Pictures of Greatness!

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, June 14, 2012, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Sir Slash

Jar Jar's Travel Agency. 'We-sa treat you-sa right'.  8)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 31, 2016, 02:06:32 PM
Jar Jar's Travel Agency. 'We-sa treat you-sa right' 'You-sa say-in' peoples gonna die?.'  8)

FTFY
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Rekim on July 16, 2016, 07:39:46 AM
yessir. That is the original. Exploded 71 yrs ago today.

Has anyone visited the site? I wonder if you can get close enough to ground zero to see where the sand was turned to glass.

I've not visited, but I did a lot of research on the site when I was considering it as a setting for my novel(s). There is a plaque/monument at ground zero, so yeah, I believe you can walk right up there. I want to say it's not open all the time, though, and since it's in the middle of nowhere you'd best check ahead of time just to be sure before heading all the way out there.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Rekim on July 16, 2016, 07:39:46 AM
yessir. That is the original. Exploded 71 yrs ago today.

Has anyone visited the site? I wonder if you can get close enough to ground zero to see where the sand was turned to glass.

I visited a few years ago when I was stationed a few hours away at Ft. Bliss. It's on a restricted part of White Sands Missile Range if my memory serves (the entire desert valley from El Paso to Albequerque is one big stretch of military reservation) and they only open it to the public two days out of the year. You can walk right into the 'crater,' just a shallow depressed bowl about a hundred yards across, and drag your feet through the green trinitite glass that's there. The legs of the tower that elevated the bomb above the ground for the test are still sticking out of the sand in the middle of the crater, since the tower itself was vaporized. You can also go see the ranch house a few miles away where they assembled the bomb. It's just a dusty Adobe structure, no running water or electricity. Amazing to see how primitive the conditions were under which they were working.

There's a framed letter on the wall of the house from Albert Einstein to Franklin Roosevelt from the '30s. Einstein used it to warn the president about the possibility of creating such a weapon, and speculated that a ship could carry the bomb into a harbor and explode it. What struck me was that at that time Einstein could imagine the technology for an atomic bomb, but not for an aircraft large enough to carry it!

Something else I hadn't realized until I visited there was that the scientists there only bothered to test the implosion design bomb. They already new the simpler gun design would work without testing it, and had already shipped the components for both bombs to the pacific when the Trinity test occurred.

mirth

Con

I had heard about Trinities before still fascinating to learn that each nuclear bomb can leave an imprint that is unique and that the USSR equivalents of Trinities have a different "Russian" entomology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitite

Con

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Sir Slash

Yeah, the fat ones are really hard to get over. Sometimes you have to back-up and gun the engine to get over them.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 08, 2016, 10:14:03 AM
Yeah, the fat ones are really hard to get over. Sometimes you have to back-up and gun the engine to get over them.  ;D

Those aren't fat kids. They're retirees.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

So that's how that tread mark got across abdomen.  :o

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

OJsDad

I figured JFK was the vampire that bit her.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.