The game you've always wanted to play that doesn't exist

Started by hellfish6, June 10, 2020, 07:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetbrain

A game that encompasses all the aspects that were the Guadalcanal campaign, probably 2d only. As far as I am concerned it would include everything that makes a good wargame and be balanced (variations should be allowed).
Mostly harmless

Myrmidon

If Dwarf Fortress ever reaches it's full apex, that would be it, although I certainly love playing it in it's current state.

That or, a blend of a remake of the Merchant Prince 2, one of my all time favorite historical trading games, with a totally player driven online economy ala Eve online. 

Apocalypse 31

Game Idea #1

- 4-player Cooperative shooter (think Ghost Recon Wildlands meets Deep Rock Galactic)
- Each player fills a class (Assault, Engineer, Marksman, Medic)
- Teams conduct scouting missions to gather intelligence
-x number of intelligence "points" unlocks 'raids' to capture, kill, destroy, seize, etc

Destraex

A realistic version of total war. One that has clear well made soldier graphics at sll ranges of zoom. One thst has a seemless zoom like steel division all the way out to the strategic map. This way larger operational level flanking and scouting could be involved. Re enforcements could arrive naturally and raiding forces properly intercepted. I would want a lot of scourge of war mechanics like courier orders and delay. Sieges and castles would work properly witthout any of the broken wall shenanigans work arounds in current total war games. In addition all the complexity of something like Victoria 2 or hearts of iron and war in the east would be included. You could of course play this coop or vs and have up to 20 players in real time. No cheesy half arsed mechanics would be allowed, except time compression of course. A complete unit painter would be included. A switch (allow player created non historical units) would also let you create your own units. The game would also not shy away from units such as germanic light cavalry with light infantry hanging off saddles or mixed weapon barbarian units.
I want every single man to interact and be realistically effected by the men around him ( thats right, no pc bs either 99% of fighters in antiquity were men so call a spade a spade) to grow and change with battles and for covilians to be on battlefields and act in a realistic way. What I would not care sbout was who was rooting who and the exagerration that any pc agenda causes in a game. Let history be history based on what we logically know. Not what people want it to be. Unfortunately their would have to be slavery.
It would be a game that would teach much of the ancient world and combat formation mechanics would be very detailed. Men would have weight and would not slide around or mis match animations as in the current total war gsmes.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Martok

Quote from: Martok on June 10, 2020, 07:03:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2020, 07:51:04 AM
A would say a 4x that combines the breadth and complexity of Aurora, with AAA graphics and both tactical space fleet and planetary combat along the lines of the Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Replace "Aurora" with "Distant Worlds" (Aurora is just a bit too much for me), and I'd say that's what I dream of as well.
I may have to amend this... 

I forgot I also want a "good", modern 4x game set in the Star Trek universe.  I don't care if it's called Birth of the Federation 2, or something else, but I want it.  Bad. 

Not that I don't love the original BOTF still -- it will always be one of my favorite games of all time -- but it suffers from numerous issues, including bugs that were never fixed, poor AI, and a few questionable design choices (including being very difficult to mod).  And of course, the game is now over 20 years old, and it shows. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

hellfish6

There's a Star Trek mod for Stellaris. I don't know if that's gonna scratch your itch, though

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on June 13, 2020, 03:02:20 PM
Quote from: Martok on June 10, 2020, 07:03:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2020, 07:51:04 AM
A would say a 4x that combines the breadth and complexity of Aurora, with AAA graphics and both tactical space fleet and planetary combat along the lines of the Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Replace "Aurora" with "Distant Worlds" (Aurora is just a bit too much for me), and I'd say that's what I dream of as well.
I may have to amend this... 

I forgot I also want a "good", modern 4x game set in the Star Trek universe.  I don't care if it's called Birth of the Federation 2, or something else, but I want it.  Bad. 

Not that I don't love the original BOTF still -- it will always be one of my favorite games of all time -- but it suffers from numerous issues, including bugs that were never fixed, poor AI, and a few questionable design choices (including being very difficult to mod).  And of course, the game is now over 20 years old, and it shows.
Yeah....fully with you.

Martok

Quote from: hellfish6 on June 13, 2020, 05:10:38 PM
There's a Star Trek mod for Stellaris. I don't know if that's gonna scratch your itch, though
Stellaris...sigh.  That game is a textbook example of They Changed It, Now It Sucks.  I could almost weep for what was/might have been.  :( 

For one glorious year, it was my favorite space-strategy game of all time.  But then the devs forced hyper-lanes/star-lanes on us; it sucked, but the game was still pretty fun.  Then they made colony management and the economy so byzantine as to be thoroughly unenjoyable -- and unlike in Distant Worlds, you cannot/dare not automate that stuff -- plus made sectors even worse than before. 

You say anything critical about it in the Paradox forums, and you get shouted down by the fanboys, who have all drunk the Kool-aid and have convinced themselves that the Emperor really is wearing new clothes, and so nothing changes...  I'm almost more sad than angry. 

Quote from: Anguille on June 14, 2020, 01:28:09 AM
Yeah....fully with you.
Cheers, Anguille.  O0  It's times like this I wish I understood computers well enough to have gone into programming when I was younger.  Then maybe I could just start making the damn game myself instead of simply wishing for it.  :P 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

hellfish6

Quote from: Martok on June 14, 2020, 03:14:26 AM

Stellaris...sigh.  That game is a textbook example of They Changed It, Now It Sucks.  I could almost weep for what was/might have been.  :( 

Ha, to be honest, I never really liked Stellaris.

FarAway Sooner

I'd love a game that was the Bastard Lovechild of Distant Worlds: Universe and every High Fantasy 4x title released since Master of Magic.  Fantasy 4x games have always been my cup of tea, but even the best ones are just Civ I clones stamped onto a fantasy setting.  I'd very much prefer something where I have A LOT LESS control over the universe around me, but am trying to chart my way through it with thoughtful and resource-consuming nudges to guide development in a particular direction.

DWU really did a better job of making me feel like I was in an immersive universe, rather than just pushing sprites around on a vastly complicated chessboard.  They also did a very interesting job of interjecting story arcs into the game, although I would have preferred some of the random events be a bit more episodic in nature (e.g., if a refugee fleet bearing colonists and one advanced tech battlecruiser arrives at my frontier on Turn 50, I'd love to have whoever they're fleeing show up sometime around Turn 150 or Turn 200, demanding that I surrender the fugitives to this new power).

I'd really love something that blended 4x games with a bit more story telling and RPG.  Amplitude did a good job of this, but most of their factions are just a bit too alien/original for me...

ArizonaTank

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 16, 2020, 02:36:58 PM
I'd love a game that was the Bastard Lovechild of Distant Worlds: Universe and every High Fantasy 4x title released since Master of Magic.  Fantasy 4x games have always been my cup of tea, but even the best ones are just Civ I clones stamped onto a fantasy setting.  I'd very much prefer something where I have A LOT LESS control over the universe around me, but am trying to chart my way through it with thoughtful and resource-consuming nudges to guide development in a particular direction.

DWU really did a better job of making me feel like I was in an immersive universe, rather than just pushing sprites around on a vastly complicated chessboard.  They also did a very interesting job of interjecting story arcs into the game, although I would have preferred some of the random events be a bit more episodic in nature (e.g., if a refugee fleet bearing colonists and one advanced tech battlecruiser arrives at my frontier on Turn 50, I'd love to have whoever they're fleeing show up sometime around Turn 150 or Turn 200, demanding that I surrender the fugitives to this new power).

I'd really love something that blended 4x games with a bit more story telling and RPG.  Amplitude did a good job of this, but most of their factions are just a bit too alien/original for me...

Assume you have seen this - DWU II in development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFCy5sIwPo
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Martok

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 16, 2020, 02:36:58 PM

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a game like this either.  A fantasy 4x with DW-like mechanics would be amazing. 

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 16, 2020, 02:36:58 PMI'd really love something that blended 4x games with a bit more story telling and RPG.  Amplitude did a good job of this, but most of their factions are just a bit too alien/original for me...
Stellaris does an amazing job of story-telling in its campaigns, via events and event-chains.  A pity it's so bad in other ways. 

Sir Slash

How about a game where you manage a on-line forum with a bunch of crazy, overly opinionated, Nerds hang-out making bad puns and pseudo-sexual jokes about everything? Would anybody play that? "Dongleheads" maybe?  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I play that every day with a ton of DLCs and mods. It's a lot like Zork on quaaludes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

If CIG and Roberts deliver at least 80% of what they promise in Star Citizen, it would be the game of all games.  It's fun now as a buggy alpha, but feels like it's just scratching the surface of what it could be.