Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Hey Admiral, any thought to adding an in-cockpit flight sim mode for those who want to slalom dance with Zekes along side Thatch or take a Hail-Mary run at IJN flattops with Waldron?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

The_Admiral

Thank you gentlemen  :notworthy:
A long way to go, but it's always better to know we won't be strolling alone.  :smitten:

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 11, 2019, 09:06:58 PM
Hey Admiral, any thought to adding an in-cockpit flight sim mode for those who want to slalom dance with Zekes along side Thatch or take a Hail-Mary run at IJN flattops with Waldron?

Well, the reason why we are focusing the on the sim environment rather than gameplay right now is because we want to have the sort of deep, strong foundations that will allow us to develop expansions easily, whether we were to scale up (to a higher command level) or scale down (to a platform sim level) the action. Yeah, eventually, and given the legacy of 1942:Pacific Air War looming menacingly over our collective heads, we hope to be able to provide at least some basic air combat action in a future expansion (typically as a CAP fighter). Not sure if you really want to join John in his Hail-Mary run with his 30knots torpedoes (although as you can see he features prominently on our boxart ^^), but at the very least fighter combat shouldn't be too much of a problem eventually.

But still, I made a commitment to getting naval combat and carrier management right first, and we will do just that before we start expanding downwards or upwards.  :coolsmiley:

Destraex

You have me very interested. That video is amazing. This gonna be cmano with its 3d addon in ww2?
I have one thing to say though. A lot of the time these games have a lot of effort put in by the developers on physics and features that mean nothing as the player never sees or more importantly has any control over them. I hope that you guys will make sure the player is not sleeping while all your wonderful effort passes them by. Don't create a giant tech demo. Like a lot of sims end up being. Seen that too many times.
Also make sure their is a point to the sub missions as well as campaign other than just win. Somehow make the player feel the game. Without punishing them and giving them no way to recover.

Anyways I hope my comments help. You seem like you are heading in the right direction anyways.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 11, 2019, 06:33:58 PM

Andrew, you need to be more specific there.  The Pacific is a big place.

Are your loins moistened like a frigid Aleutian ice storm, or are they moistened like the rotting, fecund swamps of the Solomons?

I just want to make sure I get the intended imagery...

They are as moist as the entire volume of its vast oceans!   Moist enough to host their own epic carrier battles and island hopping campaigns.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Barthheart

The_Admiral

Thank you everybody. There won't be a need for close-up pant inspection though, I take your word for it  :coolsmiley:

Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2019, 07:55:42 AM
You have me very interested. That video is amazing. This gonna be cmano with its 3d addon in ww2?
I have one thing to say though. A lot of the time these games have a lot of effort put in by the developers on physics and features that mean nothing as the player never sees or more importantly has any control over them. I hope that you guys will make sure the player is not sleeping while all your wonderful effort passes them by. Don't create a giant tech demo. Like a lot of sims end up being. Seen that too many times.
Also make sure their is a point to the sub missions as well as campaign other than just win. Somehow make the player feel the game. Without punishing them and giving them no way to recover.

Anyways I hope my comments help. You seem like you are heading in the right direction anyways.

Of course, any comment help, even tough ones.
Yes, you might call that CMANO in 3D in WW2, except that a few simplifications might be needed here and there. We want this to run on as many computers as possible, it means that we *might* not simulate single .30 slugs coming out from each and every AA machineguns aboard Lexington when the crew are firing at a plane at any given time if we want the whole thing to actually run on a personal computer (that is, if you're not working at NASA. And if you do, you know you cannot speak for us peons, do you!). We might have to simplify under a certain caliber, or that would be simply too much lead to deal with if you don't have a personal version of a Cray computer.

Regarding the game being cute, well we're not keen on micro management, and you will have plenty of time to admire the action. You're the flag officer, you're not steering the ship during an attack - like Fletcher himself told his staff at Midway, once you put your tin hat, there's not much more you can do other than watch the action unfold. In that regard, it's not that different from watching a combat replay in War in the Pacific. Except that this Val is diving at your face, guns are thumping all around you, water from near misses is showering the flight deck and the chatter on the CAP circuit is actually related to what you see.

But I get your point though - this video is a tech demo because it is made as a tech demo, we needed it for getting in touch with the authorities for some industry subsidies. Our expectation is to be able to release more and more in-game and interface contents as time goes, and ultimately some actual gameplay as soon as possible. For some reasons, I needed to get public early on, so it's still a bit bare-bone - but as you can see, the spirit is there, and quite alive it is!

Again, your comment is very reasonable. And I will not inspect your pants either, no worries!  ^-^

SirAndrewD

Looks like you're starting to get some fans out there Admiral....

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

The_Admiral

Thank you for the heads-up!  :notworthy:
Heading over there to do my thing  :arr:

Ian C

Posted in wrong thread.

rocketman

I have spread the word and the first look vid to the "Few Good Men" wargaming club.

The_Admiral

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: The_Admiral on October 15, 2019, 09:36:42 AM
Thank you everybody. There won't be a need for close-up pant inspection though, I take your word for it  :coolsmiley:

Quote from: Destraex on October 12, 2019, 07:55:42 AM

Of course, any comment help, even tough ones.
Yes, you might call that CMANO in 3D in WW2, except that a few simplifications might be needed here and there. We want this to run on as many computers as possible, it means that we *might* not simulate single .30 slugs coming out from each and every AA machineguns aboard Lexington when the crew are firing at a plane at any given time if we want the whole thing to actually run on a personal computer (that is, if you're not working at NASA. And if you do, you know you cannot speak for us peons, do you!). We might have to simplify under a certain caliber, or that would be simply too much lead to deal with if you don't have a personal version of a Cray computer.

Regarding the game being cute, well we're not keen on micro management, and you will have plenty of time to admire the action. You're the flag officer, you're not steering the ship during an attack - like Fletcher himself told his staff at Midway, once you put your tin hat, there's not much more you can do other than watch the action unfold. In that regard, it's not that different from watching a combat replay in War in the Pacific. Except that this Val is diving at your face, guns are thumping all around you, water from near misses is showering the flight deck and the chatter on the CAP circuit is actually related to what you see.

so something around the idea of a WW2 / Homeworld control?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd