Combat Mission series on GoG.com

Started by mbar, June 05, 2019, 08:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

As for the original question: Unless you're super-low on cash, or just want the largest mod roster possible, there's no point getting A Bridge too Far rather than Last Stand Arnhem. (And even then I suspect CC3 has the larger mod list.)

Otherwise it depends a lot on which front or operation you prefer. Panthers in the Fog and Gateway to Caen are both post-Normandy breakout games (going west and east respectively), which don't get simmed a lot.

I don't think there has even been an update to CM4:Battle of the Bulge yet.

CM5:Invasion Normandy was remade as The Longest Day, but it was the first of the series to be remade and it's wonky (which is why it isn't available on GoG yet).

Cross of Iron, on the other hand, was so good that they've never even bothered remaking it, just updating it! It also has, by far, the largest scale of any of the CM games, covering the full East Front war.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Thanks for the CM suggestions anyways, much appreciated, but if the newer CM gave me a headache (tried a demo for a couple hours) I can't see the earlier ones being any easier (but it's worth a look I guess).

The_Admiral

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 14, 2019, 07:44:18 AM
As for the original question: Unless you're super-low on cash, or just want the largest mod roster possible, there's no point getting A Bridge too Far rather than Last Stand Arnhem. (And even then I suspect CC3 has the larger mod list.)

Ah! Interesting.
Ive been told that Last Stand Arnhem didn't manage to re-enact properly the CC2 campaign module (which is what makes it look so unique among all others in my opinion). Was I wrong to believe that, or?

Father Ted

Quote from: acctingman on June 14, 2019, 08:13:02 AM
Thanks for the CM suggestions anyways, much appreciated, but if the newer CM gave me a headache (tried a demo for a couple hours) I can't see the earlier ones being any easier (but it's worth a look I guess).

CMBB is the absolute dog's bollocks (that's a good thing).  The newer games took the already excellent CM concept and made it prettier whilst also increasing the fidelity in terms of element size.  These are good things, but the latter aspect can be slightly overwhelming to the newcomer.  With CMx1, however, the more even balance between playability and simulation make them a great way to get into the series.

And with CMBB you get a huge range of period to experiment with; so, for me, it is probably the best CM title- at least to start with.

acctingman

Quote from: Father Ted on June 15, 2019, 05:21:13 PM

CMBB is the absolute dog's bollocks (that's a good thing).  The newer games took the already excellent CM concept and made it prettier whilst also increasing the fidelity in terms of element size.  These are good things, but the latter aspect can be slightly overwhelming to the newcomer.  With CMx1, however, the more even balance between playability and simulation make them a great way to get into the series.

And with CMBB you get a huge range of period to experiment with; so, for me, it is probably the best CM title- at least to start with.

Thanks for comments. Maybe I will try. For $5 I can't go wrong  O0

airboy

The first three Combat Missions were a lot of fun, and were much easier than the newer ones.  The newer ones are a lot more accurate depictions of combat - and are thus far, far harder to play and win.

The first one: Beyond Overlord has scenarios that are easy, middle difficult, and hard.  The random battle generator can set the force levels to any darn thing you want - really, really easy; easy, even-odds; hard; and a forlorn hope. 

If you are interested in playing something you can win (or get a challenge whatever your skill level), the random battle generator is simply the best.   :smitten:

airboy

I bought (for the 2nd time) Beyond Overlord.

I've had no troubles running it on a newish Falcon Northwest Talon running Windows 10.   :notworthy:

Redwolf

Just a hopeful question:

Is the maximum display resolution still 1600x1200? Anybody manages to run higher?