What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Ensign Horta is only a secondary character :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 05, 2017, 04:26:35 PM
Ensign Horta is only a secondary character :P

But...Ensign....Horta.
Now, I'm not saying they would stop a Horta from joining Starfleet if that's what it wanted to do (no Horta would ever want to join Starfleet). But if it did it would never be assigned to a starship. Its rock hard ass would be immediately shipped off to Rigel XII to dig tunnels in order to get at all of that sweet dilithium (they said lithium in that episode but meant dilithium). And even then it wouldn't get to keep any of the profits the greedy miners made.
Now if you will excuse me there's a bourbon with my name on it calling to me. Horta in Starfleet. Sheesh.  :coolsmiley:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 05, 2017, 04:45:14 PM
^Speciesist.

That's exactly what Commodore Mendez said until I told him about the dilithium mining thing.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Mike, you should absolutely read Spock's World. I had forgotten just how good it is. Lots of very cool Vulcan lore.

And Ensign Horta is only in it for a couple pages ;)

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 10:20:38 AM
Mike, you should absolutely read Spock's World. I had forgotten just how good it is. Lots of very cool Vulcan lore.

And Ensign Horta is only in it for a couple pages ;)

That ubiquitous Horta is everywhere!
I can't remember if I read that one or not. I do remember when it came out and Waldenbooks had posters of it everywhere.  :D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Diane Duane does an outstanding job creating a fascinating history for the Vulcans and Romulans.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 11:07:55 AM
Diane Duane does an outstanding job creating a fascinating history for the Vulcans and Romulans.

She really should do a Horta one.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

besilarius

http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/implacable-foes

Implacable Foes pretty thoroughly puts paid to the myth that Japan was on the verge of surrendering, and it was not necessary to drop the A bombs.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 07, 2017, 11:15:41 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 11:07:55 AM

She really should do a Horta one.  :P

That might be a little rocky.

Greybriar

I just started reading The Big Switch, book 3 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove. :coolsmiley:
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

airboy

Quote from: besilarius on June 11, 2017, 08:13:14 AM
http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/implacable-foes

Implacable Foes pretty thoroughly puts paid to the myth that Japan was on the verge of surrendering, and it was not necessary to drop the A bombs.

This got a very favorable review in the Wall St. Journal.  I put it on my wish list to track the price for the future.

airboy

Quote from: Greybriar on June 11, 2017, 02:16:32 PM
I just started reading The Big Switch, book 3 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove. :coolsmiley:

I'll be interested to see if you dislike the main plot change as much as I did.