The game you've always wanted to play that doesn't exist

Started by hellfish6, June 10, 2020, 07:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellfish6

Quote from: Skoop on June 17, 2020, 12:05:07 PM
If CIG and Roberts deliver at least 80% of what they promise in Star Citizen, it would be the game of all games.  It's fun now as a buggy alpha, but feels like it's just scratching the surface of what it could be.

Hasn't that been in development for, like, a decade now? And wasn't it excessively funded? WTF happened?

Skoop

It's still going, like DCS, a constant work in progress.  At buggy Alpha state, it's still better than all space sims.  So just imagine how it'll be when they get to 70% completion.  Like DCS, the reality is, it'll never be done, they'll just keep adding new stuff forever.

Father Ted

Quote from: hellfish6 on June 17, 2020, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: Skoop on June 17, 2020, 12:05:07 PM
If CIG and Roberts deliver at least 80% of what they promise in Star Citizen, it would be the game of all games.  It's fun now as a buggy alpha, but feels like it's just scratching the surface of what it could be.

Hasn't that been in development for, like, a decade now? And wasn't it excessively funded? WTF happened?

It's a ridiculously ambitious project.  Punters loved the vision that the devs were pushing (and who wouldn't?) and so threw money at them.  Unfortunately masses of money does not necessarily equal ability to turn visions into playable games.  Yet they've said that given the dosh they will produce this behemoth, so I guess they've got to keep trying.

Obvs. that's just my opinion.

marnetromburg

Hey, you got a very nice idea for the game. I see the game you described as an XCOM game but with new features and gameplay. Personally, I would like to play in the GTA/Red Dead Redemption-like game where I can play the game and get paid for it. Today I play only games to win money online, different slot video games, or MMORPGs where I can sell stuff to the other players. Thanks to information on this site partnersinfire.com that helped me find good ways to earn money online.

FlickJax

An RPG with an intelligent AI that could make up responses as you play as a DM would :)

Father Ted

Is it me or does the OP pretty much describe Shadow Empire?

Thomm

I always wanted to play an AAA gunner on a  warship in the pacific in WW2.

To see if I could actually hit anything.

Best regards,
Thomm

Pete Dero

Quote from: Thomm on February 23, 2022, 11:33:38 AM
I always wanted to play an AAA gunner on a  warship in the pacific in WW2.

To see if I could actually hit anything.

Best regards,
Thomm

You can actually do that in Pacific Storm Allies even it is not the main focus of the game.

(https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/11/pacific-storm-review)
There's an action mode that allows you to jump into and out of direct control of any friendly aircraft in the tactical battles. Once in the cockpit, you'll have full control of the craft and can dogfight with enemy fighters, intercept enemy bombers or launch your own bombs and torpedoes at enemy ships. The action mode also allows you to man the AA guns on any ship in your fleet.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/11260/Pacific_Storm_Allies/
ENGROSSING WORLD WAR II ACTION AND STRATEGY - Diplomats, strategists and fighter jocks will all have a place in the game; seize the day from behind a deck gun, in a plane's cockpit, or as an admiral in the fleet's strategic planning room.

This is an older game (2007 !) but if you decide to get it you should also get this mod https://www.pacificfury.net/   https://www.pacificfury.net/pacific-storm-allies-1-8

Toonces

Somebody already mentioned it previously, but my dream game would be something like War in the Pacific, with the ability to drill down to the tactical level - think exporting a tactical battle to something like Carriers at War, and then drilling futher down to a sim like Silent Hunter or IL-2.

What's frustrating is that I don't think it would even be that hard to implement if the proper files could be assembled and exported from WitP into a scenario format compatible with the sim's single mission mode.

On a happier note, I think Task Force: Admiral and Seapower both have the opportunity to achieve a 90% solution of other dream games I want. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on February 23, 2022, 12:03:23 PM
Somebody already mentioned it previously, but my dream game would be something like War in the Pacific, with the ability to drill down to the tactical level - think exporting a tactical battle to something like Carriers at War, and then drilling futher down to a sim like Silent Hunter or IL-2.

And how long do you think such a campaign would take  :hide:.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jamus34

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 23, 2022, 12:38:31 PM
Full sensory body suit VR Kate Upton encounter.

Immediately followed by a full bodysuit VR chestburster
Insert witty comment here.

Geezer

Total War Warhammer 40K.  The only game I would ever need.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Geezer on February 23, 2022, 02:05:03 PM
Total War Warhammer 40K.  The only game I would ever need.

Give GW/CA enough time and that one will likely come to pass. 

BFG Armada II is pretty danged close.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback