Another 11 Thousand Media People Fired

Started by airboy, July 21, 2020, 11:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Another 11,000 people in the news media have lost their jobs in 2020.

It seems that few are willing to pay for news.  Advertisers generally avoid news programming (online & broadcast) because it associates their brands with things that upset people.  The combination of this continues to hammer news employment.  Even when people read/watch the news - the advertising revenues keep shrinking because advertisers in general don't want to be next to something that upsets people.

McClatchy papers (biggest owner of newspapers in the USA) went bankrupt and was purchased by a hedge fund.

US Newspapers have bled out since Craig's List & Facebook killed their classified ad revenues, since sports coverage (outside of high school and below) have been killed by national websites, and you can get your comics/crossword puzzle/etc.... online for free or better if you pay a little.  The Yellow Pages mostly died (replaced by online searches).

As a old guy who subscribes to multiple newspapers - my kind is rapidly dying off.

See:  https://www.axios.com/newsroom-layoffs-2020-c509fb2d-ef58-4fcf-bcdd-3d40022a7a39.html

Gusington

Sad...when I was a kid one of my dreams was to be a newspaper reporter. Progress, I suppose.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

The left wing media are so biased today that I have a hard time feeling sorry for most of them.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bobarossa

Quote from: Ubercat on July 22, 2020, 09:46:16 AM
The left wing media are so biased today that I have a hard time feeling sorry for most of them.
Umm, this is General Discussion, not Religion, Politics, and FLame Wars.

Sir Slash

And so, 'Generally' I agree with Ubercat. The media have dug their own graves by their blatant bias. I don't feel sorry for them. Well, I did for second..... now I'm over it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: bobarossa on July 22, 2020, 09:54:34 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on July 22, 2020, 09:46:16 AM
Umm, this is General Discussion, not Religion, Politics, and FLame Wars.

I think the decline of news media employment is due to economic factors, especially substitution of less expensive means of conveying targeted advertising.  Plus, the general decline of reading as more entertainment alternatives became available.

I posted this here because it was a news item that most will miss and the information itself was nonpolitical.

Gusington

I agree that most people just do not read anything more than a blurb or two anymore.

This community here is an exception.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

The MSM is so political these days that a good argument could be made that any discussion of them is by definition political.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on July 22, 2020, 10:57:29 AM
I agree that most people just do not read anything more than a blurb or two anymore.

This community here is an exception.

sorry. didn't get past "blurb".  :)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Less than 2 minutes long and quite funny.  NSFW

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd