Lock n Load's Battles on Demand series

Started by Crossroads, November 12, 2017, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Anyone tried these out yet? https://store.lnlpublishing.com/series/battles-on-demand-series

I'd like to order Against the Odds, but I don't really understand how they come together.

There's the download version available at a discount, but I'd rather have a full readily playable game, with map sheets and counters there, with no need to print anything out myself.

Is that what the full price set includes?
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

I knew I saw this somewhere, it was in the What's on your table thread

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 28, 2017, 03:23:49 PM
Just arrived...

So looks the real thing! @BanzaiCat have you opened it (Against The Odds) yet? Full little game, is it? Pictures please   O:-)

Damn but Wing And A Prayer looks awesome (too). LnL's really putting some gorgeous games together  :smitten:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

Yup, I've got some pics taken of it - I just need to put it into an article.

When I first opened it I was pretty confused - I didn't know LnL did print-n-play type games where you have to mount it yourself.

I'm wrapping up a review of A Wing And A Prayer and a few other things but this unboxing is on my to do list before Thanksgiving.

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2017, 11:58:10 AM
Yup, I've got some pics taken of it - I just need to put it into an article.

When I first opened it I was pretty confused - I didn't know LnL did print-n-play type games where you have to mount it yourself.

I'm wrapping up a review of A Wing And A Prayer and a few other things but this unboxing is on my to do list before Thanksgiving.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing them. As for the game, so not a cardboard thing, but sticker style sheets instead?

BanzaiCat

It's not sticker-style; you have to mount it yourself.

There's a couple of cardboard sheets included but if I remember right there's at least three pages of sheets (but only two cardboard sheets). So, I'm not sure if those inserts were meant to be reinforcement (as it comes in a zip bag), or if they were intended to use as a backing for he sheets - or both. You'd need to use your own adhesive and then cut them out.

If you don't have a rotary cutter, I'd recommend using one of those.

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2017, 12:47:24 PM

There's a couple of cardboard sheets included but if I remember right there's at least three pages of sheets (but only two cardboard sheets). So, I'm not sure if those inserts were meant to be reinforcement (as it comes in a zip bag), or if they were intended to use as a backing for he sheets - or both. You'd need to use your own adhesive and then cut them out.

OK, maybe I'll wait to see your posts about unpacking it before ordering myself. I was looking towards proper counters especially, would not have minded thinner map sheets. 

As for rotary cutters, yes, bought a set a while ago.

So maybe i need to order this regardless the fact that I was looking forward receiving a mounted game.

Edit: To give the rotary cutters their true baptism of fire, that is   :)

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 12, 2017, 12:57:11 PM

So maybe i need to order this regardless the fact that I was looking forward receiving a mounted game.

It is Platoon scale, it is Golan Heights 1973, it is an order placed  :smitten:

I'll make a post of putting it together, once I got it.

BanzaiCat

I had a feeling you'd be someone to order it before you see an article / unboxing on it.  O0

You'll go far at GrogHeads. We're a bunch of game enablers.

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2017, 03:34:51 PM
I had a feeling you'd be someone to order it before you see an article / unboxing on it.  O0

Couldn't pass on this one, that's true.

I am really looking towards the When the Lion Roars of the WaW´85 fame. Still not even at a pre-order stage, but this should help me pass at least some of the time, in the meanwhile.

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2017, 03:34:51 PM
You'll go far at GrogHeads. We're a bunch of game enablers.

O:-)

Crossroads

I picked the parcel today from post office, how neat.

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2017, 12:47:24 PM

The countersheets in fact are stickers, there's four of them, with two cardboard sheets as you mention. Chits will be two-sided, front with a full sized unit and a step-loss one in the reverse. So all good there.

Then there's the four three map sheets, in very thin cardboard (I guess, rather than being thick paper),  the player aids, and a neat color manual.

Very nice first impression for the series, this is the first for me as perhaps was obvious from my opening post.

I'll get to this over the next weekend, might take a couple of pics while at it.

A match made in heaven for the Fiskars rotary cutter + mat + metal ruler I bought a while ago I am sure  :smitten:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 27, 2017, 11:15:14 AM

I'll get to this over the next weekend, might take a couple of pics while at it.

Had a fun three hours putting the games together. Here's a few pictures as promised.

Required accessories, first:

- Rotary cutter. You really want one. I've got a couple of first class cutters as well, and while you can use those too, you really want the rotary cutter as it is so much easier to use, especially on small targets like finalising the chit edges.

- Cutting mat, to go with above.

- Metal ruler, with a rubber strip at the bottom so it does not move around.

- Oregon Lam clippers. Because of course  O:-)

- I had a couple of scissors around in case they would become handy. They didn't. Not needed.

Here's the finished article, just to prove it is possible.

Crossroads

Here's the zip bag and its contents:

- Four counter sheets, printed on sturdy paper with a sticker side.
- Two cardboards to mount the above
- Three map sheets
- Player aids, with game coversheet inner sleeves having them as well
- Manual in full color.

Crossroads

Counter sheets first. I decided to try the second sheet first, containing mostly markers.

Counter sheets are an exact match to cardboards, which is very nice. I removed the cover from the adhesive, and put it on. Of course I got it a couple of millimeters off at the end.

Only then I realised the adhesive cover can be taken off in little strips, idea being you can position the sheet perfectly on the cardboard, only then glue the 5mm strip in the side to place.

Then, removing the rest of the adhesive cover, it is easy to make a perfect fit.

No harm done with my first attempt, as I was now able to put the second sheet to place exactly on a similar way, 2mm off at the other side  8)

Crossroads

Here they are, Counter sheet #2, front and back  :)

Crossroads

Time to try out the rotary cutters. I thought it better to do a test run at the edge, first, to see how it played out.

It played out just nicely  :smitten: