Rome Total War II Mod: Hellenika

Started by MengJiao, February 25, 2022, 05:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Well, its built on the Sparta DLC, more or less the Peleponesian war, but redone.  I took the local Persians and invaded Rhodes.  Things got nautical:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 25, 2022, 06:50:09 PM
Is this a mod?

Yep.  You have to go to the workshop and get Hellenika population, and then Hellenika 1-5...it has some cool aspects and is the result of several earlier mods.  One interesting thing
is (I guess to model the thetes or oarsmen at the root of Athenian power) units are based on segments of the population: nobles, warriors, foreigners and commoners (ie oarsment and light troops or
how you build the Athenian empire).

Also its a nice escape from the whole real world at the moment.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Gusington

Heh, looks like they all have somewhere to be.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 26, 2022, 08:51:40 AM
Heh, looks like they all have somewhere to be.

They are an enthusiastic bunch and the game forces you to employ more light troops since you don't have that many foriegners (specialized troops), nobles (top of the line formations), or warriors (the best archers and basic medium troops)...but you have thousands of "commoners" (in Athenian terms, citizens who don't have the money to get hoplite gear).  The commoners can fill the light spear, javelin and archer spots and/or most of the fleet.  They are actually pretty effective since the game seems to  be as much aimed at modelling the Athenian fleet as anything else.  I imagine the Spartans have a lot of nobles and warriors, but I'm Persian at the moment and benefiting from the Athenian models built into the game structure.

Sir Slash

The long-anticipated version 1.3 update for the DEI Mod for Rome 2 has just come-out as well. Lots of changes. I've got to make time to give it a look-see.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^I downloaded the new DEI last night - looking forward to it!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Old TImer

deleted by author

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 26, 2022, 09:03:51 AM
nobles and warriors, but I'm Persian at the moment and benefiting from the Athenian models built into the game structure.

I gave up on Persia and tried Athens.  Early on I sent a small army on a probe into Boiotia.  They attacked!  I was outnumbered and they had a lot more of the superheavy hoplites.  I had archers but they had more and heavier cavalry.  So I strung out the light hoplites I had and they destroyed the heavy cavalry.  Then I outflanked the heavy hoplites and hit them from behind with cavalry thus winning the day for Athens (as you can see here):

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 27, 2022, 06:57:41 PM
Why'd you drop Persia?

The game is very hoplite-oriented and the Persians really can't face a hoplite-heavy army, I discovered much to my horror.  So on to Athens.  A lot of different hoplites even the thetes can be hoplites of a
sort...thetes being usually thought of as oarsmen, but hey, its their game.

Gusington

Ah ok. The Ancient Greek aficionado in me can't wait to try this out.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on February 27, 2022, 07:50:52 PM
Ah ok. The Ancient Greek aficionado in me can't wait to try this out.

I'm playing on Easy and I have no idea how many things can go wrong.