Crusader Kings III - Coming 2020

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 19, 2019, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I've never played any of the Crusader Kings, is this the one to begin with? I have played EU 1 & 2. So how's this game different?

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Myrmidon

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 02, 2020, 11:21:36 AM
I've never played any of the Crusader Kings, is this the one to begin with? I have played EU 1 & 2. So how's this game different?

Challenging to reply in brief, but basically, whereas the EU games focus on the Early Modern era for Europe and beyond, with the rise of nation states, The CK games focus on the dynastic states that dominated in the era beforehand. 

Your focus is on your dynasty, and making sure it continues.  Your "ruler" is an actual person, with traits, and interactions with all the other persons around him.  You rule as a Count, Duke, or King (or equivalents in Middle Eastern cultures).  While you can conquer and expand said domain, much of the drama focuses around the medieval politics, which gets pretty juicy, so it ends up being a RPG as well.  The historical middle ages and high middle ages were full of incredible drama, and this game delivers the same feel. 

It appears that CK3 delivers more easy to use UI, and reviews have it being easier to learn for newcomers.  If you're looking to jump in, this may be the time. 

Edit: Fixed my quote box... should have previewed first....

al_infierno

If you have any interest in the period at all (mainly on the earlier side, since there's no start date later than 1066) I'd say go for it.  The UI is still a bit wonky and takes getting used to, but I'd agree that the basic gameflow is a lot more obvious than in CK2, not to mention a proper tutorial that takes you through the game and teaches you the UI. 

Gameflow is quite different than EU.  It's important to remember that the game is effectively an RPG with a grand strategy layer, like Myrm pointed out.  Your main activity isn't planning conquests, but making moves to advance your character and your dynasty.  Conquests and map painting are more of a secondary activity compared to EU, even with a Martial-focused ruler.

However, I'll say that the grand strategy aspects (and especially combat) seem to be improved across the board compared to the wack-a-mole grindfest from CK2.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Nefaro

Many fine improvements.

It will take a little, getting used to the way the UI pop-ups work, but I simply adjusted the two Window Lock sliders in the settings to a cozy spot and it's fine.  Tons of relevant info in those pop-ups so I used them often.

I have only a few suggestions for UI improvements, but it's a minor thing considering how long my gaming stretches have been.  Don't even notice the time, or lack of sleep, go by.  Mister sandman can suck it.  :cowboy:    I don't recall the last time I got sucked into such long sessions.  Battletech has probably been the closest in recent years.

There's definitely extra learning curve.  Even for those familiar with CK2.  I mean.. if you prefer to dig into all the nooks and crannies of the mechanics like I do.  Some people don't care so much.

Most everything was improved some way.  There are more checks on quick blobbing, but they're not hard limits for the most part.  It gets a 'Foak-yayah!' from me after a bit under 20 hours.  Been taking some beatings and lovin' it.  Just makes me wanna come back for the challenge in expanding everything. 

Being how it is on release, I only see good things in the future.   :clap:   If they don't try to jam too much junk into the gears past a certain point, as happened with CK2.

Myrmidon

Oh no.... must.... resist....  all those CK2 DLCs would be for naught....

Gusington

^That is my problem. Bought the whole CK2 library (almost) and never got past the tutorials :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Thanks guys. It looks complicated. True or no?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 02, 2020, 09:48:17 PM
Thanks guys. It looks complicated. True or no?

Yes.  That's big part of the enjoyment I get, however.  Big ass complicated sandbox of warlords, incest, raiding, scheming, conquest, marriage, and murder.  Sometimes those last two are one and the same.   ;)

I had enough experience in CK2 to understand the majority of the terminology and how those concepts work in CK3.  I still spent probably an hour digging deep into all the very helpful tooltips-within-tooltips on my first start.  Just to get a deeper knowledge of the new version.  You can generally do that as you play, but I wanted a full view to start on.  It has a tutorial in Noobland (Ireland) but I didn't bother.  Because I'm a tooltip addict who needs his fix.

I've been surprised at how all the little changes and various additions have improved the gameplay.  I went in expecting CK2's breakable mechanics still being strewn throughout, but they've tightened it up.  Yet kept it fun.  More so, I'd say.  Many facets adjusted for the better.  Definitely a welcome evolution, and the additions are great.

I'd gush on about the all the little details I've been noticing in the gameplay, but that would require me to take pages of notes.  Failed my journalist review motivation check.   :nerd:

fran

QuoteBecause I'm a tooltip addict who needs his fix.

Good to know that the tooltips now works seamlessly. In CK2 that was lacking and often just lead them more questions. I often had to alt tab and google to find out certain info.

Nefaro

nelmsm

I can't really tell you why but I find myself enjoying and understanding this version more

Yskonyn

The game has a lot more personality with the full character models.
You can even see things are wrong from the way they look at you.
It causes me to be much more attached to the people in my playthrough than I was in CK2.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Wow...pretty large patch dropped today, not sure I have ever seen a list this long....it might take me the entire day just to read the notes:)  I couldn't even post the patch notes here as it exceeded the max post length.

Link to the release notes

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/

fran

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2020, 04:28:45 AM
Wow...pretty large patch dropped today, not sure I have ever seen a list this long....it might take me the entire day just to read the notes:)  I couldn't even post the patch notes here as it exceeded the max post length.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/

Here is a video summary on the patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZD5XUzZElM&ab_channel=ItalianSpartacus

Now happy that I'm at the point of starting a new game.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: fran on September 29, 2020, 11:46:31 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 29, 2020, 04:28:45 AM

Here is a video summary on the patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZD5XUzZElM&ab_channel=ItalianSpartacus

Now happy that I'm at the point of starting a new game.

I am going to let this game "cook" a little more before I get serious with it.  Just seems like too many things changing or need tweaking....although I fully realize that is pretty normal throughout the life of a Paradox game.  It's feeling like a good winter game to get into:)