My Trumpeter 1/35 Challenger II

Started by JudgeDredd, February 10, 2013, 09:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I need help please.

I am a "virgin" when it comes to making ground vehicle models...and I'm not sure of the colour I've started with.

In the pic you can see I've used the less "sand" looking of the paints - but I'm not sure that's the right colour I'm using. The paint I'm using seems more "pinK" like the SAS used in WWII in the desert

So - am I using the wrong colour?

Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

there should be a paint guide in the instructions that tells you the paint number for testors and humbrol.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Well - there are numbers surely - but I don't know what they refer to.

like "H 313 313" with the first number being a black number on a white background and the right hand number white on a black background. It says next to it "Sand Yellow" - but the number doesn't relate to anything Humbrol do - which only goes up to 250.

I bought 2 Humbrol enamel colours - Desert Sand (250) which looks like the pink colour and Brown Yellow (94)...no "Sand Yellow" exists in the Humbrol range - hence my confusion.

When I bought the tank I looked around and pretty sure someone mentioned using Brown Yellow. I've started to paint it in the Desert Sand and definitely don't think it's the correct colour (though would be spot on if I was making a LRDG "Pinky")

I'll give the brown yellow a go and if it's no good, I'll have to look for something else...maybe even mixing a bright yellow with white to pale it a bit.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=118594&page=1

so I guess as long as your in the ballpark the color is good to go.  you can base coat with one color and salt the second.

TheCommandTent

Looking forward to seeing your work on this one JD.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 10, 2013, 03:02:18 PM
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=118594&page=1

so I guess as long as your in the ballpark the color is good to go.  you can base coat with one color and salt the second.

+1

Since I've picked up painting historical minis I've learned a bit about color.

There are - somewhere I'm sure - formulas for the original exact color match. The problem is that I'm not sure which, if any, companies actually use them. Tamiya's color for late German panzers is slightly different than Vallejo's. Muddled into the mix for anyone without the true formula is that any existing color photographs may not have represented the exact tone due to processing issues. Further issues like weathering would have caused the paint to fade over time. In addition, the Germans used a rust-red primer color which also would have affected the color.

All of this, I'm sure, Star could tell you with greater authority than I.

Suffice it to say that as long as you have something close you'll be fine. Don't sweat it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tuna

Looking forward to watching this Project JD!.. One of these days I'm gonna break down and open a kit myself.. lol.. I've got plenty to choose from if I choose to. Surprised the wife hasn't complained, about that.. two shelves full down cellar and I haven't touched a model in like 6 years!

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Progress for modelling is so slow in the winter because of the bad light and my eyes. I do have a desk lamp, but that seems to hinder more than help.

So I only really get any work done on Saturdays and Sundays - and only if the rugby isn't on - which it is for the mo.

Got a free weekend this weekend with no rugby though - so apart from a couple of bike rides, I should have plenty of time to do some work.

I am finding model IFV's much more laborius - and patience sapping - than aircraft. So SO many little bits - working out what should be painted before assembly etc...

Also I have to repaint the pieces I've already painted - and may have to again if the colour doesn't seem right.

Questio for anyone who's done AFV's...things like the "machanical" bits the wheels go on (suspension?) - I was thinking they probably wouldn't be painted sand coloured - but likely remain black with a metal look...yes? No?

But - enjoyable.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

everything gets painted.  but dont stress over it to much as armor gets coat after coat of paint in real life.  build the model, get a first coat of paint on it and then worry about corrections later.  there are quite a few tricks you can pull at that point.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: LongBlade on February 10, 2013, 05:34:56 PM
In addition, the Germans used a rust-red primer color which also would have affected the color.

\

any armor vehicle you paint shoud be base coated in floquil oxide red or boxcar red paint.

GDS_Starfury

FYI all Floquil spray paints are awesome.  its made for small scale railroad modeling so the actual paint is of a very fine grind.  its very deep color wise, reacts well to weathering and covers to scale.

JudgeDredd

don't have a spray gun - yet.

It's my birthday soon - so who knows? :-)
Alba gu' brath