It's FINALLY Here - GrogCast Season 4!

Started by bayonetbrant, September 27, 2016, 07:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

There was a novel. Steve Perry wrote it I think.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2017, 09:21:13 AM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 22, 2017, 09:12:42 AM
Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 06:15:51 PM
The Zahn books are okay and I give Zahn a lot of credit for carrying the franchise through a moribund period. It's hard to believe today, but after Return of the Jedi the SW franchise was pretty much dead for almost a decade. Lucas was done with it, no one knew if there'd ever be another movie and little else was going on with it. Zahn's books changed all that and renewed interest in SW in a big way. I'm just not a huge fan of the stories, but I will acknowledge what he did for SW.

So did Lucas want to jump back in and do more films directly because of the Timothy zahn books ? I love the movies , but I've never really delved much into the background of the whole thing . What's the relationship between zahn and Lucas ?

Zahn was hired by Lucas to write the official follow-up after Return of the Jedi, and Lucasfilm had deemed them "canonical".

Whether or not Lucas was 'inspired' by Zahn to go back to the first 3 movies is unknown, but I doubt it, since they were 8 years or so apart.

When Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, they jettisoned all of the "official" continuity from the post-Jedi Lucasfilm efforts (several book series and several graphic novels - Dark Empire was incredible) and completely rebooted everything, and that gave us The Force Awakens.  It also deprived us of ever seeing Thrawn on the big screen as he was written in the Heir to the Empire series, where he was a serious bad-ass.

They put Thrawn back into canon through Rebels, so it's not impossible for him to show up in a future film.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

^^^^^
I know, but no one expects him to be the HBAIC the way he was in Heir to the Empire.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 06:32:26 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 21, 2017, 06:29:50 PM
So it's basically the "Spock Must Die!" of the Star Wars universe?

Heh. I haven't read that one, but I read pretty much every Star Trek novel written through 1989 and 90% of those books were drek.

Hah! Spock Must Die! is actually the only ST novel I've ever read. Some day...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2017, 09:39:40 AM
^^^^^
I know, but no one expects him to be the HBAIC the way he was in Heir to the Empire.

They made Vader a badass again with Rogue One. They could do it with Thrawn. The period between ROTJ and Force Awakens is open territory.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 05:56:10 PMThey're not great books (yes I'll get shit for saying it). Don't spend a lot on them.
The Zahn books were fantastic.  The ones after that were kind of 'meh'.

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 05:56:10 PMThe best Star Wars Expanded Universe stories can be found in the Dark Horse comics.
Mostly true. 
Dark Empire I was fantastic.
Dark Empire II was a steaming pile of poached goat balls.

The ongoing series were uneven, but more good than bad. 
The advantage that they had was that they were significantly better than the old Marvel ongoing Star Wars series from the mid-80s, which was targeted at 10-year-old boys whose lunch money never made it from the bus to the classroom*.  Dark Horse realized those 10-year-olds had all grown up some where along the way and treated them as adults when writing for their audience.

* so basically, Mirth.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

So in both your opinions mirth and Brant , has Disney buying the Star Wars franchise completely ruined what Lucas was trying to do with it ? I definately need to read this stuff to understand what's gone on , but I loved rogue one because it explained how they got what they needed to destroy the Death Star . The whole story of stardust was really enjoyable :)

And I'd sooner talk to real people than google any day , lol , I hate/love google , it's always a last resort for me ....I'm weird !!!!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

Nah, I think Lucas had lost his way.  I don't know that Disney was the right move, but Lucas hanging onto it wasn't doing the franchise any favors any more.

Staggerwing

^^^^^

HBAIC? Heap Bad-ass in charge?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2017, 10:02:14 AM
Nah, I think Lucas had lost his way.  I don't know that Disney was the right move, but Lucas hanging onto it wasn't doing the franchise any favors any more.

That's good to know , that it was rescued as a strory , rather than lost or locked away in a vault somewhere  :-\

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 22, 2017, 10:02:44 AM
^^^^^

HBAIC? Heap Bad-ass in charge?

That's what I was wondering , lol :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2017, 09:58:00 AM
Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 05:56:10 PMThey're not great books (yes I'll get shit for saying it). Don't spend a lot on them.
The Zahn books were fantastic.  The ones after that were kind of 'meh'.

Quote from: mirth on January 21, 2017, 05:56:10 PMThe best Star Wars Expanded Universe stories can be found in the Dark Horse comics.
Mostly true. 
Dark Empire I was fantastic.
Dark Empire II was a steaming pile of poached goat balls.

The ongoing series were uneven, but more good than bad. 
The advantage that they had was that they were significantly better than the old Marvel ongoing Star Wars series from the mid-80s, which was targeted at 10-year-old boys whose lunch money never made it from the bus to the classroom*.  Dark Horse realized those 10-year-olds had all grown up some where along the way and treated them as adults when writing for their audience.

* so basically, Mirth.

Which should be read first then ? The book or the comic ?

bayonetbrant

Heir to the Empire takes place before Dark Empire I and II

Emeraldlis

Cool  8) the book it is then :) is this book the very beginning of the whole Star Wars thing then ? Please tell me there's no prequel to that ......or prequel to that , lol , because although I loved rogue one , I NEED that to be the beginning !!!!!! I'm getting all prequeled out  :wow:   ;D

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 22, 2017, 10:02:14 AM
10-year-old boys whose lunch money never made it from the bus to the classroom*. 

* so basically, Mirth.

I learned to walk to school. Lots of a-holes on the bus.

mirth

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 22, 2017, 10:15:30 AM
Cool  8) the book it is then :) is this book the very beginning of the whole Star Wars thing then ? Please tell me there's no prequel to that ......or prequel to that , lol , because although I loved rogue one , I NEED that to be the beginning !!!!!! I'm getting all prequeled out  :wow:   ;D

Well, Brian Daley wrote a series of Han Solo books set before the first Star Wars film. Those were pretty good for back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Adventures

Then there's Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster. That takes place immediately after the first SW movie and was written as a sequel in case the first movie bombed and Lucas couldn't do a big budget second movie. That book isn't great, but a it's worth a read for nostalgia purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

Under no circumstances, should you subject yourself to Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu. It was basically unreadable.