so I can't comment on those. The art style is the same from WoM. I personally like it, others may not. FE still plays like Civilization. Its got 3 research trees, magic, warfare, and civilization. You can only research one at a time. No more choosing a random tech like in WoM. Maps are now randomized. The game does feel a little more alive. Its got a lot more random creatures wondering around.

One of my complaints with the early betas was that it would always start me right next to a high level mob, or a packs of smaller mobs, that I had no chance of killing that early in the game. Then as I expanded out they would swarm my settlers.

That all being said, I do hope to put sometime into FE in a few weeks. I really liked Fall from Heaven for Civ4, and since Derek Paxton did both I'm really curious to see how the full version of FE plays. I don't think a lot of people here will like it. Given how much it plays like Civilization, if you have Warlock you might feel like your playing the same game. I haven't played Warlock but my impression was that it was basically Civ V with a fantasy skin.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

tgb

I spent a couple of hours with the version just before the one currently available, and it is head and shoulders better than WoM.  Word is the last beta is better yet.  I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Tpek

I actually prefer not to get it through Steam.
I've got enough games through them.
It's nice to have some games that aren't as backup for when Steam goes down and such.

In any case, you won't need any special platform or DRM for this one. You download it straight off the web.
So that's another major plus.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on October 21, 2012, 11:59:20 AM
Given how much it plays like Civilization, if you have Warlock you might feel like your playing the same game. I haven't played Warlock but my impression was that it was basically Civ V with a fantasy skin.

Warlock is nowhere near as deep.  Warlock is basically Civ's UI but strictly combat, and no deeper than Civ's combat either.  Fallen Enchantress is much more involved.

Also, I agree with Tpek.  Not being on Steam is a plus for me, not a negative.  I wouldn't want any single entity to be the sole gatekeeper to my games collection.  The fewer games I have on Steam the better.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tpek on October 21, 2012, 02:49:55 PM
I actually prefer not to get it through Steam.
I've got enough games through them.
It's nice to have some games that aren't as backup for when Steam goes down and such.

In any case, you won't need any special platform or DRM for this one. You download it straight off the web.
So that's another major plus.

+1 to that!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 21, 2012, 04:46:09 PM

Warlock is nowhere near as deep.  Warlock is basically Civ's UI but strictly combat, and no deeper than Civ's combat either.  Fallen Enchantress is much more involved.

I thought Warlock's combat, and specifically the combat units themselves (and levelling them up), was far more interesting than Civ's.   It better be since war is Warlock's focus and it doesn't have all the extra stuff that Civ does.  As I've said, Warlock is closer to a Panzer/Fantasy General style gameplay but in an open sandbox and not as much like Civ despite the similar UI look.

Anyway.. Fallen Enchantress is out today.  I assume any NDAs are completely gone.  So let the critcism begin!  ;)