Pictures of Greatness!

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, June 14, 2012, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

^ Awesome!  Long live Pluto the Ruler of the Underworld 9th Planet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barthheart

QuoteAnother expert, Gareth Williams, associate director of the IAU's Minor Planet Center, said that Pluto is not a planet, citing the official definition, which states that a planet is a celestial body that:

• Is in orbit around the sun.

• Is round or nearly round.

• Has "cleared the neighborhood" around its orbit, meaning it is not surrounded by objects of similar size and characteristics.

Williams said Pluto failed on that third qualification, since it had several other "dwarf planets" near it and also overlaps Neptune's orbit at times.

Not

A

Planet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/02/pluto-planet-solar-system/16578959/

Bison

Williams sounds like a hate filled ass to me and he has now caused me to reconsider whether or not Neptune is a planet since it's always allowing pesky space objects like Pluto, Haley's Comet, and countless other objects to cross it's orbital space with impunity. 

JasonPratt

Crossing Neptune's plane shouldn't have anything to do with it. Especially since Pluto (and Charon) orbit at a quite oblique angle anyway, clearly independent from Neptune's influence.

However, those other things aren't similar in size and characteristics to Neptune; so they don't get to count against Neptune being a planet.

On the other hand, the fact that after all this time Neptune hasn't cleared out Pluto argues in favor of Pluto being a planet!

Besides, "dwarf planets" are still planets, yo.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

W8taminute

Pluto has an atmosphere and it snows on Pluto.  Pluto is a planet. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I personally have no dog in the 'Pluto is a planet' fight (see what I did there?) but if Pluto is a planet then so is Eris and that means that our solar system has not nine planets, but ten!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

I'm down with more planets. 

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 14, 2015, 08:48:59 PM
I personally have no dog in the 'Pluto is a planet' fight (see what I did there?) but if Pluto is a planet then so is Eris and that means that our solar system has not nine planets, but ten!

Even more : there are five objects listed as dwarf planets in our solar system. They are: Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris.
And more will probably be added as we discover them.

LongBlade

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 15, 2015, 03:35:36 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 14, 2015, 08:48:59 PM

Even more : there are five objects listed as dwarf planets in our solar system. They are: Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris.
And more will probably be added as we discover them.

The more the merrier!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus