General Staff Black Powder

Started by Jarhead0331, August 14, 2023, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Well, the actual game is not released yet, but it appears the tools and Battle Designer bundle are available.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2231050/General_Staff_Black_Powder_Battle_Designer_Bundle/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Just got a Kickstarter message saying the Steam keys for the editor bundle will arrive in 24-48 hours.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Wishlisted so fast I missed the first click!  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

I was able to get in the Kickstarter late and also received the message about receiving a key in next couple of days.  But I was a little confused as to when the actual game was being released and whether the people who kick started also get the game as part of the support or just the editors.  I would think the game eventually being included but releasing the editors first without mention of the game caught me off guard a bit.  Seems like it might be a little hard to use all the editors without having a "feel" on how the game plays out and not being able to test what you might produce unless there is some kind of simulator within the editors.

Either way, this is one of my most anticipated games for the year so glad to see progress.  Can't wait to play the actual game.

ArizonaTank

Hmmm....  I have been an Ezra Sidran fanboy since UMS and UMSII (the late 1980s). But I'm not such a great fan as to buy an editor without a game...that's aspirational marketing if I have ever seen it.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Perhaps they are hoping we'll do scenario creation for them.

JasonPratt

That's a thought. Is there Steam workshop support? I forgot to check the editor for that.

Part of my brain hopes someone will use the engine to recreate the genius Matrix wargame Campaigns on the Danube, which deserved to sell a lot better than it did.  :Dreamer: The engine was practically an adaptation of Flags of the Eagles, which Cyrano ran a few email campaigns on years ago.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bobarossa on August 15, 2023, 09:41:11 AMPerhaps they are hoping we'll do scenario creation for them.

That thought crossed my mind. But then how would we test our creations without the game?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

oops, double post
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

I think your more basic point, Larry, is you can't even have untested scenarios without the game! -- much less test them!

I kind of gathered that the editor has gameplay functionality, however. The game will provide campaigns designed by the devs.

Admittedly, I don't have access to the editor page at the moment to check whether anyone can DO anything with the built scenarios yet, in a $50 program currently for sale on Steam.

Grim.Reaper

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Grim.Reaper

Yep got mine but just the editors...hoping for game keys at some point:)