Pro Strategy Football 2021

Started by Old TImer, September 16, 2020, 02:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old TImer

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281170/Pro_Strategy_Football_2021/

Pretty decent Pro Football SIM.  Reminds me of Front Page Football 98 (which is high praise).
In early access but eminently playable.  Mods for various NFL/AFL teams and decades.....
even a college football mod.  Worth a look if you're into American football.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: gregb41352 on September 16, 2020, 02:15:46 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281170/Pro_Strategy_Football_2021/

Pretty decent Pro Football SIM.  Reminds me of Front Page Football 98 (which is high praise).
In early access but eminently playable.  Mods for various NFL/AFL teams and decades.....
even a college football mod.  Worth a look if you're into American football.

It's actually fully released, they didn't have any early access for the game.

In the past I was hesitant on this game because it wasn't as robust as some of the other football games, but for some reason this year it has really clicked.  I like it a lot and have played it quite a bit since released.  At first I thought I wanted to have all the bells and whistles of GM type games, but turns out I actually like it's simplicity.  Developer support has been great and for only $20, well worth the price in my opinion.

Phantom

I've played & enjoyed the 2020 version (once I'd got the NFL league mod) so may well get the 2121 version for the updated teams & I think slightly better "action" graphics. The latter is the games only weakness IMO as whilst the 80's arcade style has some charm, I'd prefer a straight top down view with player names/positions like 2nd & Ten.

al_infierno

Quote from: Phantom on September 17, 2020, 01:00:47 PM
whilst the 80's arcade style has some charm, I'd prefer a straight top down view with player names/positions like 2nd & Ten.

Heh, this is such a delightfully Groggy thing to say.   :notworthy:

Game looks great, for $20 how can I say no?  I tried to get into OOTP years ago but found it mind-boggling.  This looks a lot more manageable.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

I've played & enjoyed the 2020 version (once I'd got the NFL league mod) so may well get the 2121 version for the updated teams & I think slightly better "action" graphics. The latter is the games only weakness IMO as whilst the 80's arcade style has some charm, I'd prefer a straight top down view with player names/positions like 2nd & Ten.

But in 2nd and Ten, there is zero animation...just shows field position:)  ActionPC Football has top down view, names, etc and has animation (although maybe not always the best but very serviceable).

As for 2021 version of PS Football, they added names on the field for key players prior to the play so it has improved things a little.  I didn't play a lot of the past versions so I can't really comment how different anything else is.

Phantom

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 17, 2020, 02:54:26 PM

But in 2nd and Ten, there is zero animation...just shows field position:)  ActionPC Football has top down view, names, etc and has animation (although maybe not always the best but very serviceable).

As for 2021 version of PS Football, they added names on the field for key players prior to the play so it has improved things a little.  I didn't play a lot of the past versions so I can't really comment how different anything else is.

Yes, that's all true, which is how I ended up buying PS football, as on balance I thought it the better game (even with the space invader graphics :)). There's also a lot more explanation of plays which for me as a relative newbie is very welcome. Adding names is definitely a plus.

Pro Strategy Football

Hey, thanks, everyone, for checking out my 2021 game!  I did add a lot to it, as you can tell (with help from some incredible testers), and I'm already talking to an artist about improving my 2D sprites for next year.  They will be higher resolution and more colors, but also have more sprites for movements.  This year, I added support for custom audio mods as well, and as a college fan, I want to expand that later this Fall or next year, to include team-specific chants, etc.

Thanks again!

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Pro Strategy Football

Exactly!  The game ships with a nice little 12-conference, 130-team college league, but it's just a basis.  The colors and uniforms are right, but I couldn't use the real names.  However, another modder has a mod with the real names and logos, looks good!  Course, neither he nor I really knew what ratings to put in there, so in one Sim, Clemson beat some poor team by over 80 points!

MetalDog

An elite, power house program has beating an opponent by 80 points within their scope of outcomes.

Pro Strategy Football

Great point, and the best teams are definitely rated highly - ALA, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.

al_infierno

I hope it can accurately recreate my Falcons' famous 28-3 route in all its majesty.   :pullhair:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MetalDog

Is that similar to their 29-10 beating of the Cowboys today?

al_infierno

Quote from: MetalDog on September 20, 2020, 11:35:46 PM
Is that similar to their 29-10 beating of the Cowboys today?

#:-)   :timeout: :pullhair:

- MengJiao