Main Menu

Fallen Enchantress

Started by Zulu1966, October 21, 2012, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on October 25, 2012, 08:54:39 AM
I played several games of it already.

Nice, but still seems to have some of the cons of the original Elemental, namely, equipment is really not unique enough.
With a limited selection of armors, the way they all look the same, makes troops feel too much like each other, without any faction difference.
And there aren't enough ranged weapons, just 2-3 bows, that are basically a linear progression of the same weapon. (And an amulet that lets you throw knives)

This is sad to hear.  Varied itemization is a must in anything RPG-ish.

Huw the Poo

Well the shoddy installer failed to work the first time (after spending five minutes thinking about it).  It seems to be installing now though, albeit very slowly.  I guess I'll fire it up on the weekend.

TheCommandTent

At this point Im not sure I want to even install my free version.  Maybe I'll wait till it is patched a few times.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

ArizonaTank

I have only played a little so far, but don't see where the comment on lack of weapons and armor types comes from.  For example, I just outfitted a group of militia in leather....had many options for what they could add; boots, greaves, bracers, and at least type types of clubs. 

I'll keep playing to get a better idea.

So far so good...am having fun with it.  Diplomacy seems to work better now as well. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

I saw it while perusing a Gamersgate email sale alert this morning; the new Disciples game was also just released at 10% off.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 25, 2012, 08:59:51 PM
I have only played a little so far, but don't see where the comment on lack of weapons and armor types comes from.  For example, I just outfitted a group of militia in leather....had many options for what they could add; boots, greaves, bracers, and at least type types of clubs. 

I'll keep playing to get a better idea.

So far so good...am having fun with it.  Diplomacy seems to work better now as well.

These are different parts.
But wait until you research all the armors and you'll see how limited your options are.
Linear progression of armor with only 4 "levels".

And like I said, a distinct lack of variety when it comes to ranged weaponry.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Kushan on October 25, 2012, 12:49:02 AM
Tom chick did a write up. Seems like he likes it for the most part.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/10/24/here-lies-the-empire-of-magnar-latest-casualty-of-fallen-enchantress-ai/

True. I also just read his epically hilarious review of XCOM (not to be confused with X-Com). I need to remember more often that Tom didn't disappear into the void after Tom vs. Bruce had to fold. {sadness}

(Please God let Tom vs. Bruce still exist somewhere. Please God let Tom vs. Bruce still exist somewhere. Continually repeating for emphasis.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Huw the Poo

I thought he was reviving/had revived Tom vs Bruce?  I remember it being discussed on the QT3 forum a while back.

I'm not the biggest fan myself, though.  I usually disagree with Tom's reviews and I don't like the way he runs his forum - it's one reason I've never bothered to register. 

JasonPratt

I haven't seen evidence of Tom vs. Bruce on QT3 yet. Maybe on Bruce's site?

No, I don't always agree with his reviews either (just offhand his dismissive review of the Amazing Spider-Man game was objectively wrong on several points), but I do like his writing style.

Kushan

http://www.tomvsbruce.com/

I don't usually agree with Tom either. I like his writing style. I tend to agree with Bruce's opinion more.  If Tom likes FE, then Stardock must have done something right, since he slammed WoM.

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 26, 2012, 01:11:47 PM
I'm not the biggest fan myself, though.  I usually disagree with Tom's reviews and I don't like the way he runs his forum - it's one reason I've never bothered to register. 

He run it with an iron fist? I wouldn't be surprised if you disagreed with his political views he would ban you on the spot.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

JasonPratt

Oh, I see, they only just recently started up again!

Huw the Poo

Just got the following email from Brad Wardell:

QuoteDear Stardock customer,

My name is Brad Wardell. I'm the President & CEO of Stardock.  Two years ago, you bought a game from us called Elemental: War of Magic.  We had great hopes and ambitions for that game but, in the end, it just wasn't a very good game.

Elemental was an expensive game. You probably paid $50 or more for it. And you trusted us to deliver to you a good game. $50 is a lot of money and companies have a moral obligation to deliver what they say they're going to deliver and frankly, Stardock failed to deliver the game we said we were going to deliver.

While we did update Elemental: War of Magic (you can still download v1.4). Its design just wasn't adequate to make it into the kind of game it should be. So we decided to start over. From scratch. We made a new game called Fallen Enchantress.

So even though it's been two years, we haven't forgotten about you.  This week, we released Fallen Enchantress. It is a vastly better game and, we believe, lives up to the expectations set for the original Elemental.  This game is yours. Free. It's already been added to your account.

You can download and play it by going to http://download.stardock.com. 

We hope you enjoy Fallen Enchantress.  Please feel free to visit the Elemental forum at www.elementalgame.com if you wish to talk to me and the rest of the team. We're there and very interested in your feedback.

Thank you for being our customers and your patience.

Sincerely,

Brad Wardell
President & CEO

In my case the spend was close to £100.  I guess I'll give it a go this weekend.

PanzersEast

This or Conquest of Elysium 3?  I have had CoE3 on my scope for a while but never pulled the trigger...... 

PE

Tpek

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 26, 2012, 04:22:10 PM
This or Conquest of Elysium 3?  I have had CoE3 on my scope for a while but never pulled the trigger...... 

PE

If you bought the original Elemental back in the day, you should be getting FE for free.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Tpek on October 26, 2012, 05:13:14 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on October 26, 2012, 04:22:10 PM

PE

If you bought the original Elemental back in the day, you should be getting FE for free.

With Elemental I decided to wait, which was odd because I really liked GalCiv... so I did not pre-purchase and gave up on it.

PE