Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I don't think I.I. is going to object (and even if he did, you might have a solid majority already). So I'll proceed.

Cornelius goes up 5 Influence from 15 to 20; and the Aristocrats farm an extra Influence point to be given to someone other than Corny. Faction total Influence will be 56 after this is assigned. (I.I. should tell me where to put the extra point.)

Manlius goes up 5 Influence from 13 to 18; Militarist new total 40 Influence.

Manlius takes over as Presiding Magistrate (and the new HRAO).

Next Mandatory Business is: should a Dictator be appointed (or voted) this Turn? The Dictator is a very temporary point, NOT an Emperor, and would be the new PM (and HRAO); but he would be able to lead a Force of his own to War, along with drafting a senator to boost his headquarters efficiency (in effect) as Master of Horse.

To be appointed without a vote, both the Consuls must agree on the nominee.

To be appointed with a vote, both the Consuls must at least agree that the Republic needs a Dictator even though they cannot agree on who; allowing the PM to open the floor for Proposals.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 28, 2018, 06:10:59 PM
...Next Mandatory Business is: should a Dictator be appointed (or voted) this Turn? The Dictator is a very temporary point, NOT an Emperor, and would be the new PM (and HRAO); but he would be able to lead a Force of his own to War, along with drafting a senator to boost his headquarters efficiency (in effect) as Master of Horse.

To be appointed with a vote, both the Consuls must at least agree that the Republic needs a Dictator even though they cannot agree on who; allowing the PM to open the floor for Proposals.

I believe we have agreed that no dictator is needed this turn.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

IncompetentIdiot

Quote from: Tripoli on December 29, 2018, 07:54:21 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on December 28, 2018, 06:10:59 PM
...Next Mandatory Business is: should a Dictator be appointed (or voted) this Turn? The Dictator is a very temporary point, NOT an Emperor, and would be the new PM (and HRAO); but he would be able to lead a Force of his own to War, along with drafting a senator to boost his headquarters efficiency (in effect) as Master of Horse.

I believe we have agreed that no dictator is needed this turn.
This is correct.

JasonPratt

Next Mandatory Business then is the Proposal and election of the Censor.

Keep in mind that the Censor can be re-elected: the office doesn't have to switch senators every Turn.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

I feel pretty safe assuming Erax will agree. ;) Probably one more faction vote needed though to be sure of the majority. (But I'll double-check to be sure.)

JasonPratt

Okay, yes, you'll need another Faction besides Erax's Progressives for the majority: technically if the other three all voted against this, they'd win!

You can probably count on I.I.'s Aristocrats. But speaking of them, let me know where your extra farmed Influence point should go. (Not to Cornelius, he generated it.)

IncompetentIdiot

The Aristocrats support Flaminius. Influence to Quinctius.

JasonPratt

Manlius Proposes Flaminius of the Progressives as the new Censor, and the Populists, Progressives, and Aristocrats agree. Flam's Influence goes up 5 from 11 to 16; new faction total 20. (16 + 2 Calp + 2 Plaut.)

I.I. gives the extra Influence point to Quinctius, up to 19, Faction total up to 56.

Presiding Magistrate post shifts temporarily to Flaminius, for Erax to decide whether there will be any Investigations this Turn. Potential targets:

Progressives themselves: Plautius with 2 minor suspicions.

Aristocrats: Cornelius 1 minor; Valerius 2 minor and 1 Major suspicion.

Militarists: Manlius 1 minor; Julius 1 minor, 1 major suspicion.

Plutocrats: Acilius the PontMax, 1 major suspicion.

Aristocrats: no one.

Populists: Aurelius 1 minor; Junius 1 major suspicion.

JasonPratt

Acilius the PontMax gives his fellow Plutocrat Claudius a minor priesthood. Claud's influence goes up 1 to 19; total Plutocrat influence up to 50.

Erax

The Office of the Censor opens a Minor investigation of the PontMax, and invites Cato the Elder to be Prosecutor.

Ethel the Frog

First, I am not guilty of whatever you are prosecuting me for.   

Second, I am the only faction that could possibly get enough influence to keep the Aristocrats in check--right now they are the most influential faction, and they get bonuses when that happens. (I forget what the bonuses are, or I would provide some glorious rhetoric on the dangers posed by Aristocrats--but we all know that Aristocratic rule is fickle and capricious.)

Third, I want the full vote counted, so I know where each faction stands on these frivolous charges.  No one is safe in this system.  To date, I have kept my word and have done no assassinations. 
I did prosecute the Militarists with no warning when they were frontrunners, but they were guilty and we have since made amends. Moreover, I am not the frontrunner, not in a position to grow this turn, and would be happy to provide support to the smaller factions. 

Shouldn't we put these petty disputes behind us an focus on building the empire in a way that will benefit us all? 

malize

Cato will do his duty as requested by the state

JasonPratt

This game is just the best.  :smitten:

The Plutocrats prosecuted the Conservatives, not the Militarists, btw. Since then AzTank's Conservatives have been seriously crippled, though partly that was also due to bad luck.

The Frog is entirely correct about the Aristocrats being in the lead -- in fact Cornelius just crossed the 20 point validity to be Proposed as Consul for Life! Being the leader in total Influence means Aristocrat knights bring x2 votes on every topic pro or con. (The Aristocrats are the main reason why I directly track everyone's total Influence for comparison purposes, although it also makes a difference to the end of the game -- if the Republic survives that long!)