SOTS: The Pit...WTF!?!?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 20, 2013, 03:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I did not see the franchise heading off in this direction...WTF?

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTSPIT/sword-of-the-stars-the-pit

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a fun, fast, light-hearted turn-based RPG, where the tradition of Rogue and other old school dungeon-diving games meets the sci-fi Sword of the Stars universe, where the question to ask isn't "Did you make it to the end?" so much as "How far did you make it into The Pit before the monsters got you?"

Be brave, press on for the sake of your planet, and when all else fails, go out in a blaze of glory!

3 Characters to choose from... Marine, Pilot and Engineer!

30 Levels of ancient evil science between you and the cure!

Improve your character and increase your skills as you try and find a way to survive the depths.

Dozens and dozens of enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars universe!

Over 50 weapons and armors with a variety of special effects including flamethrowers, rocket launchers, plasma cannons and powered Brawler armor!

Randomized augmentation effects (for your equipment... and for you!) make each game unique.

Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.

Over 100 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to ancient exotic tech.

Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help - or maybe hinder - your progress.

Discover and decipher hidden messages, crafting recipes, and pieces of Sword of the Stars lore!

Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation and of course... MONSTERS.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Well it started as a fundraiser program, but the Indigogo funding didn't make it.
They are still going to release it, though.
I pledged back in the day. Not for the game, but to support Kerberos. So I am running in the beta.
I can't tell anything because of the signed NDA, but suffice to say it positively surprised me. It's a pretty cool game with neat retro graphics, all in the SotS world.

The Pit is their own project, not tied to any publisher, as SotS was.
I have no idea what their next plans are.
SotS 2 is still going to be expanded, but I think The Pit isn't going to be so much.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tpek

I wondered how long until a thread about it popped here :P

Yeah, they seem to have decided to make a sci-fi rogue-like game.

I guess they don't feel very much up to the task of doing an AAA title right now (so soon after the debacle of SOTS2's release).

RooksBailey

Seeing how dreadful their Fort Zombie game turned out to be, I am not confident in this project...or any other Kerberos project for that matter.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Oh hell yes!  I'm all about non-ASCII roguelikes.  :D

Hopefully it's got enough in it to be entertaining.  I've put 200 hours into Dredmor and still fire it up on occasion.  Would be nice to have a sci-fi one of fair quality and depth.

Hrmm....
Published on February 19, 2013,

The Pit is nearly ready for release! We have mere hours now before the completed game (and the new demo) are available for download.

Almost ready for release?  Why didn't I hear about this earlier?

tgb

Quote from: RooksBailey on February 20, 2013, 04:32:21 PM
Seeing how dreadful their Fort Zombie game turned out to be, I am not confident in this project...or any other Kerberos project for that matter.

This.  They've released three games - two of which took years to fix, and one that never got fixed at all.

Nefaro

Looks like I'll be the guinea pig this time. 

S'ok.  It's ten bucks so I'll spin the wheel.

The gamersgate page says it'll be released "today".

Arctic Blast

Good grief, what's with the name of this thing? We get that you're trying to create some sort of link to the series you're known for in the minds of potential buyers, but it's AWFUL. What's next?

Sword of the Stars : The Summoning (with the player as a spellcasting necromancer fighting for evil)
Sword of the Stars : The Heat (Who doesn't want to play a game involving a cooking competition?)
Sword of the Stars : Beneath the Waves (thrilling submarine combat!)
Sword of the Stars : The Crunch (Not even a game, it's a tax accounting program!)

RooksBailey

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 21, 2013, 01:17:52 AM
Good grief, what's with the name of this thing? We get that you're trying to create some sort of link to the series you're known for in the minds of potential buyers, but it's AWFUL. What's next?

Sword of the Stars : The Summoning (with the player as a spellcasting necromancer fighting for evil)
Sword of the Stars : The Heat (Who doesn't want to play a game involving a cooking competition?)
Sword of the Stars : Beneath the Waves (thrilling submarine combat!)
Sword of the Stars : The Crunch (Not even a game, it's a tax accounting program!)

LOL!  You almost made me choke on my ice tea with that last program!   ;D +1
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Yskonyn

I agree that the name for the game is just awful.
But if you like Dungeons of Dredmor, but also like a sci-fi setting, then probably you'll like The Pit too.
It's a fun roguelike which doesn't take itself very seriously. It's certainly much less serious than the SotS lore, eventhough it takes place in the same world.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Played a bit this morning.

'The Pit' reminds me of the freeware Roguelike version of Doom.  Except it has more stuff to paw through and find, which was what I thought the Doom Roguelike needed. 

I think The Pit could've used a bit more content-wise, as there aren't any special abilities you can use - it's all skill/stat based modifiers and that's where you point your level-up points. It will still force you to focus on a few of the numerous combat & looting skills, but the RPG system is pretty light but it looks like there's a decent amount of unlockable crafting recipes in it.

It's definitely roguelike in difficulty.  I made it to "Sub Level" 8 on my first run, on normal.  As with numerous other roguelikes it has a little tongue-in-cheek feel and nerdy references like the Sub Level name, amongst others. 

Is it better than Dungeons of Dredmor?  I don't think so.  There's not enough character customization for that, and less content overall.  But it's not bad if you would enjoy the Doom Roguelike with more containers to open and craftable items.  I grabbed it for about $8 at Gamersgate, as it had a small discount on it, and it has absolutely no DRM at all (not even a serial) so I'm fine with the purchase.  I would like to see more added to it, but I'd be willing to bet it's just a one-off side project.

Tpek

Well, I've decided to grab this as well.
Will try it out later.

son_of_montfort

Strange, I backed this and they have not sent the key. Perhaps today? I was under the impression that backers would get a key before release.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Yskonyn

Tpek

This game is quite nice (from the little I got to play it).

It does however REALLY REALLY NEED a Save/Load system.
You shouldn't have to start a whole new game every darn time you have to exit the game.