The game you've always wanted to play that doesn't exist

Started by hellfish6, June 10, 2020, 07:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellfish6

Quote from: al_infierno on June 10, 2020, 02:34:11 PM
I've always wanted a Rockstar open-world game like RDR or GTA set in Nazi-occupied Europe, which places you in the shoes of a partisan fighter.

I always thought a Cold War-style open world spy/espionage game in Europe ala Rockstar would have been awesome. We kinda got the TV show Archer instead, but still...

al_infierno

Quote from: hellfish6 on June 10, 2020, 04:15:13 PM
I've always wanted a Rockstar open-world game like RDR or GTA set in Nazi-occupied Europe, which places you in the shoes of a partisan fighter.

I always thought a Cold War-style open world spy/espionage game in Europe ala Rockstar would have been awesome. We kinda got the TV show Archer instead, but still...

Speaking of Archer, I always liked the idea of a GTA style open-world Archer game where you have a hub area in New York to dick around and commit shenanigans, and missions would take you to open-world areas for famous cities and Cold War era setpieces like jungles, Soviet bases/rocket silos, etc.

It would be tough to pull off, but the shenanigans Archer gets into on the show would be the perfect theme for a lighthearted open-world dickaround-and-kill-people game that doesn't take itself too seriously.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

I want a game about the night bombing campaigns of RAF Bomber Command that offers the flight sim and crew management aspects similar to B-17 (but with updated graphics) and robust electronic warfare and navigation systems.  It should also have a detailed management system that lets you control the bigger picture by researching and implementing technology, tactics, and doctrine, target assignments, squadron management, etc.  Playable as the RAF or as ze Germans.

hellfish6

Quote from: al_infierno on June 10, 2020, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: hellfish6 on June 10, 2020, 04:15:13 PM

Speaking of Archer, I always liked the idea of a GTA style open-world Archer game where you have a hub area in New York to dick around and commit shenanigans, and missions would take you to open-world areas for famous cities and Cold War era setpieces like jungles, Soviet bases/rocket silos, etc.

It would be tough to pull off, but the shenanigans Archer gets into on the show would be the perfect theme for a lighthearted open-world dickaround-and-kill-people game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Hell yeah.

Father Ted

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 10, 2020, 04:47:17 PM
I want a game about the night bombing campaigns of RAF Bomber Command that offers the flight sim and crew management aspects similar to B-17 (but with updated graphics) and robust electronic warfare and navigation systems.  It should also have a detailed management system that lets you control the bigger picture by researching and implementing technology, tactics, and doctrine, target assignments, squadron management, etc.  Playable as the RAF or as ze Germans.

A pukka flightsim which is also a MMORPG where you crew a WW2 bomber?

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2020, 07:51:04 AM
A would say a 4x that combines the breadth and complexity of Aurora, with AAA graphics and both tactical space fleet and planetary combat along the lines of the Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Replace "Aurora" with "Distant Worlds" (Aurora is just a bit too much for me), and I'd say that's what I dream of as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I never go at to play the original Manhunter from ~1990 so...a modern Manhunter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

I was really intrigued by what this game demo was presenting as a large-scale, real-time operational WW2 game (...because we can never have too many WW2 games...  ;) )

https://store.steampowered.com/app/821680/Military_Operations_Benchmark/

But unfortunately it appears to be vaporware. It seemed almost impossibly ambitious to me, so I'm not really surprised it never panned out, but this was getting near an ideal WW2 strategy game for me --

MetalDog

An RPG that doesn't lead you by the nose, however gently, to the heroic conclusion and my adventures are so epic that they become a bestselling trilogy that gets picked up by Netflix or HBO and I can retire comfortably to play the next bestseller.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 10, 2020, 07:16:09 PM
I never go at to play the original Manhunter from ~1990 so...a modern Manhunter.

Ugh, I wasn't fond of Manhunter.  I finished the first game but I felt it was overly hard and not in a fun way.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

hellfish6

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 10, 2020, 07:35:40 PM
I was really intrigued by what this game demo was presenting as a large-scale, real-time operational WW2 game (...because we can never have too many WW2 games...  ;) )

https://store.steampowered.com/app/821680/Military_Operations_Benchmark/

But unfortunately it appears to be vaporware. It seemed almost impossibly ambitious to me, so I'm not really surprised it never panned out, but this was getting near an ideal WW2 strategy game for me --

I talked with them a bit before their Steam tech demo came out and I got the impression that they were comfortably funded. I'm not sure what happened to them - they seemingly disappeared overnight.

reapagan

Guardians Agents of Justice from Microprose, super hero version of XCom. Canceled 1 week before release. Completed but never released as far as I know. I am convinced that someone somewhere has and is still playing this game, my own personal conspiracy theory.