Starship Troopers: Terran Command

Started by jomni, November 25, 2019, 05:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

I would love to be able to control the ships as well...they were cool. I like the movie but some actors were really not that great.

HoodedHorseJoe

To come back on topic somewhat, while I'd be very interested in a strategy Starship Troopers game, I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of "Order of Battle but Starship Troopers" as a concept.

That's not to say that's what Artistocrats is going to be making, but they're a smaller studio who've only really made OOB in recent years. It's a valid question as to whether they're able to make any other kind of game.

Personally I'd love an XCOM game but Starship Troopers. At most, perhaps something like Age of Wonders: Planetfall, but with a space/strategic layer.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Sir Slash

And topless women... I mean, Troopers with adjustable... battle gear.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: CJReich46 on November 25, 2019, 10:09:04 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on November 25, 2019, 09:38:33 PM
Paul Verhoeven was genius before his time in the way he could shape fascist worlds.

The CGI hasn't aged well but still a fun movie that was robbed by lack of power suits.

I liked Roughnecks- the animation series. It was pretty good as far as how it dealt with the Bugs and the Skinnies.

Same; I generally like it better than the film. It still incorporates some of the satire from the film, but takes the tactical and strategic situations more seriously. It's kind of hard not to appreciate a series that starts with an episode picking up the plot of THE WAGES OF DEATH and porting it into sci-fi power-suit giant bug action!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I have only seen Starship Troopers once back when it was released and barely remember it, but this thread is topless historical cinema comedy gold.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

I'm still waiting for those gender neutral showers and the blasé attitude.  O0

CJReich46

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2019, 11:53:49 AM
Quote from: CJReich46 on November 25, 2019, 10:09:04 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on November 25, 2019, 09:38:33 PM
Paul Verhoeven was genius before his time in the way he could shape fascist worlds.

The CGI hasn't aged well but still a fun movie that was robbed by lack of power suits.

I liked Roughnecks- the animation series. It was pretty good as far as how it dealt with the Bugs and the Skinnies.

Same; I generally like it better than the film. It still incorporates some of the satire from the film, but takes the tactical and strategic situations more seriously. It's kind of hard not to appreciate a series that starts with an episode picking up the plot of THE WAGES OF DEATH and porting it into sci-fi power-suit giant bug action!

I remember watching it as far as when Rico was promoted to LT, and the Queen Bugs invaded Earth. The series never finished the story though sad to say.  I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Avalon Hill game (Sadly never played. But heard amazing things about it.) I think Julian Gollop was influenced by it and SPI's  "City Fight" when he made Laser Squad and later X-Com/UFO.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Pete Dero

https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup

Game (RTS) announcement is live.

al_infierno

Looks like the game is called Starship Troopers: Terran Command.  The little teaser they showed looked cool.

https://www.slitherine.com/game/starship-troopers-terran-command
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

IronX

"Technical Difficulties..."

Haha!

Jarhead0331

Could be fantastic. Could utterly suck. Hopefully, there is a fairly detailed strategic and unit management layer. Units should gain experience and veterancy and level up over time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Rayfer on November 26, 2019, 07:53:27 AM

LOL....actually, yes.  I thought it was a ridiculous, poorly acted train-wreck ranking right down there with the first Dune movie with Sting.  But who knows, maybe it will make for a compelling game.

That was sort of the entire point of the film.  Paul Veerhoven was being as brutally insulting to the source material as he possibly could, and turning it into a self aware satire. 

Veerhoven initially threw the script in the trash when he got it, but his wife convinced him to take the film up and utterly eviscerate Heinlein on screen, betting the studio would be too dumb to even get what he was doing.  She was right.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2019, 01:29:12 PM
Units should gain experience and veterancy and level up over time.

Leaders will do this, according to the dev website.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 02, 2019, 02:28:12 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2019, 01:29:12 PM
Units should gain experience and veterancy and level up over time.

Leaders will do this, according to the dev website.

It would be disappointing if this mechanic is limited to leaders. Since mobile infantry units will be heavily outnumbered, they are extremely valuable to begin with. Granting them bonuses and perks due to experience will drastically add to their value and the loss of a particularly experienced unit could be devastating...I remember the good old days with Ground Control. You really got attached to those unique squads.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18